TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New Project '70 Javelin SST 390

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Project '70 Javelin SST 390
    Posted: Jun/26/2008 at 4:33pm
I've posted some information about my new car on the other forum, but I thought I'd put a few photos here as well.
It appears to be a Go Pack car based on the options, but I havne't found a build sheet.  It is also nicely optioned with leather, automatic, A/C, tilt wheel, rear window defrost, chrome window trim, machine wheels, luggage rack, and more that I'm sure to discover.

A tree fell on the hood at one point and did some damage to the hood, radiator support, radiator and the grill, but nothing that can't be fixed.  Also, it's got 35 years of dents and dings but appears to be solid, rust free, and never "restored."

Under the hood it has lost its 390, but now sports a 304 with 291c heads (?).  The plan is to get it running and turn it into a nice driver.  Maybe a restoration at some point down the road, but definitely a resto-mod for now.

This car was only 13 miles from my house when I discovered it.  So, great cars are still out there!

My goal is to use as many swap meet, craigslist, used, rebuilt and recycled parts as possible and be proud of a finished product that didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

-Steve

Menace SS/AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Menace SS/AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2008 at 6:10pm

Sounds like a good plan, and the car looks like it has great potential to be a really nice car when you are done. The 70 Javelins are a little harder to find parts for but they are out there. Start collecting your parts now so that you have them when you need them down the road.
Keep us posted on your progress!
Cool
Dennis  

My AMC Stable
1968 AMX (Craig Breedlove AMX600)
1969 SS/AMX Replica of(THE Big Menace)
1969 AMX 390,auto,Go Package    
1970 AMX 390, 4 speed
1970 Javelin 401(Big Bad Red)
1968 AMX (FOR SALE)
70MarkDonohue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70MarkDonohue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2008 at 9:20am
Wow, how do you crack the steering wheel center, is the wheel bent.
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2008 at 11:15am
it doesn't appear to be bent...maybe a previous owner was horn happy or impatient? :)
Menace SS/AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Menace SS/AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2008 at 11:56am
Originally posted by steeters steeters wrote:

it doesn't appear to be bent...maybe a previous owner was horn happy or impatient? :)

With that large of a crack on the steering wheel (not the trim piece) it must be a little bent.
Probably not from hitting the horn button hard since it's a rim blow wheel.

Does the car look like it has been in a front end collision? I ask because that steering wheel looks just like one that I broke when I hit the back of a car hard with a 70 AMX back in 1969. The worst thing about the accident was, the car was a brand new red AMX "demo" (with less than 600 miles on it) from my dads dealership. I was 16 years old at the time. Needless to say I was not a real popular son for awhile.  Ouch 
Dennis 
My AMC Stable
1968 AMX (Craig Breedlove AMX600)
1969 SS/AMX Replica of(THE Big Menace)
1969 AMX 390,auto,Go Package    
1970 AMX 390, 4 speed
1970 Javelin 401(Big Bad Red)
1968 AMX (FOR SALE)
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2008 at 12:24pm

I have bought and sold two 70s like that in the last three years or so.  Both found in the central valley or the CA desert with good, but weathered bodies and no rust.  But they were both originally 304, not 390 cars.  You're right.   They are still out there but getting more scarce.  Good luck with it.   Joe 

Happiness is making something out of nothing.
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2008 at 12:50pm
I'm no collision expert, but it doesn't appear to have had front end damage to my eye.  certainly no obvious repairs.  that's not to say that it i won't find someone's front teeth behind the dashboard some day :)  I just figured that the CA sun did a number on the plastic...but then again, the dash pad is in perfect condition?
AmcKidd View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmcKidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2008 at 1:09pm
steering wheels being cracked like that ARE common out here- Extremly low humidity
Oroville, Ca
70MarkDonohue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70MarkDonohue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2008 at 9:23pm
Mine is cracked to but we have high humidity in St. Louis.

We were talking about the crack in the metal pic of the steering wheel.

here's one on E-bay

Edited by 70MarkDonohue - Jun/29/2008 at 10:08pm
AmcKidd View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmcKidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2008 at 10:07pm

ahhh.. my mistake- looks like someone tried to pry it off to me..............

Oroville, Ca
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic