TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Name That Tune?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2014 at 1:36am

"RU-GLYDE"....thumbs up or down??

Today, I did a visual inspection of most of the rubber bushing/grommets I could see on the Javelin front end suspension. From what I could see, they all looked to be in decent shape.
Later, I went to the local Napa store and one of the counterman recommended that I try a product called "Ru-Glyde" for the squeaking noise on the Javelin. Although it was labeled for use as a tire mounting lubricant, the counterman said it was great for all rubber. It was sold in a gallon container, and I bought a universal plastic spray bottle and I sprayed all the rubber grommets and bushings I could see, and the squeaking noise has stopped. This may only be a temporary fix, but for now the squeaks are gone. Has anyone ever used "Ru-Glyde?"
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2014 at 4:34pm
With the Ru-Glyde throughly sprayed on all rubber components, most of the squeaks have stopped, but as I was inspecting some of the rubber grommets,
I notice that the lower rubbers on the sway bar end bushings are in bad shape.
When I move the car up/down, or turn the steering wheel, I can see that the lower rubbers are cracked and not in good shape.
I am going to replace these, but they are not the cause of the squeaking.

Edited by dltowers - Jul/20/2014 at 10:30pm
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2014 at 4:44pm
Dickie, that looks like one of the stabilizer bar (sway bar) links. Most auto parts stores carry the bushing in both the original rubber or in polyurethane.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
greasygt III View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greasygt III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2014 at 4:44pm
    Those are sway bar end link connectors. Available at most parts stores.

Edited by greasygt III - Jul/20/2014 at 4:48pm
83 Spirit GT
79 Ranchero GT 460
greasygt III View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greasygt III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2014 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by rocklandrambler rocklandrambler wrote:

Dickie, that looks like one of the stabilizer bar (sway bar) links. Most auto parts stores carry the bushing in both the original rubber or in polyurethane.

You have faster fingers than me.
83 Spirit GT
79 Ranchero GT 460
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2014 at 5:10pm
FYI,  There was a service bulletin for the 70 later suspension where the little block off plate on the outside of the front wheel well could rub against a shock or the edge of the spring casing a creak or grinding noise.  I had that occasional grinding noise on my 73 Javelin but finally figured it out.  I happens when the suspension is loaded on one side or the other.  My noise was on the driver side.  I forget what the factory fix was, but I never fixed it before I sold the car.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2014 at 4:31pm
Compardes...."THE BEFOREMENTION SQUEAKING SOUND" has vanished on the ol Javelin.
As suggested, I did spray silicone on several joints, and this must of helped, because after driving the Javelin a couple hundred miles, it seems that all the squeaks are gone from the front end.
Maybe because the Javelin had sit for nearly 2 years, and now that it is being driven and the suspension exercised, the rubber bushings are not as stiff. Thanks for all the feedback/suggestions, but I believe this....
"CASE IS CLOSEDThumbs Up"....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic