TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

new Street Demon carb?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2014 at 1:47pm
We were running some small and big block modifieds at speedways around central jersey and pa in late 90s and some nights we would dump the big holley gasoline carb and run an older caddy/Olds type Quadrajet and did very very well with it to the point that some folks complained . It just pulled out of the corners really well and on restarts was very very snappy espescially with a heavy track . I know this post about StreetDemon Thermoquad type carbs on street but QJet kinda in same category. One guy Richie Cass ran one of those ToiletBowl carbs and he loved it.
rebuiling 73 amx need parts
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2014 at 6:22pm
A demon is no better than a Holley. You are limited on the adjustability without drilling and so forth that carries an extensive knowledge. Why not just buy a carb that has all the adjustability with a turn of a screwdriver instead of a drill for the same price.

Quick Fuel and Proform....
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2014 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by jeremy0711 jeremy0711 wrote:

A demon is no better than a Holley. You are limited on the adjustability without drilling and so forth that carries an extensive knowledge. Why not just buy a carb that has all the adjustability with a turn of a screwdriver instead of a drill for the same price.

This thread is about the new Street Demon. It is not another Holley remake. It is similar to a Carter AVS.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2014 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

This thread is about the new Street Demon. It is not another Holley remake. It is similar to a Carter AVS.

Exactly the first two words do say...A demon.... My description of the carbs might not have said that the new demon is a bowl type as we already know anyways...which is not an ideal carb for fine tuning but more for the less inclined to tune a carb. It most likely will be classified as a daily driver carb as the Edel carbs are. If the new Demons are as hard to tune as the old ones then most will be putting them on the shelves too and buying something else. I bet the sales are slow as BG had a BAD reputation with the old style. I had a few unpleasant conversations with the well known tech from BG. I had a few of the older carbs and they ran well but I have found a lot of aluminum shavings in them and buried in the gaskets that the infamous tech denied.    
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2014 at 9:32pm

Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

Exactly the first two words do say...A demon.... My description of the carbs might not have said that the new demon is a bowl type as we already know anyways...which is not an ideal carb for fine tuning but more for the less inclined to tune a carb. It most likely will be classified as a daily driver carb as the Edel carbs are. If the new Demons are as hard to tune as the old ones then most will be putting them on the shelves too and buying something else. I bet the sales are slow as BG had a BAD reputation with the old style. I had a few unpleasant conversations with the well known tech from BG. I had a few of the older carbs and they ran well but I have found a lot of aluminum shavings in them and buried in the gaskets that the infamous tech denied.    
This Street Demon is made by a different company, and has nothing in common with the old Demons, which were all Holleys. The new one is basically a Carter. Apples and oranges.

All the other new Demons( EXCEPT the Street Demon ), are Holley based like the old Demons.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2014 at 10:15pm
Here is a write up from CarCraft on them, it reads well.  An yes it does seem to represent a Carter or Edelbrock AVS bu then again what is wrong with that.  I've spent time tuning AFB's and they tune well, this should be not a whole bunch different.  But  I build and drive them on the street and this looks like a good option.
I've never liked the street manners of a Holley anyways.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2014 at 10:47pm
I have thought about two 390 CFM Holleys. I love the looks of the big Fords with two Holleys and I have always had good luck tuning them, but even if they do fit on the Offy 2x4 manifold, you'd have to pull at least the rear one to change jets, etc. They're a pain with only one of them. I doubt the Quick Fuel or Proform would fit at all with the larger float bowls and I think both are Chinese. I'll park it before I'll run a Chinese carb. Quick Fuel says "assembled" in the USA. That's not a good sign...

The Speed Demon has a lot off advantages in this application because it looks like two will fit, it's easy to tune on the car, I like the small primaries and the throttle linkage is already set up for my 200R4 TV cable. I'm just hesitant because it's new and the past bad rep. But I'm still leaning that way. 

My other idea is to adapt a tri-power Holley set-up like somebody else on the form has done to a 401 Rambler wagon. Has anybody heard any more about that? If I did it, I would use an edelbrock performer instead of the Offy 2x4 manifold. 

Thanks for the thoughts, guys
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2014 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Rogue401 Rogue401 wrote:

I have thought about two 390 CFM Holleys. I love the looks of the big Fords with two Holleys and I have always had good luck tuning them, but even if they do fit on the Offy 2x4 manifold, you'd have to pull at least the rear one to change jets, etc. They're a pain with only one of them. I doubt the Quick Fuel or Proform would fit at all with the larger float bowls and I think both are Chinese. I'll park it before I'll run a Chinese carb. Quick Fuel says "assembled" in the USA. That's not a good sign...

The Speed Demon has a lot off advantages in this application because it looks like two will fit, it's easy to tune on the car, I like the small primaries and the throttle linkage is already set up for my 200R4 TV cable. I'm just hesitant because it's new and the past bad rep. But I'm still leaning that way. 

My other idea is to adapt a tri-power Holley set-up like somebody else on the form has done to a 401 Rambler wagon. Has anybody heard any more about that? If I did it, I would use an edelbrock performer instead of the Offy 2x4 manifold. 

Thanks for the thoughts, guys

Quick Fuel is made in Bowling Green, KY if that helps your decision any. All processes are done in house. They will even custom tune a new or used Holley or Quick Fuel for you. Their tech service is great and very polite and with a short wait time.

The bowl type carbs are nice as you can work on them on your car and not have to worry about spilling gas everywhere. My last Quick Fuel even had the quick change bowls and that doesn't help with the gas mess either. FYI...Edel carbs don't have as much power as the Holleys, old BGs, quick Fuels, and Proforms. You will notice a big difference going from and Edel to another brand of the same size. I don't know if the newer Demons will operate the same as an Edel since it is close in resemblance.       
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2014 at 6:30pm
I am glad that you have noticed the big power increases in Holleys. I have had Carter AFB, AVS, and Thermoquad, various Holleys, Rochester Quadrajets, Edelbrock, Autolite 4100 and 4300, Summit, etc. I have failed to notice the big increase that you have. If the carb is set up for the combination, I am not so sure that brand makes that much difference on the street.
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2014 at 7:13pm
I went from a Eddy 600 (AFB) to a Holley 600 DP and went 3/10s faster.

72 307, SP2P, exhaust manifolds, 2" pipe, auto, stock stall, 2.56 gears. 15.9 to 15.6. Bracket car. No DA fluke.

A buddy bought a 750 Carter off of me, went 11.3. Put a 850 DP on and went 10.7. At that power level that says a lot.

Edited by nda racer - Feb/12/2014 at 7:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic