TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

No Antifreeze At Dragstrips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 8:41pm
Much worse than oil.

Oil they have the technology to clean. Having been loose in it at the 1200 foot mark I can verify it was a puckering experience. Did stay shiny side up. This was at an evening race, and a street car had puked the entire engine at the top end. They worked on it for an hour and I was one of the first reasonably quick slick cars. Extraordinarily disturbing when your engine suddenly revs out of control and hit the rev limiter when you are already doing 130.

Shut it down for another hour to work on the track more.

Anti freeze is bad stuff. Not practical to take it out of a street car though.
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2019 at 2:41pm
I have always used antifreeze in my race car.

Luckily I never had a problem but I guess I need to change that.
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
idrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2019 at 2:50pm
The rule at our local track is 13.99 and quicker water only....but since newer cars can run into the 11's not sure how that may apply now...I think I will leave antifreeze in the AMX this year...and only change out the Gremlin....I put coolant in it in the winter....do not like fixing freeze plugs....

Edited by idrambler - Mar/01/2019 at 2:52pm
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2019 at 9:17am
Interesting.....sure makes you think
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2019 at 3:03pm
At Mission Raceway in Vancouver BC they don't want the antifreeze, though I have not seen them enforce it stringently on street cars. They seem to not be excessively worried if there is a catch bottle. The permissable option seems to be "Water Wetter", which does give the boilover and corrosion protection, but does not help with freezing. Might be an option for garage kept cars and those in California. 

Chris 
amxron View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2019 at 1:48am
Distilled water works great.

Ron.
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2019 at 7:52am
How do you flush out existing antifreeze? The block has drain plugs but that won't get it all out. Do you just refill with water, run it, drain it and repeat several times?

-Steve-
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2019 at 2:29pm
An old Prestone Flush Kit pieces, Garden hose adapter Tee from kit Tee in-line of heater hose, kit provided "spout" snaps into radiator neck, piece if 1" or so clear hardware store hose on spout, start motor, start engine, flush system, repeat maybe ?
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2019 at 6:24am
I've been reading a bunch on what to use for coolant. Arguments about de-ionized water, distilled water, Water Wetter..... there are a ton of opinions.

It's going to be a pain to swap coolant and antifreeze twice a year just to hit the track a few times.

-Steve-

javsst View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javsst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2019 at 8:35am
It sounds as though not too long in the future you'll only be seeing EVs running at the track :)

Definitely going to be a pain if you occasionally run a car at the track.

Also, I recall when Englishtown was open, there was always a few of the imports that would blow something and they would dump synth oil on the track and it would quite a while to get that cleaned up over regular oil.

Steve
1970 Javelin SST Bittersweet Orange 360/T10 4 Speed AMC20 w/3.54s
1969 AMX BBO 360 with TF727 AMC20 w/4.10s
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic