TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New starter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69gladiator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2017 at 5:02pm
An update: Pacerman sent me a 232 starter that he had and I installed it with two shoulder bolts.  Still wasn't spinning the engine right. I then loosened up the bottom bolt and SLIGHTLY moved the starter out, tightened it and it fired right up. Em confused  as to why this is happening but at this point, I'm not looking gift horse in the mouth.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2017 at 6:42pm
The Motorcraft style starter indexes perfectly into the plate between engine and bell housing - this means it cannot shift at all. The most that can happen is a slight rotation if the bolts are a tad undersized but that doesn't change the distance from the center of the starter armature to the flywheel, it only rotates it a bit. 
So if the plate is right and not bent and the starter is correct, it's a snug fit and cannot be shifted TOWARD or AWAY FROM the flywheel, period. Only turned, and if it turns, it turns on the center of the starter, or armature - meaning the distance does not and can not be changed. 

The distance of the starter in relationship to the flywheel is fixed - unless:
The wrong plate was installed
The plate hole was modified or the plate is BENT
the starter is incorrect
The WRONG NOSE HOUSING was put on the starter in a past life.

Granted, this is a 258 setup shown below - but the motorcraft type starter should index into the bell housing plate regardless. The bolt only secure it, they don't locate it - this plate does. Again, at least with the 258............

69gladiator View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69gladiator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2017 at 8:01pm
The starter I installed is the Delco Type.The plate does not appear to be bent. Its seems to be in the right place now. I wiggled it out towards the left front wheel very very little but it made the difference.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2017 at 9:16am
I was so frustrated with mine that I ended up using an IH Delco style starter off the early 232 with a slightly longer mode gear. It had shims added. My Comanche’s recent problem seems to be the gear engaged and the armature has melted loose from the shaft or the rollers in the drive are shot. It makes noise like it’s spinning but the gear engages the flexplate with just a light whining noise and no rotation.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2017 at 9:23am
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Delco-Remy-Starter-Drive-1957-1977-Corvette-/202004604156

I don't know if this is the correct drive but besides the solenoid it is a common failure item.

I should say I've changed a lot of drives on the Ford starters but never one on a Delco. Same idea though, they both use a sprag clutch.

Edited by vinny - Oct/23/2017 at 9:32am
Nodak68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nodak68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2017 at 9:35am

Try the eBay item number above. Got one for my 232 68 Rogue, works perfectly, no external solenoid needed. Al little spendy but was worth it
That which does not kill us makes us stronger...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic