TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New EFI Intake Manifold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 85>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New EFI Intake Manifold
    Posted: Dec/04/2017 at 12:49pm
If Edelbrock were going to design a new EFI intake manifold what (if any) suggestions do people here have for the new design?

I'll be going to a meeting on this subject this week and would like to get your input and ideas to talk about a new AMC V8 EFI intake development.

Thanks
   Dennis

Edited by THE MENACE - Jul/11/2018 at 4:35pm
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2017 at 1:01pm
An adjustable intake that you could configure for single 4150 mounting and dual 4150 flange ( dual tunnel ram ).

Steve
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2017 at 1:06pm
At least two locations for temperature senders. One for the EFI ECU to use and one for a "gauge" on the dash. 

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2017 at 1:26pm
I'm thinking MPI, dual throttle body with motor driven open/split plenum (like Honda had done with pre 2013 V6 motors).

It would make serious engines more street responsive by shifting torque curve when RPM is below 4K.

Plus if done modular style (like Honda) you can tune with adjustable runner configuration, by adding a multi port runner spacer, as the left and right bank runners from the heads meet dead center and offset, so a single runner spacer can be changed out in 25 minutes (no gasket sealer needed, uses a multi layer sandwiched steel gasket on both ends. The ease and speed comes from the main body being bolted to the runners not the heads, at its center.

Pretty slick yet for the money worth every penny for satisfying the masses, instead of limiting to a select group in particular.

Edited by 304-dude - Dec/04/2017 at 1:36pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Lenni AMC View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lenni AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2017 at 1:34pm
The same intake as they had with the Proflow injections
But with a 4150 plenum so the carb guys can use it as well ( Double the sales )

AMC Gremlin w/401
6.212 @ 117.01 - 1/8 Mile
9.785 @ 133.11 - 1/4 Mile
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCikyNqrfpMB8VzLd910Hkhg

https://rbjracing1.wixsite.com/website
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2017 at 4:41pm
I second that. 

If Edelbrock produced the Proflo with a 4150 top I think it would be the go to intake for most of the AMC crowd
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2017 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by jcisworthy jcisworthy wrote:

I second that. 

If Edelbrock produced the Proflo with a 4150 top I think it would be the go to intake for most of the AMC crowd

Ditch the Torker and go with this idea!
Gremlin Dreams
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2017 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

If Edelbrock were going to design a new EFI intake manifold what (if any) suggestions do people here have for the new design?

I'll be going to a meeting on this subject this week and would like to get your input and ideas to talk about a new AMC V8 EFI intake development.

Thanks
   Dennis

I think Edelbrock should already have a good idea. I know we already went over the extra water spicket for the the drivers side. Plenum size was adequate after lowering the plenum height so the hood of an AMX could close using a lower drop air cleaner. Last but not least we ran a non ported EFI intake with a 4150 flange at the Engine Masters Challenge this year with no problems handling 7000 RPM and no problem supporting an extra 200HP over stock. Also tested the H.S. pedestal rockers and the exhaust to 7500 RPM. The intake widens the power range nicely and has a more efficient design.

JTSLLC1
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2017 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Lenni AMC Lenni AMC wrote:

The same intake as they had with the Proflow injections
But with a 4150 plenum so the carb guys can use it as well

Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

Originally posted by jcisworthy jcisworthy wrote:

I second that. 

Yeah, that idea is already at the top of my list as well!

Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

At least two locations for temperature senders. One for the EFI ECU to use and one for a "gauge" on the dash.

Not sure what you are saying here Ken. Our current Pro-Flow EFI intake has a location for the OE sender (1/8" pipe) on the far left side front of the intake for a gauge. The EFI manifold also has as a location on the right side front for the EFI coolant temp sensor to be installed. What am I missing?

Dennis       
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2017 at 7:36pm
The only complaints I ever really heard about Edelbrock MPI was the control system didn't keep up with the times & not having the specialized support in place when unique problems arose. 

I don't know enough about programming MPI systems to offer much help here,

Would it be better to use/allow an existing/upgradable/open source system like Mega-Squirt?

Or maybe combine forces with a company that has the expertise and support structure already in place for a stand alone MPI system that could be adapted to any engine.

^assuming this would be for the next generation of Edelbrock MPI systems for more than just us.

Being able to run larger throttle bodies and injectors later to support more horsepower in the future is probably beyond what Edelbrock is marketing for,
but if the system is upgradable later it would appeal to people who think they'll want 750-1000hp later (even though most never will).
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 85>
  Share Topic