TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New Project '70 Javelin SST 390

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossramrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2008 at 8:28pm
 Steeters,What a great find.How is the other project coming? Will we see you at the ramber show in Lodi this summer? See ya Jim.
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2008 at 9:42pm
Jim, Lodi is real close and I would love it if my car was ready to go by then and realistically it should be ready (this actually is my only AMC/project).  And, by ready I mean running and driving, not paint, body and interior.  Heck, I'd be pretty proud of myself just to get this car back on the road so even if it looked like heck I'd be pretty happy to show it off.  I'm guessing this must be an event put on by Galvin (I hadn't heard of it until now, but I'm officially starting the count down to project completion).
Steve
chaez2 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2008 at 8:26pm
Hammer%20HeadMan you have got you a awsome ride glad to see another 70 being restored it takes time but the end result is well worth it!! file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/Shortcut%20to%20DSCF0529.lnk
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2008 at 9:56am
Thanks for the compliments.  This will ultimately be a "restomod" so I imagine that makes the process a little easier.  But I was just thinking the other day, the only "new" part that I recall buying has been a carburetor (I've purchased a few nuts, bolts, paint, filters, etc new).  Everything else has been from #1 craigslist, #2 forum members, #3 EBay.  I've probably saved a bunch of money but it takes more time to do it this way.

I'm at the point now that I want to install the engine but I'm taking some time to mock up the pulleys, alternator and a few other items that will easier to install while the engine is out.  It's taking more time to get the engein installed, but in the end it will probably save me more time and effort.
Steve
440H View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 440H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2008 at 10:19pm

Hey Steve, that motor is looking good,nice work...

Brandon
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2008 at 12:57am

thats an awsome car, i wish when I got my javelin that the original paint/sheet metal was there. Didn't  they only make about 60 javelin's with rear window defrosters? Anyway another AMC saved and being brought back it's former Camaro eater

1972 Javelin
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2009 at 9:47pm
Thanks for the compliments.

I had a boat load of trouble installing the transmission, but as of today both the engine and transmission are in the car.  I just lack a lot of the tools to do a major mechanical job like this so I do my best to get by with what I've got.   This is a freshly rebuilt engine (by me), so even after I get all the plumbing, hoses, vacuum lines, etc it will still be a project.
and then there is the fact that i got my car as a non-runner.  i don't know if the brakes, lights, heat, radio, etc. work.  one thing at a time :) 

I can't put into words how much i've learned over the last year.  In fact, it's been a curse in one aspect...i've loved reading car magazines for 20 years.  Now, those magazines are just fluff b/c I feel like I'm actually doing a project for the first time in my life and I need more than just glossy photos.  Dang car took away one of my life's little pleasures Smile

Edited by steeters - Jan/04/2009 at 9:48pm
chaez2 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2009 at 5:10am
Hey that motor looks great look like you have done a great job and by doing it yourself you have saved a great deal of cash and its the best way to learn of what you really have.Did you have the crank turned or anything?Did you make sure the bearing clearence was good?Im so glad to see another 70 javelin getting on the road my favorite year ive got three of them.Hey make sure you prime the motor before you fire it up with someone watching the guage while you prime it it should go atleast to 60 psi and stay steady also i would recomend putting a bottle of comp cams break in oil you can get this in almost any speed shop.Best of luck keep us updated any questions you know where to goCheers!Thumbs%20Up
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2009 at 1:27pm
Engine looks good.  Engine compartment paint, even better Cool
Working with what one has to get a job done is rewarding.
Used to have after hours access to a couple fully equipt garages.
Man, does that spoil a person, big time.
70MarkDonohue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70MarkDonohue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2009 at 10:13pm
If your going to hook up the ram air your air cleaner wont line up with that intake.
I got the same set up on my Donohue and it doesn't line up. I'm thinking of trying a R4B or going back to stock intake.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic