TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New Epoxy - Q Bond

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Epoxy - Q Bond
    Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 11:03am
I've tried several epoxys including JB Weld when repairing broken pins on the 70 AMX & Javelin Ram Air Hood Trim Rings and nothing has held. This Q Bond stuff WORKS. A drop on the ring, a drop on the broken pin and a little of the silver powder and it sets up quick. It is also great for broken plastic grille tabs. We got it through our paint supplier.

67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 11:44am
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
T/AJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T/AJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 12:57pm
   Thanks Ron for posting this, I know I can sure use some for a few emblems & other stuff, & it'll probably help out many other guys that are stuck with broken pins, etc.Smile
T/AJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T/AJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 1:05pm
[QUOTE=whizkidder]Only $12.

And thank you Ron F.  For the link, Thumbs Up    I was going to head over to a local paint supplier & I'm sure I would have had to pay a lot more for it, sure is nice to have so many people willing to help other enthusiasts !
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 2:52pm
ive heard this stuff works reallyl well also.. i havent tried it yet.  has anyone else?

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 3:44pm
hmmm, might need to give this a try. I think JB sucks and I've tried it many times over decades and haven't had great luck.
i've used specific "plastic epoxies" made for various plastics with good luck, but nothing for pot metal, etc.
Interesting.
Would be good to get some real factual valid reviews from others. That's the point of the "tool" area - reviews on tools, and if this isn't a tool, don't know what is.......
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 3:48pm
One word of caution when using Q Bond! DO NOT get it on your finger & thumb and rub them together. Instant Skin Bond-Ouch-I know from personal experience.
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by mstrcrftr mstrcrftr wrote:

ive heard this stuff works reallyl well also.. i havent tried it yet.  has anyone else?

I have on the job.
Plactic isn't plastic so you have to check compatibility with what you're trying to repair.
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2011 at 7:30pm
This looks like a super glue type derivitive.  If I find some I will give it a try.  Has anyone tried LAB METAL on pot metal.  it is used for repair of large stamping dies and castings.  It can be found at industrial supplies and machinist supplies.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2011 at 9:58am
Originally posted by mstrcrftr mstrcrftr wrote:

I have on the dash of my 70 Javelin. When fixing the crack under the glove box with plastex I broke a tab off, used plastex to glue it back on. Nice and strong Thumbs Up
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic