TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Need to replace pilot bearing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need to replace pilot bearing
    Posted: Apr/09/2015 at 7:10am
Old one is cracked and slightly mushroomed on the visable side. How doe I remove the old one?
emspaul View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote emspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2015 at 7:23am
There are a couple of ways to do it. I like to take a slide hammer with a hook end and pull it out .
I have heard of people stuffing it with grease and taking your clutch alining tool and pushing it out using that .I have never tried that one. good luck

tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2015 at 8:22am
I've used bread, stuff it in till it's tight, then used the clutch aligning tool.

It has to be a old input shaft as the aligning tool, because you have to hammer it. Hydraulic pressure will push the bearing out.

It works better than the thick grease method.

Edited by tyrodtom - Apr/09/2015 at 8:25am
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2015 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by emspaul emspaul wrote:

I like to take a slide hammer with a hook end and pull it out .

That's the way my Dad did them.
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2015 at 1:40pm
Hard wooden dowel to fit tight and grease and hammer on the end.
If it is cracked all the way thru you might be able to pry it out?
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2015 at 3:50pm
My local Auto Zone allowed me to check out their pilot bushing remover tool. AZ hopes you will buy their replacement parts when you return the tool. A cash deposit or credit card number to insure you will return the tool undamaged is required.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Xplorer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2015 at 5:43am
Went the Autozone route. Worked like a charm and took a whole minute or 2. Thanks for the idea.
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2015 at 11:34am
Excellent!
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
Xplorer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 3:54pm
It seems that when pressing in (ie:hammering on an impact socket) the pilot bushing,  I must have "mushroomed" the bushing. After installing the clutch and bellhousing, I couldn't get the trans all the way in, so I removed everything and tried to get the snout of the T-10 into the bushing/bearing. Only goes part of the way in. Any suggestions?
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 5:52pm
Get a reamer. A drill bit works in a pinch but may take out too much. This is assuming it's not bottoming out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic