TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New Project '70 Javelin SST 390

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2008 at 11:46pm
looks like the condition  of my car when i got, that's so cool that you have the original doortag, the car that i picked up the 390 was long gone, but it has some nice options like yours tilt wheel, ac, ect, I believe the car was in an accident because the door tag did not match any of the specs on the car, plus the color on the door tag was turquise blue a 68 color my car is a 1969, the firewall shows hunters green along with thr trunk and floor pans, i have some pics below. http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/geano/AMC/

Edited by phast1 - Aug/25/2008 at 11:46pm
1972 Javelin
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2008 at 11:55pm
it's an sst but the fenders don't have the emblems because of the accident, and the car it was taken from was a base javelin,  im gonna get some measurements to drill holes for sst emblems, and replace the faded 390 badges!
1972 Javelin
70MarkDonohue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70MarkDonohue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2008 at 8:43am

http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/geano/AMC/

Edited by 70MarkDonohue - Aug/26/2008 at 8:44am
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2008 at 6:28pm
thanks for making it an active link!
1972 Javelin
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2008 at 11:09pm
I wish I had more to report as far as progress goes, but I've been sidetracked collecting parts and getting prepared for my first engine build.  The machine work has been done on  a .40 over 401 and a 401 crank.  SpeedPro pistons and other upgraded but rather basic rebuild parts.  i've been taking some pictures along the way so I'll post them when I've made a little more progress.

As far as getting sidetracked with parts collecting, I've discovered that folks are unloading their projects and toys.  THe jeep guys are practically giving away good AMC stuff on craigslist.  I really like the way this project is progressing b/c after the initial expense of the car and the machine work, just about everything else I've gotten either new in a box or hardly used...usually for something like 1/2 price.

I don't really have a set timeline on getting this completed.  I'm not sure if a timeline is a good idea or if I should just make steady progress...my inclination is steady progress...but if it still isn't on the road in a year I'll be a little disappointed.

I'm trying to stick with my original plan...so that means replacing the BW trans and installing a TC/TQ 998 or 727 style...including rebuilding it myself which isn't something I've done before either.

Stay tuned.
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2008 at 11:13pm
I spent an afternoon checking ring gaps and installing the rings.  I also got to installing the main bearings until I realized the bolts required 100ft/lbs and my torque wrench only goes to 75lbs.  I'm off to find a good used one for pennies on the dollar...and that's why I"m not making quick progress...

-Steve
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2008 at 8:05pm
I haven't stopped working on the car, I've just been posting a lot of questions to try and wrap up a few major components of the car.
I've almost got the 401 together, I'm only dealing with a guideplate issue b/c the Isky guideplates I have are not a perfect fit.  I borrowed a MIG welder and I'm going to do my first welding.  I need to put a couple of tack welds into the guideplates to add some stability...otherwise they have a tendancy to get out of place.

I also purchased a rebuilt 727 and converter that are awaiting installation (to replace the M12).  I think i'm going to try to put the transmission in first and then drop the engine later.  Most of this I end up doing on my own (by choice most often) and I figure that will simplify things.  I recently ordered numerous parts like trans mount, nuts and bolts to install from Gavin's.  I can already invision a bunch of questions about the linkage.

Finally, I took the opportunity while the engine was out to really clean up the engine compartment, remove the surface rust, prime and paint in Hialeah Yellow out of a rattle can (Seymour from PPG distributor). 

As a habit, when I've got just an hour or two and can't get too involved in the engine or paint, I've cleaned up a pulley, spray painted a bracket or do some other little stuff.  I'm really glad I've been pecking away at this stuff b/c I've probably put 20 hours into the little details and it will sure make assembly faster and better looking. 

One of those few hours I spent cleaning out the trunk and I was surprised to see that it was in pretty good shape.  A little surface rust but probably 75% original finish.  I also found the jack, but no spare tire accessories.  I just recently got to the trunk b/c I had trouble getting it open (I have to push down while jiggling the key).  I was hoping to find something really cool (gold bars, rare parts, cash, etc), but it just had an assortment of junk.

I feel like I'm real close to getting this car running for the first time in many years, but I'm sure there are a few more challenges before I get to that point.  Here are some pics.

Edited by steeters - Dec/13/2008 at 8:20pm
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2008 at 8:11pm

I've also enrolled in the local junior college...autobody repair class and lab here I come!

Edited by steeters - Dec/14/2008 at 6:45pm
440H View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 440H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2008 at 10:33am
Looks good ,nice job on that engine bay.. got to love craigslist...
Brandon
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2008 at 6:21pm
I thought about it for a while, and went for it...I painted my edelbrock performer intake AMC blue.  I think the contrast between cast aluminum and painted areas looks good but I'm starting waiver toward keeping the aftermarket stuff low key.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic