TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need photo of 73, 74 blue sports steering wheel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Need photo of 73, 74 blue sports steering wheel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need photo of 73, 74 blue sports steering wheel
    Posted: Jun/21/2017 at 3:10pm
Having a bit of trouble trying to match color. My 71 sports wheel became lighter and greyish after years of use. The 74 blue sports wheel i think has the same issue.

My 73 sports wheel was slightly darker tan than crash pad, but was a close match with center cap.

So, I assume the center cap is to match crash pad and the steering wheel rim is to closely match the center cap.

Need a good picture of a blue sports wheel with center cap. Preferably one with low miles or in excellent condition.

I have seen way too many variances with colors for 73 to 74 Javelins in need of restoration and restomoded form. Some are obviously were not part of the orginal color scheme, the ones that looked stock, were in need of restoration.

Will accept as many pictures from various members who are able to post, to estimate the best color match i can do without having one in my hands to compare.

I will be using an Adobe image tool application to remove tint, adjust gamma, and illumination to pick color and convert to rgb info to assist in verification between the color samples.

Once done I can post my color patch for verification for peeps to print on bright white paper and compare to their wheel.

Hopefully I can get enough info from pics to start on my color match by Monday. Crosses fingers!
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2017 at 7:00pm

Not the greatest pic because I wrapped mine with an NOS leather wrap,  but you can see near the edges of the spokes how light this one faded.  There are two different blue wheels - one Jeep, the other AMC and the colour is quite different, even though they were both used for Levis interiors. There may even be three blue colors - I don't know.  But they do all seem to fade pretty bad, especially if they're worn down.

I would suggest you use the rest of my interior to judge what colour you need. The wheel is not original to this car, but the rest of the interior is cherry. This car was an unmolested 45,000 original mile survivor that spent most of it's life sitting in a dark parking garage. 

Edited by Fluffy73 - Jun/21/2017 at 7:03pm
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2017 at 7:23pm
Thanks! It's nice enough picture... Though I found out I will be matching to a non AMC color, though about a shade or two darker.

It gives me a base to look at.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic