TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

NEW! Rambler/AMX steering gears... Borgeson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEW! Rambler/AMX steering gears... Borgeson
    Posted: Aug/21/2019 at 9:23pm
Borgeson is manufacturing NEW Saginaw steering gears.

the 1968 Rambler American appears to have a Saginaw 525 (manual gear), in both stock 24:1 and faster 16:1 ratios.
prices are not unreasonable; a Lares rebuilt from Rockauto is around $250.

Edited by tomj - Aug/22/2019 at 12:05am
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2019 at 10:31pm
That drawing shows 3 bolt ears, like a lot of Jeep boxes. AMC has 4 bolt ears of which 3 were used (the one missing on the drawing was one of that 3). If you put that box on an American, it would only attach with 2 bolts. Jeeps stand off-road punishment with 3 bolts, so maybe 2 is enough for a Rambler.
I put a Jeep 3 bolt box on my 66 American but I made a bracket allowing me to mount it with all 3 bolt holes on the box.
I bought a whole Jeep 4.0 donor vehicle for $600; I used the engine, computer, wiring harness, steering box, and sold some other parts.

Edited by 6768rogues - Aug/21/2019 at 10:37pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2019 at 12:04am
my 68 american has three mounting ears. you talking about manual boxes? i am...

Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2019 at 9:16am
The late 60s-70s AMC MS boxes I've seen look like the drawing and don't have a rear upper mounting ear. The PS boxes have four ears.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2019 at 10:40am
I was thinking about power steering.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2019 at 10:28pm
ahh... yeah, it's really hard to even good manual steering info, there's so much power steering cars. it's like "steering" equals power steering. i really hate American style power steering [and power brakes], can't feel a thing!

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2019 at 10:34pm
I am north of 65 years old. If it doesn’t have power steering, power brakes and air conditioning I consider driving something else.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2019 at 10:58pm
oh! from your writing and ideas you seem younger (sorry to insult you :-)

i'm 64 and happy wrestling mine! to each their own -- as long as you agree with me! lol

kidding of course.

manual-everything works when the steering wheel is hyuuuge, and tire scrub is stock-ish and tires not-wide. my roadster ('61 american with 17" steering wheel and carefully chosen wheels and tires) is eeeeasy to turn but slalom and miles of mountain road twisties is WORK. so far anyway, the '68 American with stock 4" rims, 17" wheel, and decidedly non-sporting driving is easy enough.

YMMV!

Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2019 at 7:47am
I prefer manual steering, it keeps me out of the gym.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2019 at 9:12pm
Borgeson also makes power steering boxes. NEW MANUFACTURE! about $100 more than a rebuilt from RockAuto. NEW INTERNALS. and pick your ratio...

i have a Lares rebuild coming. i'm really cost-sensitive right now, the $100 matters. if it's not a drop-in or has troubles i'll probably return it and spring for the Borgeson and go 16:1. unless something else costs me in the mean time!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic