TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New leaf springs problem.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2020 at 10:13pm
Can you get a tape measure and measure them? Is there something else missing here? An eye-to-eye measurement over the long arch would pretty much answer the question.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2020 at 10:47pm
Hi guys... we still haven't been able to look at it again and won't be able to for another 2-3 weekends. We also suspect that they were created too short. Anyway... these springs are 110% guaranteed and I have my receipt still. They also said they would take it in, look it over and correct it free of charge if I drive it to them... which is about 45 min. away. So if I have to do that.. I could.

Plus I still have my old set of springs which technically weren't bad... they just weren't as tall they were 20 years ago and I wanted them back to the height I liked them at when I first got them. This is the better side. Notice the rake is just slightly above level. 

Last but not least... we also realized that the new KYB  GR-2 / Excel-G shocks were no where near reaching either. I checked Rock Auto and the stock Daily Driver shock is 1.25 inches longer but we don't think that will cut it either. I just hope once we get the tank full of gas we can get those shackles pulled out like the shops claims is possible... even if a few friends to sit in the back of the car while we tighten everything down and pull the shocks into place.

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Jun/21/2020 at 10:49pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2020 at 6:43am
That's sitting about right with new springs, as they will settle over the next 2-4 weeks. 
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2020 at 7:41am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

That's sitting about right with new springs, as they will settle over the next 2-4 weeks. 

Right now it's up on stands and the axle is hanging. We need a 3rd person to work a jack while we can try to pry shackles backwards. 

I'm trying to remain positive but I am in agreeence with everyone else... They seem to be made too short. I'm going to fill the tank with gas and give it a good shot before I give up and take it in to them.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2020 at 4:47pm
Hello all... I forgot to update this thread... I took the new springs out and reinstalled the old ones. When compared to the old ones they are physically the same. We just could not pry the new ones into position. They just would not move far enough. When we out the old ones back in... They were able to be pried into place properly right away.

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2020 at 10:54am
The orientation of that first, short leaf is the reverse of the original spring arrangement. Could that and the position of the locating center bolt make a difference ?
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2020 at 11:24am
From the side view, I think the top, helper spring is mounted 180° out of its proper orientation.

Having the longer end at the long end of the stack will lift the rear. The way it looks the helper spring is keeping the longoing end from compressing and kicking out to lower the resting position.

You can undo the pressure of the stack by loosening the locating pin nut at the bottom, and rotate it in its proper position.

Edited by 304-dude - Sep/27/2020 at 11:28am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2020 at 4:11pm
send them back
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2020 at 5:42pm
Interesting... I didn't notice that the smallest spring is in the wrong direction. I'll mention it to them when I bring the car to the spring shop.

Originally posted by 1948kaiser 1948kaiser wrote:

send them back

Forgot to mention in last post... The springs are 110% guaranteed. As soon as the car is road worthy it will be driven to the spring manufacturer and they will put them in for free. If they don't fit I get a new set or my money back.

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Sep/27/2020 at 5:44pm
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2020 at 7:28pm
The short leaf has the long section to the front to help reduce acceleration spring wind up. Putting the longer section at the rear would not only raise the car slightly but also encourage the spring to wind up into an "S" shape.
This is exactly what CalTracs do in a different design. They put pressure on the top of the front leaves to flatten them to reduce the "S" on acceleration.
This was likely your problem all along.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic