TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Need help with an engine problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 12:52pm
I'd still go after it wth 240 wet/dry paper and some wd-40 and finish up with something around 400. And dry it out with a clean rag and clean up and oil the other cylinders and call it good to go.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Peter D View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 3:28pm
Liberal use of oil in that cylinder prior to starting would be wise. As long as the engine turns free by hand you will be ok. The rings actuall ride the cylinder wall with the top ring as the first line of compression then backed up by the second thereafter the oil ring. Honed properly there should be no loss of compression or oil burning. No matter what it will run fine.  Good Luck
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 3:41pm
I would look for a condo in the oil pan. That's all it take to find all your effort would go to waste.You need to see if they didn't get into the drain back holes in the galley. Mice are slippery and can get into such small holes.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 6:13pm
Sorry to say but that thing may run, but it will have a short smokey life.
That damage is in the ring groove area and deep.

Cut yer losses, overhaul it.

Boris
Gremlin Dreams
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 7:25pm
I still don't understand why you wouldn't take it apart, thoroughly clean it, install new gaskets and run it for years.

I CAN understand doing a basic fix on an engine that had a bad component (worn rings etc.) but in this case the mice will be in other places you won't see until its apart and cleaned. They will plug an oil passage or the oil pickup and you will then be into it for a lot more money in machining the block and crank etc.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Xplorer Xplorer wrote:

I think I've done this correctly, if so, here is a picture of the cylinder:
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a509/69javelin343/DSC00782_zps360915f4.jpg - http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a509/69javelin343/DSC00782_zps360915f4.jpg

That looks better than I thought it would.  I'll bet a pop that a couple passes with a hone and that won't look so bad.  Yeah, it won't be pristine, but it won't look that bad.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Xplorer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2014 at 8:28am
I talked it over with the wife after looking at Rockauto. They list a ring and connecting bearing kit with gaskets from sealed pro for under $200. I guess she misses driving the AMX, because she gave to ok to spend the money. Anyone have any experience with this kit? I guess I have to wait till I pull the engine so I can measure the bores and journals till ordering the parts. I'm assuming that I can leave the crank in place unless I find a reason on disassembly to replace those bearings also...agreed? Thanks for all the input.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2014 at 8:54am
Let me throw one caution at this point......Before you take anything more apart, buy some PlastiGage and pull one main and one rod and see what it looks like....before ordering any parts.  I have re-built alot of these vintage AMC engines, most are sound to begin with and your does look very salvagable with minor parts.....I would check two things...Is there a plastic timing gear still installed??  If so IT MUST be replaced!!  That would be a factory gear and it is not wear as much as time on the gear is not kind...IT WILL BREAK.  Second, Pull the cam out and look at the Cam Bearings...and look for silver flakes in the oil pan or the pick up.  90% of original engines I tear down have major parts of the Cam Bearings missing...this is a giant loss of oil pressure.  I have taken alot of original AMC engines over the years, pulled pan, cleaned the pick up thoroughly, replaced the cam bearings, timing chain, inspected (not replaced) mains and rods......valve stem seals, clean and fresh paint and drove for alot of miles.   Check your heads for the presence of valve stem seal (really umbrellas), usually they are in the pan too!!!   This is a cake walk back to running.......the cylinder pic is much better then I was thinkning too.....flat hone and back together, the key is clean everything adn careful assembly.  I buy alot of Rock Auto Parts, as long as it in name brand kit you are fine, they always are offering me a 5% discount...just google it and it works everytime!!!!!  Just let me know if I can help.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Peter D View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2014 at 9:02am
Point well made, the original nylon timing gears lasted about 80 K broke and resulted in bent valves. If your going to do bearings you need to know if you have standard journals or undersize before ordering, and if you do that work a nice valve job and seals are a must.
peter d
Xplorer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2014 at 9:31am
I guess I should note, I have a new chain, gears, cam, and lifters that I was not going to use when I first started this. About 10 yrs ago I was offered a coupon to redo my heads (I think it was for a valve job). It ended up a complete job (guides, springs, valves,etc.) When I took off the heads I had planned to do a complete engine job. In the time it took to completely redo the heads I had acquired the AMX and at that point the poor Javelin just sat in my garage. That's when the mice moved in. 8 or so years later I sold the AMX (needed money/laid off). It took a year or 2 for the bug to bite, and that's where I am now with the rust in the cylinder. I don't want to waste another engine since I wasted a completely rebuilt 343 in this car about 15yrs ago. The engines are getting harder to find and don't want to waste it or what money I do have. sorry for the long post.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic