TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

new GM steering box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XRX744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2018 at 10:59pm
Anybody every use, or know somebody who has, the Lares 974 Rockauto box? 
69 AMX, pro touring /track car, TEAM tribute, aka: "The Kenosha Corncob"
forzav12 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forzav12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2018 at 1:25am
Will one of those Lares boxes fit a 76 Hornet? Thanks.
XRX744 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote XRX744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2018 at 11:50am
The Rockauto 974 box is for a rebuild of your existing box. I ordered it will sending my marked box in to see if I get the same  one back with a quick ratio. I'll post my results.

69 AMX, pro touring /track car, TEAM tribute, aka: "The Kenosha Corncob"
Jeffs69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2018 at 2:35am
Have you sent your steering-box yet and ate you happy with the results?
Jeff's 69 AMX Restoration Project
Ralph G. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2018 at 8:44am
I have not. I installed a power steering pressure reducing valve but have only driven the car around my neighborhood to try it out. I think I'll keep it. I also will play around with adjusting the lash on the original steering box to try to take some of the play out of it. If I still am not satisfied with the way the car drives I'll probably have the box rebuilt to the newer specs sometime next year.
rell View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2018 at 8:56pm
Does the Rebel have the 87 degree sweep as well?
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2018 at 9:35pm
I'm a proponent of using the Saginaw box from mid-90s Jeep Cherokees. Two of the three bolts fit directly and it's no big deal to make an adapter for the third out of plate steel as the mounting hole is only an inch or two away from where it needs to be.  Rag joint and hose fittings went to metric after 1979 or so, but you can either buy adapters or have new ends put on your hoses, and it's not a bad idea to replace the rag joint anyway.  If I can do it, anyone can.  The steering ratio and effort are just about perfect for my '72 Javelin and the internal stops are just right.  I think I paid $60 for mine at the local Pick n' Pull and another $40 or so for the rag joint. The local Napa store put new fittings on my old hoses for me.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

JolleyGreenSST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2018 at 1:07am
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

I'm a proponent of using the Saginaw box from mid-90s Jeep Cherokees. Two of the three bolts fit directly and it's no big deal to make an adapter for the third out of plate steel as the mounting hole is only an inch or two away from where it needs to be.  Rag joint and hose fittings went to metric after 1979 or so, but you can either buy adapters or have new ends put on your hoses, and it's not a bad idea to replace the rag joint anyway.  If I can do it, anyone can.  The steering ratio and effort are just about perfect for my '72 Javelin and the internal stops are just right.  I think I paid $60 for mine at the local Pick n' Pull and another $40 or so for the rag joint. The local Napa store put new fittings on my old hoses for me.
Hey Cam, I found this article about the steering gear swap and it says to use the unit from a 96-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee, is that what you used?

Also what rag joint did you use and do you have any pics of the plate you made?
Thanks.
"God is good all the time and all the time God is good!"
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2018 at 6:26am

Mine was from a 94 Cherokee. 92-96 Cherokee is what I heard will work. Not sure about differences between Cherokee and Grand Cherokee boxes, but would be worth checking into to see if the 3rd bolt of GC box lines up better than the Cherokee box. I've bought the material but haven't actually finished the spacer plate yet (been driving it that way for a year & need to get back to it!) It really just needs to be a small steel spacer with two holes in it, one that bolts to steering box and the other that bolts to the original AMC mounting bracket. In the Cherokee the box bolts directly to the frame rail, but you'll need to use the Javelin's original mounting bracket.

Follow the link below to my project thread and you'll see what I did. Scroll down that page and you'll find part numbers there too.

Steering box swap

Edited by CamJam - Nov/08/2018 at 6:36am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2018 at 10:07am
If you already have one in good condition, your OEM power steering pump will work just fine.
As for the rag-joint, you can use one for a 1979 Chevy C20 to adapt the newer box to your existing column.

Beware that some of the aftermarket rag joints are known to have been assembled wrong. Thankfully it is easy to disassemble it and clock it correctly.

The Cherokee box is an easy and cheap swap. I just feel it is unsafe until the box is secured with at least three mounting bolts.
As mentioned before,  one can have a four ear case rebuilt with quick ratio instead.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic