TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My "new" 72 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 34>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2017 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by asifnyc asifnyc wrote:

there's finally a minilite knock-off that's cheaper than team III....

Rota RKRs in 15", 17" or 18"...  I just put a set of matte black 17x8 (front), 17x9.5 rears on my '73 amx.

the 9.5 rear offset they offer is not good for a humpster with a stock amc 20 rear.  I got a custom offset of -10 but you really want more like +4...

17x8 all around would work good.  I'm running 255's all around now but at some point will get a narrower rear so I can put a 275+ rear tire on the 9.5 rear rim.

Not bad, though the only thing I don't like about them is the odd lug hole cutouts on the spokes. The more expensive ones make the spokes not as long so there is no cutouts on the ends of some spokes, amd it gives the mini lite look with optional center cap.

I guess I am a bit harder to please on that. But all in all pretty good find.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2017 at 3:52pm
Really nice find, Asif!! I take it you're not running a stock AMC-20 rear then?
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2017 at 9:56am
Here's another option. Not bad on the price, and they're only 40 miles from me! Spokes are shorter than the Rotas so the lug holes look better.

VTO Classic 8 Wheels

Would the 4.4" backspace work for the Javelin?

Update:  Spoke to Tom at VTO and they have both 15 x 7" and 15 x 8" now.  It won't take much more than a set of these wheels and a repaint to make this car look stunning. Santa might come early this year!

Here's their new web site:

Edited by CamJam - Jun/28/2017 at 1:11pm

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2017 at 4:22pm

Back on the Javelin now that I'm back from Gettysburg.  Before I left I replaced the master cylinder and rebuilt the carb.  The car was still stalling out occasionally and hard to start after sitting, so I replaced the fuel pump yesterday.  No improvement, and the fuel filters were ok, so I started at the gas tank suspecting a fuel pick-up problem or clogged sock.  Didn't take me long to see that the rubber gas line was cracked between the metal fuel line and the gas tank, so it was sucking air.  

Starts and runs without stalling out now, but I still sense a slight miss at idle. Pulling the plugs one at a time told me it was the #8 cylinder, so I replaced the plug and plug wire on that cylinder.  No change. Compression on all cylinders is between 110 and 115 (seems low to me but this is the first year of the low compression engines and I am at 3,400 feet elevation on a 100+ degree day).  Leak down test on the cylinder showed only 8% loss, so I think I can rule out a major problem.  Sprayed some carb cleaner around the intake manifold looking for a vacuum leak too, but haven't turned up anything so far. Time to look at all the vacuum lines and compare them to the FSM.  This car has had some redneck engineering from a previous owner, so nothing would surprise me.

Was planning to replace the pan gasket on the 998 tranny today, but when I looked closer I realized that it's leaking higher up, at the shifter linkage and elsewhere, so will probably need to pull the tranny and do all the seals.  At some point I'll probably want to pull the engine to repaint the engine bay, so maybe it makes sense to pull the engine and transmission at the the same time.  Disapprove

And so it goes with old cars.  For now I'm just trying to get the car mechanically sound before I start in on the cosmetics, however I found that SEM Color Coat comes in a pre-mixed color called "Camel" that is perfect for the interior repaint.  It looks like peanut butter, same as the original, but is just a tad brighter. Some people like Skippy and some like Jif.  I bought all the interior pieces I need in Gettysburg (thanks Scott!) but will just set them to the side for now.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2017 at 4:38pm
Your interior color sounds similar to the 73 tan interior. The dash pad was almost a skippy color (Not as dark) the doors probably at one time may have matched a bit better fresh from the factory, but different material being molded in color looked lighter, as with the console.

To me both of my Javelins seemed to have at least a two tone looking interior.

As for the #8 plug not firing well. It may be rotor, cap, or lobes that drive the points. I have seen some lobes when sat way too long, have a hard build up along the flat spot where it sat. I would take a careful look over to make sure its clean, and opens the correct distance with your points about .016, with all 8 lobes to make sure that nothing is wrong and can be overlooked. Be careful not to loose too much points lube on the wiper, else you'you'll wear it out and possibly damage your lobes to the distributor.

Edited by 304-dude - Jun/29/2017 at 5:05pm
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2017 at 5:01pm
Cam, when you get to redoing your interior plastic pieces, take a look in the Body/Interior section. I did a write up on using SEM products as well as NAPA specialty color matched paint for the interior plastic on my Spirit. Those posts are by far not the only way to paint pieces, but it's information I've found from searching online and I think the results I achieved look pretty good. 
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2017 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Your interior color sounds similar to the 73 tan interior. The dash pad was almost a skippy color (Not as dark) the doors probably at one time may have matched a bit better fresh from the factory, but different material being molded in color looked lighter, as with the console.

To me both of my Javelins seemed to have at least a two tone looking interior.

As for the #8 plug not firing well. It may be rotor, cap, or lobes that drive the points. I have seen some lobes when sat way too long, have a hard build up along the flat spot where it sat. I would take a careful look over to make sure its clean, and opens the correct distance with your points about .016, with all 8 lobes to make sure that nothing is wrong and can be overlooked. Be careful not to loose too much points lube on the wiper, else you'you'll wear it out and possibly damage your lobes to the distributor.

Good tip about the distributor lobes. I did replace the cap and rotor already. I need to pull the plug again and see if it's firing. Not sure why I didn't do that already.

scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2017 at 5:52pm
On the 70 & 71 V8's I am most familiar with, there is a vacuum tap in the top of the #8 intake manifold runner. I've has a rubber line running to that tap crack & cause a miss on that cylinder.

I can see how this is going to go Cam. "I'm just going to pull the trans & reseal it". Next thing we know the Javelin will look as amazing as your AMX!
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2017 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

On the 70 & 71 V8's I am most familiar with, there is a vacuum tap in the top of the #8 intake manifold runner. I've has a rubber line running to that tap crack & cause a miss on that cylinder.

I can see how this is going to go Cam. "I'm just going to pull the trans & reseal it". Next thing we know the Javelin will look as amazing as your AMX!

That's a great tip, Scott! I'll check it out.

I do get obsessed with these damn things. "I just want a driver" really means "get out the wallet!"

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2017 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

That's a great tip, Scott! I'll check it out.

I do get obsessed with these damn things. "I just want a driver" really means "get out the wallet!"

That is so true... for me I dont mess with old vacuum lines, heater hoses, belts, and other consumables that are obviously been around.

I sort of expect others to do such things when they say they are getting it up and running and soon will be driving and enjoying it.

My 73 Javelin cost me a bit of money as soon as I got 2 miles down the road. Did not realise E ment empty. Ha! 😆 luckly I had money and a follower to take me to the station. Then a simple oil leak at the timing cover ended up with the mechanic not aligning it properly or something, to end up eating distributor gear. Neadless to say after a bit of time I realised I could have saved half of the money spent if I just done some upkeep on unknown milage parts that do fail after time.

On the other hand... my 71 had a lot of recently replaced stuff, minus the belts, hoses, and vacuum lines. Though the carb was clean, it needed a rebuild, as it never got much use with city gas being 10% ethanol.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 34>
  Share Topic