TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New PDB booster?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New PDB booster?
    Posted: Dec/04/2017 at 9:00pm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/A1-Cardone-54-73105-Power-Brake-Booster-for-AMC-Ambassador-American-AMX/292357884107?hash=item4411e348cb:g:u5YAAOSwEEBaJe9F&vxp=mtr
Looks like we may have access to reasonably priced newly made or remanufactured PDB booster for Javelins and AMXs!

And actually, if you Google this part #, they're even cheaper at other places! Never thought I would find one of these at Walmart! $72.97

Edited by ramblinrev - Dec/04/2017 at 9:46pm
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 11:37am
A1-Cardone has been rebuilding parts for decades.

They are noted for acquiring rebuildable parts from various sources. Accumulating enough of them to do a rebuild run, flooding the market with the part and then the part becomes unobtainable again.

This isn't the first time A1-Cardone has done that.

I bought two of these about a year ago. One to replace the failed 10 year old rebuilt and one for a spare when the 2nd rebuilt fails. I removed the spare from the box and put it inside a plastic bag, then reboxed it for long term storage. It's in a dark cool kept dry basement. Hopefully it will survive until needed.
I have little confidence in A1 Cardone's rebuilt boosters. My experience is they last ten years or so. The factory drum brake booster lasted until I installed disc brakes and replaced the booster with one purchased from American Parts Depot. That was 35 years and it worked fine when I removed it. The rebuilts don't come with anywhere near the same quality diaphragms or something. That's  just my take on the situation.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 11:42am
CarID has them for sale for $51.82  with $20 core deposit.

Even Cheaper than WalMart.

https://www.carid.com/cardone/remanufactured-power-brake-booster-mpn-54-73105.html?filter=1&view=861730&year_id=121360

I wanna say I got my 2nd and spare boosters from these guys.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 8:17pm
CARiD has a $7.95 shipping price, so that makes it about $80 vs. Walmart's $73. But Walmart will charge tax, so it's just a bit cheaper.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 10:21pm
I am a bit concerned about the boosters on both of my Javelins - they are original - since the only outfit in our area that did them is defunked - gone, outta business, exists no more. We had an outfit that did boosters, clutches, you name it. They are gone now. 
It used to be they'd rebuild any car booster for 100 bucks........... so anything around 100 is a bargain, IMO,, but I don't have a lot of faith in bulk remanufactured anything. I prefer "here's mine,, fix it and get it back to me" fixes. 

I have a NOS spare in the original box for my 82 SX4 but do wonder about the Javelins if one of those would go bad. 
Dirtydog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2017 at 7:01am
Then and now Auto said they would rebuild mine for a hundred bucks. They did a good job on my fuel pump which is fuel pump combo vacuum pump. I just ended up buying one at AutoZone that was $90. I was a little late reading these posts. Good luck
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2017 at 8:13pm
What wrong with Booster Dewey ? He's supposed to do a quality rebuild.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2017 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

What wrong with Booster Dewey ? He's supposed to do a quality rebuild.

Dunno as I've never heard of 'em....... so can't comment as to quality, or "what's wrong".
Part of the issue with such rebuilds is the parts - unless you do a ton of 'em, or have sources for the various diaphragms, springs, seals etc. - even a great tech can't do them. 
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 5:13am
Nothing wrong with Booster Dewey, George he did the proper PDB booster in your Ambassador and has done countless number of them for me over the last 20 years.  I have 100% confidence in the his work and his parts.....I have got some not so great stuff for various cars over the years from Cardone....never bought a Booster from them.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 5:19am
That's what I meant. I know that he did both the Ambassador and my AMX. I figure if he get's your recommendation then that's all I need to know.
I was just surprised that billd did not know of him.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic