TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Natural low spot...???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Natural low spot...???
    Posted: Jul/15/2018 at 5:13pm
Kind of got an issue.. maybe...???
Is this a natural low spot on my Gremlin quarter panel...???
I am assuming/guessing that it is, because I have it on both sides at about the same place. 
I don't remember there being a spot like that before I started this little project, but I really didn't 
go around feeling, looking and touching for low and high spots. Confused
Can't really see it too well in the pic. But, you can sure feel it when you rub your hand over it. 

Thanks..!!! 

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2018 at 6:24pm
This may be totally off base but do you have the body on jackstands or on its wheels?  The reason I ask is that I worked quite a bit on a '77 1/2 Camaro once and when you jacked the rear end up by the bumper, IIRC the quarter would flex and create a low spot in the 'C' pillar.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2018 at 6:54pm
That's also where a buckle could appear if it got hit in the rear bumper moderately hard.

I've seen unibody cars wrinkle the quarter panels even though they got a hard hit in the front,  with no direct impact at the rear.

Edited by tyrodtom - Jul/15/2018 at 6:58pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2018 at 6:56pm
It's on a rotisserie and I've welded sub frame connectors under it, so it's not going anywhere. I've done some body work and I've been going thru some before pics and I still can't tell. I'll keep going thru the pics.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2018 at 7:03pm
No accident like that ever happened that I'm aware of. I've owned it since I was 18 and I've never wrecked it... Like that..!!! LOL..!!!
I got the car from my Grandmother and she might of backed into something at one time. Now that's highly plausible. I found stuff that she did that I was unaware of.
But your are correct. That's where a buckle would occur if hit in the direct rear.
Hoping that some one will respond that has a Gremlin and they could go see if their quarter panel is the same or not.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2018 at 7:31pm
My thoughts would be the installation of the sub frame connectors on the rotisserie.  It does not take much on a uni-body to get this when welding in floor pans, rockers etc if everything is not braced ahead of time.
I know it's more work , but cutting one end off each sub frame connector and try bracing pillars to rockers in a cross pattern to see if those low spots come out.  If they do then stretch the bracing slightly and re-weld in the sub frame connectors with short stitching opposite sides as you go.
My car came with sub frame connectors and I welded and measured as I went. From just over 1" corner to corner height and 1-1/2" out of square it ended up 0.001" and 0.002". This takes time, jacks, and you have to weld for were you desire the body to move.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2018 at 6:27pm
I appreciate the feed back, but I've got it figured out. 
It's a natural low spot. 
I just left my buddy's place that has a 76 and his has the same thing in the same area. 
All though I will say that his low spots aren't as prominent as mine are but they are still there. 
Even he was surprised by them. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic