TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My t56 6 speed install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My t56 6 speed install
    Posted: Mar/12/2008 at 4:29pm
There has been a few people ask about the t56 I have in my car.
I installed it into a 74 AMX
It is a Viper spec t56 6 speed, double over drive.
specs:

650 lb-ft Torque Capacity
1.125 x 26T GM Input Spline
30T Viper Output Spline
Close Ratio w/ Deep Overdrives(2.66/1.78/1.30/1.00/.80/.62)

I used a t56 that was built to retrofit the early Chevy 60's and 70's model cars.
That said, I believe the later Ls1's and the viper tran's can be install Maybe.
I haven't been able to get my hand on them tran's . There are a couple things
that will be different ,The shifter location and the speedometer drive.
Thats all I can say about them,but the install should be about the same.
I did not have to cut the trans tunnel to make it fit, you will have to cut a hole for you shifter,make a trans cross member,drive shaft,etc
the normal things you would have to do when you do a trans swap.
I used all my stock clutch linage. no mods.

Parts needed.

You are going to need a clutch disk with a 26 spline hub that will fit your pressure plate.
This is the one I used CTF-384161 Centerforce Performance Clutch Discs

THROWOUT BEARING- this is the one I used- Hays 70-230, Note
I did not use the front bearing retainer that came with the adapter plate, which is a t5 front bearing retainer cut down to fit a Chevy throwout bearing.
I used the cut down front bearing retainer off the t5 I removed from the car, That allowed me to use stock AMC throwout bearing and bell housing to keep it as simple as possible.

pilot bushing-This is the one I used-#A6932S from http://www.novak-adapt.com/index.htm
There is a lot of good info at the Novak site.
This pilot bushing fits the outer step in the 72 up cranks and has a Chevy ID pilot hole.

And the Adapter Plate

You can find them on eBay,summit,etc.
(Quote)
Billet Steel T56 Mounting Adapter Plate

Plate will allow you to remove a Muncie, T10, Saginaw or T5 transmission, mount a T56 transmission (LS1 or Viper) and retain the use of your original bell housing and clutch linkage. An LT1       may also be used, but the input shaft must be changed to the longer LS1 input.
      Plate has dual bolt patterns, allowing you to mount transmission straight up or at 17 degrees, as needed for Camaro and Firebird applications.
      Plate comes with all mounting hardware to mount plate to tran's and bell housing.
      Fits many GM applications, Chevrolet, Chevelle, Camaro, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, and many other GM models.

I used my stock AMC shallow t5 bell housing (because my Lakewood bell was back ordered) So I had to drill the adapter plate to bolt to the bell.
If you use the Lakewood bell, The adapter is a bolt on.
If you use the Lakewood bell with a ford t5 retainer, You will have to fit the retainer to the hole in the bell,to use the AMC throwout bearing.
If you use the retainer that comes with the adapter plate it should fit, but you will have to figure the throwout bearing and maybe the clutch arm to use.Novak can probable help here.

If I missed anything let me know.

I hope this helps.

Retainers  modified t5 retainer for AMC bell,left and modified t5 on right that came with adapter plate, that should fit Lakewood bell. and chevy throwout bearing.

Adapter plate

t5 and t56 side by side

bell housing bolted on

bell housing and adapter in car

trans in car

Edited by needafasterAMX - Jun/07/2010 at 8:29am
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
XJ-001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ-001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2008 at 12:24am
Looks like a very nice conversion. Any pics of where the shifter is located inside the car?
1970 AMX 390 4spd

1970 Javelin 390 Auto (Project)

2002 Grand Cherokee Overland Edition

2002 Olds Intrigue (The Other Orphan)

Bloomington, MN
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2008 at 12:38am
right here

http://theamcforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3299
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
BLAZE57 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLAZE57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2009 at 2:02pm
Hi faster AMX im putting a t56 in my 57 chevy now and i was trying to hook up the reverse lights. do you know how to hook up the the reverse lockout to turn on the lights? also i noticed your exhaust crossover is right under the tail shaft of the trans. when i put my exhaust on they said to keep the crossover pipe at least 6 inches from the tailshaft maybe for heat reasons. you might want to check into that. thanks
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2009 at 4:58pm
Nice swap!
What did you use for a tranny mount??
Is the .50 OD usable??
How does it shift??
Does this trans have provisions for a mechanical speedo, or are you using an electric??
What's the tranny cost??
Did you have any problems with crank runout, with the adapter plate & bellhousing??

What I really like about your swap is that you didn't have to slice the top of the tunnel off like on a TKO 500 or 600 swap.
smills61074 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smills61074 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2012 at 8:54pm
I am looking at doing a 5 or 6 speed swap into my 68 AMX.  The picture you have with them side by side makes it look doable.  I assume the major cost will be the trans, clutch, and bellhousing.  Where did you get your parts from?  Let me know, if you have any other pointers.
Thanks Scott
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2014 at 7:06am
Let's bump this thread up just to get them grouped together for a while and maybe get some more advice or kick some life back into this thread too.

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2014 at 9:22pm
That 0.62 OD should be about right with the 3.73 rear axle, but I'd think it is only usable at high speed (80+!!) with the 3.15 gears. With a 26" diameter tire the engine would only be turning 2000 rpm at 80 mph -- you'd better have a good torque cam in it!

With 3.73 gears and 26" tire the car would run 67 mph @ 2000 rpm. Running about 70 @ 2000 rpm (67 is close enough!) is probably as high as you want to go in sixth gear. It would be running 84 mph @ 2500 rpm. Unless you're building a land speed record car where are you going to cruise over 80 mph? It would do 100 mph @ 3000 rpm!!
Frank Swygert
smills61074 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smills61074 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2014 at 8:38pm
Go for the 6 speed.  I can shift my Caddy CTS V (LS 2) into 6th at 40 mph, without lugging it.  The car has 3:73 gears.  If your motor has enough torque, it should pull your car at 60 mph no problem with higher gears.  5th and 6th overdrive is nice.  Low gear in the 6 speed is so low, with 3:73's, that wheel hop is a problem.  Wish I had higher rear gears.  I  can pull down 27mpg with 400 hp.  With higher gears, I think I would hit 30 mpg.          
68 Blue AMX Perfect California Body going for 401/6 speed
1 1/4 ton Power Wagon Ex Colorado Brush Truck
2006 Caddy CTS V with LS2 and manual trans Corsa Exhaust Beater car (daily driver)
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2014 at 12:49pm
A torquey engine will pull a high gear, but it may be working hard enough to kill gas mileage instead of helping. I initially ran a 3.08 axle with my 4.0L/AW4 setup. When I went to a 3.55 axle I gained 2 mpg in combined city/highway driving. Probably helped most at low speeds since the engine didn't have to work as hard to get the car moving. I was turning under 2000 rpm cruising at 70 (just under... something like 1850-1900 rpm). The engine pulled the car along with no complaints, but it was working harder doing it and burned a bit more gas. Think of OD as giving you more lower gears instead of higher. The engine still needs to cruise in its best torque band. Lower gears mean it does less work getting it moving, and more gears mean you can stay in the best torque band more often.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic