TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New EFI Intake Manifold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 85>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2018 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by SONOFAMX SONOFAMX wrote:

Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

Why can't we keep this thread on track?

If it doesn't pertain to the new Edelbrock intake then it shouldn't be posted on this thread.

Have some common courtesy and respect the time and effort Dennis has made for us.

Some of you guys just don't seem to understand this.

Tom 

Listen Tom I have my build on hold waiting for this intake to come out as i'm sure others do too. Maybe Dennis can keep us more updated in where this project is and why it's taking so long.

I too would like to buy a setup,
but always took this thread as an early sneak preview.

As amazing of a help Dennis is to the hobby, 
I'm sure he's only allowed to say so much, and might be waiting to back up the dyno run to not seem like he's making lofty claims.

He did say Chevy-Ford-Mopars were waiting to be dyno'd as well,
maybe the AMC got bumped back.Ouch

I just picked up a new RPM Air Gap, and would have rather put the $$ towards a new AMC Single Plane "Menace" Intake instead,
but seeing it in it's preproduction state tells me it might still be a while.

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 11:46am
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

Originally posted by SONOFAMX SONOFAMX wrote:

<div id="i4c-draggable-container" style=": fixed; : 1499; width: 0px; height: 0px;"><div -reactroot="" ="resolved"="" style="all: initial;">
Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

Why can't we keep this thread on track?

If it doesn't pertain to the new Edelbrock intake then it shouldn't be posted on this thread.

Have some common courtesy and respect the time and effort Dennis has made for us.

Some of you guys just don't seem to understand this.

Tom 

<div id="i4c-dialogs-container">

Listen Tom I have my build on hold waiting for this intake to come out as i'm sure others do too. Maybe Dennis can keep us more updated in where this project is and why it's taking so long.

I too would like to buy a setup,
but always took this thread as an early sneak preview.

As amazing of a help Dennis is to the hobby, 
I'm sure he's only allowed to say so much, and might be waiting to back up the dyno run to not seem like he's making lofty claims.

He did say Chevy-Ford-Mopars were waiting to be dyno'd as well,
maybe the AMC got bumped back.Ouch

I just picked up a new RPM Air Gap, and would have rather put the $$ towards a new AMC Single Plane "Menace" Intake instead,
but seeing it in it's preproduction state tells me it might still be a while.

I guess that is pretty much what it was intended it to be Jim!! A "sneak preview".

The reason I haven't posted any progress reports recently is because there has not been anything to report, other than the engine is now bolted down inside one of the engine dyno cells. I guess I could start making stuff up, but I don't think you guys want that.       

As I'm sure most of you understand Edelbrock works on multiple projects all at the same time during the year and obviously some projects have a higher priority than others.

Most of our projects move through the research and development stages and testing without you guys ever knowing anything about them until the part is released to the public. In this case you guys knew about it in the beginning stage and you were able to voice your opinions and ideas.

In the AMC world we have to be realistic and remember that we are not at the top of the priority list, but at least we are on the list and progress is being made on a new intake and EFI system for us. Things may seem like they are moving slow in some of your opinions but if this thread had never been started you would have no idea that we are even working on something new for the AMC V8.

I have been trying to keep this thread realistic and keep everyone here up to date with actual facts and actual progress on this project. True, Jim is correct, I am not supposed to tell every little detail about the project. Pictures of prototypes are usually a no-no too. I will not make any unrealistic guess when the manifold or EFI system will be done like someone SONOFAMX talked to did at one of the Edelbrock trailers a while back. In my 24 plus years working here I kind of know how things are done and how priorities (development time, sales potential, Etc.) are considered and I have to say that we (AMC guys) are all lucky that this company is giving us the attention that they have through the years. We are a small percentage of overall business, but at least for now we are still on the Edelbrock radar.

BTW, along with several new EFI systems being developed and everything else we currently have going we are also working on a couple of new carburetors! More on those later!!

Dennis

Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

BTW, along with several new EFI systems being developed and everything else we currently have going we are also working on a couple of new carburetors! More on those later!!

I LOVE carburetors!  I will be anxiously waiting!
Addicted to acceleration.
Owner and Admin for
www.classracerinfo.com
Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 2:38pm
Thanks Dennis and a bigger thanks to Edelbrock for keeping us on the RADAR. we truly are lucky! And lucky to see and be part of new developments.

Allan
69 AMX 9.86 132 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, .. NAMDRA member #1106
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 4:06pm
Agree with post above.

Thank you Dennis, and Thank YOU to the Edelbrocks for keeping AMC in their thoughts.

I have two Edlebrock intakes now and most likely will be accumulating more intakes from them in the future.

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
pwrslide View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwrslide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Class Guy Class Guy wrote:

I LOVE carburetors!  I will be anxiously waiting!

X2 on Carbs......Literally

THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2018 at 11:58am
Here are the numbers from Dyno testing.

1972 AMC 417 CID, 9.75:1 compression, 1 ¾” dyno headers with 3” collectors.
Fuel: 91 octane Chevron pump gas.

So far the test engine has been run with the following combinations:

Combination #1
#60119 RPM Heads
#7531 RPM Air Gap Intake
#7132 RPM series cam
850 CFM Holley Carb.

*465 HP and 487 lb-ft.

Combination #2
#60119 RPM Heads
#7531 RPM Air Gap Intake
#7132 RPM cam
#1813 800 CFM Carb.

*450 HP and 512 lb-ft.

Combination #3
#60119 RPM Heads
Prototype Intake
#7132 RPM cam
#1813 800 CFM Carb.

*465 HP and 499 lb-ft.

Combination #4
#60119 RPM Heads
Prototype Intake
#7132 RPM cam
Pro-Flo 4 EFI setup

*465 HP and 487 lb-ft.
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2018 at 12:12pm
Looks like the prototype intake likes velocity created in the plenum more than created in the runners. Maybe some adjustment to the plenum floor shape may help with higher CFM fuel delivery. Obviously peeps wanting EFI may be a wee disappointed.

I'd be interested to see a test with a 1" thick spacer with ports under the EFI. I know it will be big, but it may allow better results.

Edited by 304-dude - Oct/03/2018 at 12:16pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2018 at 1:12pm
Sounds like the tiny runner Performer RPM Air Gap is doing a fine job on that 417" engine. Be interesting to see the BSFC numbers on those pulls. Hope your able to share a lot more results and glad to see the process has started.

Tom

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2018 at 3:28pm

Here are the numbers from Dyno testing.

1972 AMC 417 CID, 9.75:1 compression, 1 ¾” dyno headers with 3” collectors.
Fuel: 91 octane Chevron pump gas.

So far the test engine has been run with the following combinations:

Combination #1
#60119 RPM Heads
#7531 RPM Air Gap Intake
#7132 RPM series cam
850 CFM Holley Carb.

*465 HP and 487 lb-ft.

Combination #2
#60119 RPM Heads
#7531 RPM Air Gap Intake
#7132 RPM cam
#1813 800 CFM Carb.

*450 HP and 512 lb-ft.

Combination #3
#60119 RPM Heads
Prototype Intake
#7132 RPM cam
#1813 800 CFM Carb.

*465 HP and 499 lb-ft.

Combination #4
#60119 RPM Heads
Prototype Intake
#7132 RPM cam
Pro-Flo 4 EFI setup

*465 HP and 487 lb-ft.

Thank you for posting the results Dennis Clap

I'm surprised all the results were so similar to each other.

Surprised going from an 800 to an 850 on the AirGap RPM was +15HP but -25 tq

Holleys usually seem to dyno better, maybe due to the dyno operator's ability to tune them,
but I'd guess the Edelbrock crew knows their way around their own carbs better than most (= the ability to get 25 more ft-lbs out of the Eddy carb).

Nice that the Prototype intake matches the AirGap/Holley HP with the Eddy carb and with the MPI.

The prototype looks pretty big in the pics,
 so I was thinking +25 or 30hp over the AirGap RPM,
I wonder if the Prototype was still pulling when they reached their RPM limits of the dyno run(?)

Either way, nice job! I will gladly hand over $$ for it when it's ready Clap

Published, original Air Gap RPM graphic:

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 85>
  Share Topic