TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New 1968/69 Javelin/AMX/Rambler suspension upgrade
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New 1968/69 Javelin/AMX/Rambler suspension upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 17>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2017 at 8:30am
It was great meeting Al and his wife. I'd love to see your Drag car in action one of these days too!
One of my customers was there with his Rambler too. There were 10 Cars in CAM-T, Dairyland Fabrication equipped cars took 3rd and 5th!

Even more impressive is that when I combine the times with CAM-C (newer American rear-drive cars) we are still in the top half of the standings!

For those waiting on the next batch, I appreciate your patience while I'm out "testing".
On a serious note, It's important to me that I'm making a product that performs. Better cornering/ride quality on the street, and the look of the lower ride height is great. But having the opportunity with these events to really hammer on the components is important to me.
Now... I really need to buckle down and get a pile of these out the door!

Edited by 343sharpstick - Sep/25/2017 at 8:46am
amxautox View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxautox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2017 at 10:27am
Good going. Clap

Do you have a picture of the upper mount without the spring in place? The a-arm can be there, but I need to see past the spring. Maybe a close up.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 10:06am
I'm drooling on myself here...
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
XRX744 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XRX744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 11:36am
Impressive results, congrats! 
69 AMX, pro touring /track car, TEAM tribute, aka: "The Kenosha Corncob"
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 5:54pm
Question:
I have a 1969 Javelin with Scarebird front disc brake kit. Other than 70 and up knuckles, what would I need spindle-wise? Brakes?
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2017 at 8:13pm
If the the '69 Rambler does not sell before I move to Texas, I would love to do this!
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2017 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Red20 Red20 wrote:

Question:
I have a 1969 Javelin with Scarebird front disc brake kit. Other than 70 and up knuckles, what would I need spindle-wise? Brakes?

Thanks for the kudos, I've been walkin' around with a smile all week.

I have several of the needed knuckles available.

All the AMC spindles have the same 4-bolt pattern where it mounts to the knuckle. So the trunnion knuckle and the two variants of 70 and up steering knuckles also have the same bolt pattern. You can use any spindle on any steering knuckle. So no need to make any changes to your brake setup.

Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2017 at 10:37pm
Thanks for developing this kit. I've been experimenting with modifying the trunion front end for a while too. Overall I think it works great for spirited street use and mine rides great and sits nice. It's stock 67 Rogue except for shorter custom springs from Coil Spring Specialties. I tried three sets before I was happy. The biggest issue is lack of caster and steering centering/feel. Plus the inherent bind in the lower control arm/strut rod pivot points.

What do you do to increase caster? Have you moved the upper ball joint to the rear with the new upper control arms?
How much wheel travel is there and what is the spring rate?

How does it do on the street with pot holes and the heim joints instead of the rubber bushings?

I'm very interested.

Thanks!

343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2017 at 6:23pm
I agree with your assessment of the stock setup.
I do increase caster by moving the top of the steering knuckle back slightly. However, it has enough adjustment at the upper control arm available to set up the suspension just about any way you would like. I have 7 degrees of Caster now with my car, I started with 4 and moved around just to find what I liked.

I'm using a 12-Inch 400 lb Spring. I worked with QA1 to determine the appropriate spring rate for street/AutoX combination. It's been working out very well.

I don't have the wheel travel dimensions here now, but I designed it with as much wheel travel as possible without the wheel contacting the inner trough inside the fender under full compression. The ride quality is actually better than it was stock, as there is no more bind and 'stiction' in the suspension, and it reacts quicker to the road. You can turn the adjustable shocks to full-soft and it's very smooth, but I prefer a bit more damping, and I just leave it at the AutoX adjustments.
Adjusting front shock damping is a very nice option to have too :)

Edited by 343sharpstick - Nov/03/2017 at 6:28pm
Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2017 at 8:03pm
Thanks for your comments. The more I look at it the more I like it.

By-the-way, I love your car. The dark green, vinyl top, stance and wheels are perfect!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 17>
  Share Topic