TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New 1968/69 Javelin/AMX/Rambler suspension upgrade
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New 1968/69 Javelin/AMX/Rambler suspension upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoffa711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2020 at 2:44pm
Those are the same knuckles. I purchased a set and with a little research found that they are exactly the same.
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2020 at 9:17pm
You are correct. This is good news for future customers!
On the left is a 1970 version. The Center one is the NOS AMC unit, and on the right is the NEW ARGO unit!
The Argo steering unit is a direct replacement for the stock steering knuckle. No more need to search junk yards. That said, getting them from a junk yard seems to save some money. good to have another option!
Weight is about the same Stock version .509 lbs, the Argo unit is .518 lbs.

Edited by 343sharpstick - Jan/14/2020 at 9:43pm
70,71,72 AMXS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,71,72 AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2020 at 8:08am
Any idea what prompted them to produce these? I mean, I think it's great but these are for an AMC and all..
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2020 at 9:18am
I was wondering the same thing. I did call a chat with the Argo sales rep.
BTW, It seems like a great small manufacturing company that makes products used by circle track racers.
Apparently racers had been previously using Mustang II steering components, and at some point a few race car fabricators realized the AMC Pacer setup had better geometry than that of the Mustang II components.  (More space between the ball joints and better Ackermann angle).

The AMC knuckle can fit commonly used racing screw-in ball joints, K772-upper & K719 ir K727-lower. My kit uses the QA1 1210-201S upper ball joint which is a longer race version of the K772 which improves roll center.

The Pacer components use a different steering arm with the same steering knuckle as all other AMC's.
The Pacer assembly uses a rack and pinion, so that's the reason for the different steering arm.

ARGO also makes a hybrid AMC 'pin' (A.K.A. Spindle) that apparently fits a commonly used Mustang II brake disc/hub assembly.
I have not looked into that yet, but may have benefits if putting together a high performance brake package.

It may just be a sign from a higher power that there needs to be more old AMC's that handle like new cars in the world! Wink

Edited by 343sharpstick - Jan/23/2020 at 9:26am
timj5130@gmail.com View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timj5130@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2020 at 10:54am
Is this company/product still available?
timj5130@gmail.com View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timj5130@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2020 at 11:05am
Jan
How did you get in contact with this company?
I want to order the same kit but theres no way to contact them-no phone number. Do you have a phone for them?
Thank you
Tim
thefdoo View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefdoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2020 at 1:29pm

I emailed with 343sharpstick for my kit.  dairylandfab@tds.net was the email.

amxracer View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2020 at 8:17pm
I am interested in a kit for my 1969 AMX please advise how best to contact you.
Thx
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2020 at 11:05am
Originally posted by 343sharpstick 343sharpstick wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. I did call a chat with the Argo sales rep.
BTW, It seems like a great small manufacturing company that makes products used by circle track racers.
Apparently racers had been previously using Mustang II steering components, and at some point a few race car fabricators realized the AMC Pacer setup had better geometry than that of the Mustang II components.  (More space between the ball joints and better Ackermann angle).

The AMC knuckle can fit commonly used racing screw-in ball joints, K772-upper & K719 ir K727-lower. My kit uses the QA1 1210-201S upper ball joint which is a longer race version of the K772 which improves roll center.

The Pacer components use a different steering arm with the same steering knuckle as all other AMC's.
The Pacer assembly uses a rack and pinion, so that's the reason for the different steering arm.

ARGO also makes a hybrid AMC 'pin' (A.K.A. Spindle) that apparently fits a commonly used Mustang II brake disc/hub assembly.
I have not looked into that yet, but may have benefits if putting together a high performance brake package.

It may just be a sign from a higher power that there needs to be more old AMC's that handle like new cars in the world! Wink

I have been eyeing those spindle pins for some ideas for a big brake setup I plan on attempting to fab. I still haven't made a final decision on Wilwood Superlites, or Cadillac ATS Brembos. That will mostly depend on how the new rims I will order soon would fit either of these options.
Terrysouthwest View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terrysouthwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2020 at 12:40pm
How do I get on youre waiting list for the front suspension upgrade for my 1969 AMX . TERRYSOUTHWEST
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>
  Share Topic