TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New Sanden compressor noise?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Sanden compressor noise?
    Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 8:11pm
For those of you who have converted over to Sanden compressors, are you hearing any kind of noise that they make? I can here the clutch click on and it will make a noise that sounds like a hydraulic motor or pump. It's seems pretty loud and I can sort of feel it. It gets really loud over 3000 rpm. 

It seems to cool well with average temp out the duct of 45 degrees or so. 
64 Cross Country Wagon 770, 79 VW Scirocco, 70 Porsche 914-6, 82 Subaru Brat, 1991 Autozam
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2017 at 4:30am
Not sure, are you using an adapter plate to mount your Sanden? If so it could be slightly off on alignment. If so the noise could be belt related.

You can check by giving the pulley and belt underside a shot of WD40 and seeing if the noise fades or goes away. It will come back after a few minutes, if the noise changes with the WD40 test.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2017 at 2:05pm
I'm curious,

Won't WD-40 (penetrating lubricant) cause the belt to slip and contaminate the belt permanently?

Maybe try a belt dressing compound commonly found at the auto parts places. This product will clean the belt and make it grab the pulleys better.

The White70 has a Sanden "style" compressor, (chinese knockoff). So far it's been pretty quiet. I can feel it kick in as well. I always start the AC when the engine is idling. It does make a sound when the clutch engages, but then gets quiet.

I think somethings amiss inside your compressor.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2017 at 6:39pm
I can feel the "sound" in the low pressure hose even at idle, it just get loud enough to hear as it speeds up. I'm going to add a little oil and see if that makes a difference.
64 Cross Country Wagon 770, 79 VW Scirocco, 70 Porsche 914-6, 82 Subaru Brat, 1991 Autozam
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2017 at 5:39pm
added about 3 oz of oil, figuring an ounce each for the clean evaporator, and new condenser and one for the dryer. 

I'm getting great temps, down to 39 degrees sometimes, usually mid 40s. When I rev to 3000 rpm the compressor really squalls. Doesn't seem to be from the clutch, but rather the body of the compressor. The pulley is a little smaller than the engine pulley so I guess it's being over driven some, but still it's supposed to be rated for 6000 rpm. 

It sounds awful, kinda like the sound a dry bearing makes. Didn't really seem to make any difference before or after the shot of oil. I'm kinda stumped.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic