TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - need help finding year of manufacture without tag
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

need help finding year of manufacture without tag

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need help finding year of manufacture without tag
    Posted: Jul/20/2016 at 11:51am
hey guys and gals, it's time to start building up the 304. i don't know much about it except that it was a running engine that was pulled out of a jeep for a 401 to go in it's  place. i need to find out the year so i can get the right parts for it. or does it really matter? where they all the same for the most part? i'm not doing a full rebuild on this one. freshen all the gaskets, timing chain, and a few other odds and ends.  here's some pics of it so maybe some on can possibly narrow down the time frame.

so any help or info is great. thanks
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2016 at 12:24pm
It is post 1975, but the parts you are talking about for a freshen up are all the same......when you get into valves, valve retainers/keeper, rocker arms, pushrods are about the only changes from day one to the end on 304's.  Looks like you want to put in Javelin, so be aware the accessories n the front change and can make it a challenge to get right water pump shaft length right and correct pulley combination or things start to get tight on the fan shroud.  If you are not putting air conditioning in the car, it is not as big a deal.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2016 at 1:03pm
so basically the ?internals on the heads were the only things that really changed? and i figured the accessory brackets would change from time to time. it's good to know that i can start ordering gasket kits today. yay.  this one is actually going to go in a jeep scrambler. the javelins going to take a little longer to get back together. so it's going to get my other 304. that ones going to get a full rebuild unless i find another really good one for a heck of a deal between now and then. where are all of these running 304's that everyone's always talking about throwing away because they can't give then away? i'm right here baby!!
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2016 at 1:26pm
If you pull the valve cover and/or intake, there MIGHT be a digit or two that indicate the last digit of the year cast. (some were lost in the casting process) It would be on the opposite end from the casting number on the head, and in the lifter valley of the block. An example would be a "5" indicating a 1975 casting, it might also say 75. But, like said above, most everything from 74-up is the same. There are some differences in the earlier motors.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2016 at 4:38pm
The 323 first digits on the casting number are a very late number, about 79. At least that is where the intake is from. The head casting number I have for a 79 304 is 3233324, and I think that's the weird high swirl head. Another clue is the distributor, in about 79 they changed to the Motorcraft distributor, which has the hex shape on the vacuum advance. Can't tell from the picture, but assuming this stuff is original it looks to me to be a 79. As stated there is not much changed on these things, so things like gaskets etc are all the same.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2016 at 4:55pm
I think after 73 the 401 has bridged rockers. So, if by chance it is pre 74, rocker arms will not require machining the heads, just good studs.

great find!

Edited by 304-dude - Jul/20/2016 at 4:58pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2016 at 6:58pm
The last two digits of the year of manufacture
are cast into the block under the intake on top
of the cam ways on every post 327 era V-8 I have seen.
Gremlin Dreams
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2016 at 12:01pm
The Heads usually have a embossment with the year. This head was casted in 1971 for example. When you get it apart, the rod and main bearings will have a date on the back side of them as well. If the bearings are original, they will have the AM logo on them
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2016 at 12:05pm
The oil pump and timing covers have a cast date on them as well.

The little circle under the bolt hole is where the date is.

Edited by SC397 - Jul/21/2016 at 12:29pm
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2016 at 5:52pm
thank you oh guru's of the amc. i knew if there was anywhere that i could get help finding out it would be here.Big smileClap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic