TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Need paint formula

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burrpenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need paint formula
    Posted: Apr/20/2017 at 3:11pm
1969 AMX Beal street blue, P64. Local Dupont jobber does not have it for their Chromabase (base coat). PPG does, but not sure if it will match the original as well?  
George-'69 AMX 390/AT
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 1:10pm
Did the jobber offer to photo color shoot?  If you bring a part in that is painted, preferably a part that was not exposed to the sun ( underside of hood/trunk, door jamb, etc.. they can get a very,very close color match ( in most cases).

Since many of our cars were painted with single stage paint from the factory, when a switch is made to BB/CC there is going to be some minor color, hue or shade differences. If you are painting the entire car, this may be an acceptable compromise for you. If not, then painting the car in single stage may be the only solution and even then, getting the color 100% may be difficult at best. 

Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

burrpenick View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burrpenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 6:32pm
I'm done!: bought the PPG base/clear today! Dupont didnt have a formula for base, but did offer something after discussing it with the home office. I wasnt really happy w/that option. Some folks think PPG products are better than Duponts, but again, this is probably the FORD VS CHEVY thing all over again. PPGs price was better and I was happy with what I got. This GALLON is definitely darker and richer looking than the quart of PPG Urethane I previously bought. It will also be going over a medium gray primer- not the enamel blue paint that I applied to the jambs/hood/trunk. (car now has Epoxy first, then Y2). I had no original panels to take for a picture- even tried under some rubber, but it was not good enough. I'll be happy I'm sure, getting a real primo job on this car as it deserverd, a 100% southern California car (except its birth in Kenosha WI)).
Thanks to all that offered help!
George-'69 AMX 390/AT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic