TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Need Input On Sandblaster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Input On Sandblaster
    Posted: Jun/16/2016 at 11:44pm
I have been looking for a portable sandblaster. I need one that I can do fenders, doors or whatever with. I recently had a 40 gallon Harbor Freight pot but just sold it at our yard sale after doing a couple doors. It was just not efficient and was a time killer.

Anyone got a suggestion for one that would do just about anything w/o breaking the bank?

I have been tempted to buy Eastwood's 200 lb pot since a person can buy it for $199 less 10% now and free shipping but hate to get just one step better than the Harbor Freight one that I had.
Has anyone used one of these?
1966 Rambler Rogue
1980 Avanti 383 Stroker
1957 Chev BelAir 2 dr HT 327 Selling
1986 Jeep Comanche 4x4

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2016 at 1:21am
I have one of these:

I think the effectiveness of all of these will be pretty much limited by your air supply. Mine probably took me 2 days to do a Gremlin engine bay with a 15 cfm compressor. Learnt a few things in the process, but the main thing is keeping the air supply up to it.
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2016 at 3:36am
Air supply is the key. An undersized air supply hose to the blast hopper results in friction loss. A loss of 1 psi results in a 1 1/2% reduction in production rate, i.e. a loss of 10 psi means a loss of 15% of production.
You have to have 100 psi at the pot when blasting, not when it's stopped. Watch the gauge when you start to blast and see what it drops to. Nozzle size is also critical. A #1 nozzle (this has a 1/8" opening) needs a 26 cfm compressor !
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

IdahoSpud View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2016 at 7:45am
Air supply is not my problem. I have two 7.5 hp, 60 gallon air compressors tied together. That should be sufficient. A blaster with a 1/2" hose leaving the pot instead of a 3/8' is more desirable I know.

I would like to find a sandblaster that does not take a couple days to do a engine compartment. I had a chance to buy a Lindsay 200 for $250 but the guy (that was 10 hrs away) decided he would not ship it to me.

Has anyone used the Eastwood 200lb sandblaster?
1966 Rambler Rogue
1980 Avanti 383 Stroker
1986 Jeep Comanche 4x4

SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2016 at 3:05am
One thing to mention.

Big Sandblasters can damage the Bodypanels of a car pretty quick.
And a quick blast is a bad trade for a lot of bodywork/filler afterwards.

And you need the right blasting Material. 
Silica sand is mostly used(and not undangerous) but its sometimes not the best choice for sticky Paint.

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2016 at 8:46am
I used black Beauty sl*g on body parts.
It is very sharp and you can hit the paint at a sharp angle.
Move quick and check heat build up or you can total the part or leave yourself with metal shrinking that needs done.

So far I have been able to pull if off successfully, but you want a media that either does not build heat or one that is very sharp and works quick.

Tightly seal youself up a in a Tyvek or other suit. Blasting sl*g will tear you a new hole or two!
My masonary supply place stocks it.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2016 at 12:51pm
I chemically strip. Then DA with 80 grit. Any rust left such as pits, etc. I then spot blast those areas. If your epoxy allows an etch do that. If not apply epoxy to clean metal. Tack it and don't touch it with your bare hands. Depending on the size of the part I soak them in a vat of white vinegar and water. Takes a couple of days but takes off the rust without blasting. It does the work, not me. I neutralize the vinegar bath and still do a light blast. Just to be good and clean and have some tooth for the epoxy.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2016 at 3:26pm
I have the Harbor Freight 40 lb unit too.  It can be frustrating at times, but for the occasional use I give it it works ok for me. 

The key is having a very dry air supply, and as previously mentioned, a compressor that is large enough. My compressor is 11.5 cfm (at 90 psi) with a 60 gallon tank and it does the job.  $480 from Tractor Supply, and I got the air dryer there too.  When the silica pellets get saturated I dry them in the oven. 

For most things I use the sl*g that they sell at Tractor Supply (fine or extra-fine grit only) for about $7 a bag.  For more delicate things I use baking soda or a mixture of the two.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

IdahoSpud View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2016 at 10:35pm
I use 70 grit all of the time with a pot sandblaster but I am also careful with this lighter sand.
In my sandblast cabinet I use glass beads or walnut shells for the smaller things that go into a cabinet.

I just need a sandblaster that will do quite a bit more work than the Harbor Freight 40 lb.

What do you guys think about this pot at Eastwood. It does have the 1/2" input hose which really helps.
http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-200lb-pressure-abrasive-blaster.html
1966 Rambler Rogue
1980 Avanti 383 Stroker
1986 Jeep Comanche 4x4

LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2016 at 12:12am
Mel: Hope you're back at it and the knee is working well!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic