TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My "new" 72 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 34>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2017 at 12:08pm
I like it!!!!! I vote for a paint touch up and not a repaint. Those guys that do bumper corners etc for car lots can do magic on those spots and the car is still 90% original!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2017 at 1:13pm

Tony, if you find a guy who can touch up your truck and trailer, he's the guy I want to use. Wink
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2017 at 11:14pm
I have one! LOL
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 11:33pm

The original steering wheel needs a repaint, and it's the skinny rimmed base wheel from 1972.  I really don't care for it.  

I remembered that a 3-spoke sport wheel had come in a bunch of spares when I bought my '69 AMX, but it was in bad shape, and even worse after I left it outside for a year or so.  The hub was rusted and the rim had cracks in it. The spokes were in good shape though, so I soaked it in Evaporust for a day, after first ensuring that Evaporust wouldn't hurt the aluminum spokes. It didn't, and the way it removed the rust was pretty amazing.  I didn't take before and after photos of the hub, but you can get an idea of what the rim was like from this photo.

I thought about getting a leather wrap on it, but that looked like $250-350 proposition, so I decided to see if I could do anything to fix it myself first.  I figured I had nothing to lose, and could always wrap it later if I screwed it up.

I've had pretty good luck in the past repairing the dash pad on my AMX with this stuff called Padded Dash Filler from a company called Urethane Supply. It's a two-part talc-based filler that stays fairly flexible, so I thought it might work on the rubber rim to fill in the cracks.

To blend the repaired areas with the original, I decided to spray the rim with a spray rubber coating called "Leak Seal" made by Rustoleum.  This is similar to the "as seen on TV" stuff that they spray on a boat with a screen door bottom. It's used to patch rain gutters, etc. and it's thick enough to mask minor imperfections in the rim.  I chose the Rustoleum brand because it claims to be paintable.

The results weren't bad.  I found by standing a foot or two away with the spray can I got a nice textured finish that looks sort of like suede.

I then covered that with about three coats of SEM Color Coat vinyl spray paint.  Considering what I started with, I'm happy with the results. Not show car quality, but it makes a nice impression for a driver.  It's pliable, seems durable enough, but time will tell.  Leather wrap is still an option if it doesn't hold up, though I'd probably do better to just to find a nice used wheel if I have to.

Edited by CamJam - Jul/22/2017 at 6:54am

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 12:53am
Nothing wrong with that Cam!

Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 6:20am
That wheel looks great, Cam. I'd like to do something like that for my car. What about the passenger grab handle, is yours OK? Mines ripped in the middle. I was thinking of having it done in leather, or something that doesn't rip easily. Nice work.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 6:28am
Originally posted by Shannock Shannock wrote:

That wheel looks great, Cam. I'd like to do something like that for my car. What about the passenger grab handle, is yours OK? Mines ripped in the middle. I was thinking of having it done in leather, or something that doesn't rip easily. Nice work.

Thanks. My grab handle is ripped too. It's one of the things on my Kenosha swap meet shopping list.

amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 6:37am
just sold a NICE one . one very very tiny small pin dot of a crack on the lower side of the stitch in the middle other than that one very nice Grab handle 
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2017 at 7:17am
Hi, great work on the steering wheel. I think you and I both feel the same about judging our own work.

Maybe you need to set it aside and come back to it with a fresh mind.

As for the grab handle. I have mine still, and it has a crack in the center. I cleaned off the goo that was used to mend by the original owner, and will be doing a repair. I may pull it out and post what I do with it

As for having it done in leather, that can be done as well.

The odd thing about the handles is that the bi color does not match anything as for appearance.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2017 at 2:04pm

Back from Kenosha and have been painting the interior pieces I picked up there and in Gettysburg.  Here's a before and after of the driver's door panel.  I sure think it looks better without the P.O.'s upholstery job on the lower half of the door.

The color is SEM 15173 (Camel), which is very close to the original peanut butter color.  It's just a tad lighter, but when I compared the cost of using the off-the-shelf color with a custom mix I decided it wasn't worth the extra expense.  

Finished both door panels today, but the rear seat panels are upholstered the same way, so they'll have to go as well.  I'm itching to get started on the dash though, so the rear seat panels will have to wait.

Got the horn button painted on the steering wheel too. Not too bad for what I thought was a junk steering wheel.

Edited by CamJam - Aug/08/2017 at 11:55pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 34>
  Share Topic