TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New Fender troughs being installed....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5_AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2014 at 6:52am
Nice work to both of you. I will be doing the same to my 74 X. However, just curious why both of you cut the flange off at the downer troughs and welded it there?   Why not remove the complete trough and weld in the complete downer? 

Thanks.

Scott
5 AMX's
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2014 at 6:55am
Originally posted by 5_AMXS 5_AMXS wrote:

Nice work to both of you. I will be doing the same to my 74 X. However, just curious why both of you cut the flange off at the downer troughs and welded it there?   Why not remove the complete trough and weld in the complete downer? 

Thanks.

Scott

My thinking is that it makes the repair completely invisible, and eliminates any chance of relocating the fender mounting holes, even slightly.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
5_AMXS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5_AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2014 at 7:04am
Thanks. I have one good set that I will use - I may go the complete replacement. But I'm a few weeks away from that.

I have another "bone-yard"set that looked good until I had them bead blasted... a few holes to say the least...May keep them for patching...

Scott

5 AMX's
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2014 at 2:36am
Originally posted by 5_AMXS 5_AMXS wrote:

Thanks. I have one good set that I will use - I may go the complete replacement. But I'm a few weeks away from that.

I have another "bone-yard"set that looked good until I had them bead blasted... a few holes to say the least...May keep them for patching...

Scott

I simply wanted to keep the factory flange welds original, as the flanges themselves are in excellent rust free condition
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2014 at 10:17am
I did the same when I replaced my front inner fender.
Used a recip saw and cut down along the spring tower then butt welded in the new one.  Factory spot welds in place and you can't tell it was even done. Both sides look factory fresh.

Not wanting to steer this too far off course, but when considering the amount we spend on tools how come nobody uses the Clamp spot welders to do flanges etc? I would think they would make for a quicker replacement with no need to do the clean up work a plug weld usually requires.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2014 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Wrambler Wrambler wrote:

I did the same when I replaced my front inner fender.
Used a recip saw and cut down along the spring tower then butt welded in the new one.  Factory spot welds in place and you can't tell it was even done. Both sides look factory fresh.

Not wanting to steer this too far off course, but when considering the amount we spend on tools how come nobody uses the Clamp spot welders to do flanges etc? I would think they would make for a quicker replacement with no need to do the clean up work a plug weld usually requires.

That would be the hot ticket for installing a set of NOS troughs which haven't had any spot welds drilled out already. Or if someone finally tools up and makes some repro troughs!
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
Larry 70 AMX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry 70 AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2019 at 3:10pm
Hi, I'm new to the Forum, this is my first post. I'm restoring a 1970 AMC AMX and am looking for replacing troughs. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm in Central New York.
Thanks in advance.
Larry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic