TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

No Antifreeze At Dragstrips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Antifreeze At Dragstrips
    Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 6:50pm
I'm finding out dragstrips don't allow traditional antifreeze so to be legal it has to be removed and replaced.

Since there are water jackets all over the inside of the engine how does one get it all out? I know there are drain plugs in the block but does that allow all the coolant out?

Thanks,
-Steve-
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 7:16pm
I would suggest just flushing it out with copious amounts of water.

In my case, I found that the drain plugs in the bottom of the block didn't actually go through into the water jacket, so removing them didn't achieve anything.

You could knock a couple of core plugs out, but that is hard work if the engine is in the car.

I use this stuff now:

Quote 10 Tenths Race Coolant Inhibitor Concentrate is a non glycol based coolant inhibitor concentrate that protects against corrosion, cavitation, scaling and oxidisation in vehicles that do not require an anti-freeze anti-boil coolant. It is an effective engine coolant that uses a hybrid organic acid technology (HOAT) inhibitor to provide maximum protection against corrosion whilst providing superior heat transfer to significantly reduce engine operating temperature. 

It's probably not available outside of Australia, but I'm sure you will be able to find something similar.

I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 7:27pm
There are some similar products here in the US. It's just a lot of grief for street car guys like me who don't race every weekend. If I was in a warm climate I wouldn't worry about running that kind of coolant but since I'm in the midwestern US (and it's been a brutal winter this year) I don't want a cracked block.

-Steve-

401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 7:42pm
The two hex plugs, one on each side of the block DO enter the core.  If you take them out and nothing drains, they are clogged with debris.  Just put a screw driver in the hole and break out the debris.....I see it all the time when draining engines.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 7:51pm
It's the same way at circle tracks.
Big fine if they see green fluid under the car after a overheat, or wreck.

Even with the core plugs removed it usually takes more that one round of flushing to get all the color out.

I've always used orange/amber colored antifreeze.   If I don't get all the antifreeze out, they can't seem to tell the difference between rust colored coolant , or coolant with a tiny bit of amber or orange antifreeze still in it.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 9:07pm
That rule only applies to race/modified cars. Cars registered with plates that only are run occasionally 
are usually exempt. Of course some tracks might put that rule in but it Isn't an NHRA rule.
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by gremlin1945 gremlin1945 wrote:

That rule only applies to race/modified cars. Cars registered with plates that only are run occasionally 
are usually exempt. Of course some tracks might put that rule in but it Isn't an NHRA rule.

Yes, some tracks like C.I.D. say so in their website "Track Rules" section. I've sent inquiries to other tracks asking them since it's not in their posted track rules. One track said if it's trailered in, no antifreeze. If it's driven to the track it's allowed but discouraged.

-Steve-

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 11:14pm
Good fun when your radiator hose blows off and all of that nice green coolant goes under the slicks at the back, change of underpants required thanks. 
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2019 at 5:29pm
Is it because it is slippery or for Environmental reasons?

There is pet safe Propylene Glycol, (which by coincidence is an ingredient I saw today in the ingredients of the Coca Cola Freestyle dispenser drinks that people consume).
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2019 at 5:49pm
It is slippery and hard to clean up, almost like putting oil down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic