TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Narrowing Model 20 Differential

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Narrowing Model 20 Differential
    Posted: Nov/19/2016 at 8:17am
It seems the V8 model 20 rear ends for the Americans are just like the 'A' body Mopar 8 3/4's...few and far between.  Is there any reason you couldn't take a model 20 out of another car line and narrow it to the American width?  I've seen Dana 60's narrowed by grinding out the tube welds on the center section, pulling the tubes, shortening them, and reinstalling the tubes.  I would think that someone has axles available.  Thoughts?  Pipe dream?  Not enough sleep?
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2016 at 8:33am
It depends on how original you want your rear to look. Cutting the bearing ends and replacing with a better option like Ford, and obtaining solid axles would make it easier, but still will need to have alignment done when installing the ends.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2016 at 9:02am
doctor diff has one piece axles  my son is running them in his Hornet hatchback

72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2016 at 9:58am
Originally posted by matty 401 matty 401 wrote:

doctor diff has one piece axles  my son is running them in his Hornet hatchback

So axles wouldn't be a problem.
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2016 at 12:19pm
Keep in mind the big body cars use coil springs and the smaller body cars use leafs.

Would be cool to see a coil spring rear in a small body car.

-Steve-

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2016 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Keep in mind the big body cars use coil springs and the smaller body cars use leafs.

Aaah.  So you'd be better off starting with an AMX/Javelin rear so you had the spring perches.  Good point.
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2016 at 5:04pm
I dont know how original you want it to look but I believe the factory american d be able diffs also used a 1 1/2 inch wide spring perch, the javelin and amx used a 2 inch wide perch. People seem to drill out the welds on a 8.8 so I would assume you can do it with a model 20
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2016 at 5:55pm
Why would you put Ford ends on a AMC axle?   Ditch the 20 and get a currie 9...Way more options built any way you want.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2016 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by 401harry 401harry wrote:

Why would you put Ford ends on a AMC axle?   Ditch the 20 and get a currie 9...Way more options built any way you want.

Back when I made my decision to go with a Ford rear, they were a cheap option, now they are not so. Assuming he has a two piece carrier, and is willing to get once piece axles, modifying an AMC 20 to be stout would be less costly, and lighter. The Ford rear setup I got is a bit heavier, though my axle choice cuts on weight, being Truck axles are pretty heavy.

Though a good Ford setup IMO would be an option for a highly modified engine, as a stock engine or close to stock with a cam would be bling.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2016 at 5:50pm
I had the original AMC 20 rear narrowed in our 67 American for more tire clearance and used Ford bearing ends. It frees you up to use common axles, bearings and seals. Prior to this I used Mosure one piece AMC axles and IIRC they used an uncommon sealed "green bearing" that sealed with a bead of silicone and I always had trouble with it leaking. The other advantage to the ford axle flanges is you can use any common rear disc brake kit. There are a couple of Ford flange styles, but I used the one that accepted the common Ford Motorsport Explorer disc kit with the internal parking brake.

The set up worked great except the guy that narrowed it screwed up the carrier bearing alignment and it would wear the carrier bearings oval in 100 miles.

Now I have a 9" Ford out of a truck and I wish I didn't. It weighs a ton, It's hard to get gears that are quiet, It's less efficient and the rear of the housing is so deep, it moves the rear wheels forward to clear the gas tank and it's expensive. I wish I stayed with the AMC or maybe a Chrysler 8-3/4 or Ford 8.8.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic