TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

need to clean aluminum grill

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need to clean aluminum grill
    Posted: Feb/28/2015 at 12:07pm
I recently found a 1963 classic grille at a nearby yard. Lil bent up but thought it would look good on the wall. It needs cleaned BAD. Its been in the yard for over 25 years. Its very heavily oxidized. So much that it looks white.Was just wondering what others have used/recommend to clean old aluminum grilles & trim pieces. Thanks for any advice
Paul
1963 Classic 770 Cross Country
1964 Classic 660 4door
1964 Classic 770 2 door sedan
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2015 at 12:38pm
Most of AMC's aluminum grilles are anodized. To get it shiny again you need to strip off the anodizing and then polish it. Once it's polished clear coat it to keep the shine or you'll have to keep polishing it every few months. I believe I read somewhere that oven cleaner will remove the anodizing. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone on the forum will correct me. '63 Classic grilles are getting extremely rare. If you get it looking good enough, consider selling it and use the money to buy something else for your car. No sense hanging "money" on the wall.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
2beersmaybe3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2015 at 1:27pm
Thanks for the info. Sorry to say, I don't know what "anodized" is. Is it just a coating. A buddy told me to use rubbing compound, all it did was make the dull white oxidized haze, into a shiny white oxidized haze.

As far as the rarity of the grill, I am aware of this. Its in better shape than some cars I've seen for sale here & there, but its far from being in good shape either. It has a good dent on the top part that goes under the hood & a fairly tight kink(small) in a top corner. The 4 pacman shape light bezels are in good shape tho. Just thought it would be good for the wall or over man door for shed/rambler room/my cave.

Once the anodization is gone, will the aluminum be ruined. The haze is probally stuck on the anodized stuff anyway. I'll give it a shot

Thank you
1964 Classic 660 4door
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2015 at 1:47pm
You have to be very careful using oven cleaner to strip the anodizing. The oven cleaner will eat in to the aluminum & pit it, or go the whole way thru. Other areas will barely be touched.

Spraying it with WD 40 & polishing with fine steel wool may improve its appearance.  
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2015 at 4:01pm
OOO Fine steel wool has always worked for me. Just clean the grit & dirt off first.
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2015 at 8:20am
Try vinegar to strip the white gunk off of it. It might take a week or so of soaking to accomplish the task but it might be worth your time. Try an end in a bucket or tub first before investing a lot of money into gallons of vinegar. The stuff you buy for salads is pretty mild and there is an industrial stuff is out there.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Freecat1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freecat1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2015 at 9:38am
Try a little bug and tar remover. Sounds weird but try a little spot.
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2015 at 11:58am
I have heard of the bug n tar remover before
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
2beersmaybe3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2015 at 5:11am
Thanks folks. I never thought about vinegar or bug/tar remover. When looking at the auto detail section, so many products said not to use on aluminum. My 64 classic sat since 76. The grille looks really good. This 63 grille however is just hazed, hazed, hazed. I'm glad its not going on a car. Its in fair shape other than the haze. I thought about the oven cleaner route. As long as I sorta babysit it, it won't have time to eat through it

I might try something different on each of the 4 headlight bezels to see what works better. Figure if I test on these if one gets ruined I've seen them on eBay, but not the whole grille, at wall art prices anyway. I will report back with the results.
1964 Classic 660 4door
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2015 at 6:53am
Pickeling vinegar 7%. Most grocery stores carry it in gallon plastic bottles.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic