TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New Project, 71 401 4sp AMX Black!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CloudyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 4:54am
Rick, What a great find. Learning alot about the humpsters just reading this post. Keep it coming. Love to see a pic of the engine.
70 BB Green Donohue
JavelinManJohn View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavelinManJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 5:35am

Rick, what a super cool find!  I have been a big 71 AMX fan since 1987 when I bought my Green 401 automatic.  Never seen a black car with red interior and I love it!   And it's a 4 speed!  At first I was thinking it was really over 100,000 but the more I look it does appear to be low mileage.  And you mentioned how the rubber was still soft, etc.  Very jealous of new AMX.  We want more photos please. 

Thanks,
John Schifko- Gateway AMC

Too many projects!
badx View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 6:46am
  Well yesterday was a fun day as while hurricane sandy was blowing through I played in the garage. I really have no plans of a total resto at this time as it really is a time capsule. The engine was the bad part. Still the orig 401 but for some reason this is why it was parked. The guy took the intake and pass side head off and they have been in the trunk for 30 years. It was in a heated garage so the motor will be rebuilt and the car just cleaned up and a few little things like the headliner fixed as it is hanging.  John I kept thinking the same thing, its got to be 100K on it but everything indicates its true mileage right down to the last known registration. My buddy Shane helped me pick it up and he would have got it if I didn't. I have allready had multiple guys tell me just put a number on it and I will buy it but I realllly don't want to sell this. Shane has no complaints he got the bargain of the year with his 72 Butterscotch gold AMX. One thing I will say is if this car did not get parked because of the issues it would not be around anymore as this guy did not take care of it, but he bought it as a kid and thats why the changes were made. He was like every 18 year old get the headers and het a Holley and lets go fast. Here are a few more pics from yesterday. I also have to say I have never seen one that the orig vinyl top still looked this nice.
badx
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 11:33am
Looks like it Still has the original radiator; it's pretty obvious that car wasnt driven much in its lifetime, its a real good bet that those are the original miles. Probably a weekend cruiser/racer. I like the hooker header stickers on the rear bumper   When you guys tear down the engine and get a look at the bearings that should also give some more info on the miles.   
The guy probably started to remove the top end of the engine to do more mods or maybe thought something was wrong with it like the head/cracked at front corner, or blown head gasket, or cylinder ring land on that side went, and then simply stopped working on it.   Either way that car is going to clean up really nice! A collectors item for sure!

Edited by 348AMX - Oct/30/2012 at 4:54pm
AmeriMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmeriMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 11:47am
What is the casting number on the block?  It should be easy to see with the intake off.

larue390@comcast.net
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 12:24pm
How about some good photos of the firewall and inner fenders etc. Would be nice to see how things were placed location of clips etc. On a unmolested car.
bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 1:09pm
There would be a significant ring ridge if there were 130,000 miles.soft weatherstipping and all, id say 30,000.great Rick, now ya made me like humpsters!!
mudslinger View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2012 at 6:24pm
Man you guys up north have got it made. You never see a rare AMX like this become available here in Texas.

Congrats on the find badx!
badx View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 4:31pm
  Well guys the story just keeps getting better. Today I decided to take the backseat out and see if I could find the build sheet. I reached under to locate the bracket so I could take the seat out and felt a piece of paper. I grabbed iit with 2 fingers and slid it out. Yes I found the build sheet. Any help in deciphering it will be greatly appreciated but the vin is there and its a real Z code 4sp P1 Black Red Leather car!     Rick
badx
AmeriMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmeriMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2012 at 5:24pm
Excellent.  That build sheet is in great condition.  I could compare the info with the info on the build sheet from my '71 AMX if that would be helpful.  PM me.
larue390@comcast.net
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic