TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New AMC body panels - the REALITY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therebelmachineguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New AMC body panels - the REALITY
    Posted: Mar/10/2017 at 7:07pm
Thank you all very much for the kind words about being able to reproduce the new body panels for AMCs. 

Well now we do so it's time to change your thinking and get going on those projects sitting in garages barns and backyards all over the continent. I'm not immortal. When I stop making the parts that will be it for everyone. While they last new parts will drive up the value of your cars. I will authenticate your panels for you to show that quality parts were used to restore/repair your car via your VIN numbers.

Most of you are thinking you can get parts from Arizona and so on. Well as the owners retire and die off, so do the yards. What's left now is the stuff no one wanted previously.

Recently we opened up the rockers of an Arizona Rebel. It was seriously rusty inside. Only the 14 gauge steel #1 middle rocker was in good enough shape to be reused. So it's a crap shoot when you're buying used parts - especially rockers which are the most vulnerable of the important parts most of you need.

If you know your rockers are rusty, chances are they're also dangerous to the point it's not worth restoring the car unless you deal with them properly. 

The #1 middle rocker is a key component. If yours is beyond salvation, buy new ones. They are expensive to make. That's because the forming has to include lateral strength as well as longitudinal strength that is just not present in a homemade effort - you get one but not both. Insurance companies like to hear that you used authentic parts when you go to put your car on the road. Our parts are as good or better than original. 

Just so you know, it takes four hours for a pro with state of the art equipment to drill all the spot welds out of a rusted rocker without damaging the #1 middle rocker. Installing an Arizona rocker is actually more expensive in the long run and without the guarantee that it's any good. 

If you are doing rocker work, you can order the parts you need as there are a number of parts involved and they are all new and fit properly. NO rust. 

I'm bringing the 72 Javelin into the shop on Tuesday next. We will template that car as completely as we can including rockers and maybe even the trunk if possible. The trunk on this one is beat so not holding my breath on that but we'll see. We won't be dismantling it because the car is a loaner and I will be giving it back in better shape than it was when I borrowed it. 

If you have a car that could benefit from that process you might want to consider it. Especially if it's an AMX and it has brakes and runs. You have to get it to my house in Trenton, Ontario for that to work. 

Anyway, if I were you, I'd be saving my money and investing in some body panels. They won't get any cheaper than they are right now. For instance, floor pans are $150 right now for Rebels, Matadors and Marlins. That price will be going up by at least $25 each come fall.

So the bottom line is this: save your money and start buying parts while you can. This won't last forever. Put a sense of urgency into it.

I don't mean to sound abrasive but I also don't want to be having people moaning over not getting the parts when they were available. Almost all of us doing this are well past retirement age with all the usual infirmities. We don't have replacement people waiting in the wings. The next generation didn't think they needed these skills. 

When you send the money for your parts, the money is kept in an escrow account until your part is shipped to you. If for some reason your part cannot be supplied - like I died or someone else equally critical to the manufacture of these parts dies or becomes unfit to work, your money will be returned.

It's not like there's tons of orders at once to sort through and turnaround is only a week or two at this point. So I'd say the process is as safe as I can make it for you and as risk free as possible.

But again, the only way you can order any parts is to send me an e-mail. First come first served.

I do have a small waiting list and those people will be notified shortly.

We all want the same thing: to keep our AMCs on the road and track and be confident that the car is built with correct, safe parts. 

I'll go one more. If you know your car's rockers are not done properly, do them over. Better to be safe than sorry.
Manufacturing the only authentic Rebel Machine Stripe Kit since 1996 and now manufacturing new sheetmetal panels for AMC Automobiles
Jeraudet View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeraudet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2017 at 7:44pm
Do you have rockers, and rear quarters for a 68 rambler american
redlineoryourmine View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redlineoryourmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2017 at 9:13pm
Yep need 65 rear quarters for a american also. how funny the 2 new guys need almost same things.
Jeraudet View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeraudet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 7:35am
The part that stinks is evryone who has them wants ridiculous money for them
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 1:55pm
I think one should count oneself lucky to be able to get new body parts at all for a 50 year-old car.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 2:20pm
A Mustang/Charger/Camaro, you can build from a VIN...
Its all about how high is the demand.

So Clap to the therebelmachineguy for supplying the AMC Family.

John if we ever meet, remind me to buy you a beer Wink

Holger

Edited by SirDigger - Apr/27/2017 at 2:23pm
SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
therebelmachineguy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therebelmachineguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 7:37pm
You're on. I'll be in Kenosha this year.

Manufacturing the only authentic Rebel Machine Stripe Kit since 1996 and now manufacturing new sheetmetal panels for AMC Automobiles
Jamey View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 10:43pm
I need 70 javelin body panels. I also am looking 64 classic panels. Please contact me if you can help
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therebelmachineguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 10:54pm
This forum is not working properly.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therebelmachineguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 10:56pm
This is my last try for now Jamey (#3)
I'll need to open a file on your cars.
Need contact info so I know who you are to avoid confusion.
Please contact me at 613-392-8973
or 
gullyfourmyle@gmail.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic