TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My "new" 72 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 34>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2017 at 8:37am
My vote is for the shiny red Cam, let it dull naturally! Degrease and clean the engine bay and then paint the engine. Worked good on the poomobile when I had it. 

Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2017 at 3:29pm
Hey Cam,

I am chopping up a 72 Javelin body & have long sections of the drip rail that are not rusted out. If you would like a piece, let me know & I will get some sent out to you.  
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2017 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Hey Cam,

I am chopping up a 72 Javelin body & have long sections of the drip rail that are not rusted out. If you would like a piece, let me know & I will get some sent out to you.  

Scott wait on how you cut it. There are spot welds long the under side that will release the drip rail.

CamJam needs to carefully check how much damage is on the roof line and may need under side metal roof structure.

I have damage on my front corner drip rail, and rust is not shown without digging deeper.

I would advise CamJam having a body man scan for rust long the roof frame to see how deep it has traveled and give info on what needs to be done. It is a bummer as it would be something to be done than put it off.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2017 at 5:20pm

Thanks for the kind offer, Scott!!  As they say where I come from, you're a bloody good bloke!  

The metal where it's spot welded looks ok... it's just the part that was under the trim that was rusted, but I'm meeting with the guy who will be doing the repair for me tomorrow, and then I will have a better idea where he wants to cut it.  My guess is he'd want to cut it right against the roof edge, but I'll let him tell me.

Thanks again to both of you for your help!
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2017 at 5:25pm
Cam, I can cut a chunk a foot or two long, back into the roof 4-5". That should give you plenty of material to work with. Better to have too much metal than not enough. See what your metal man wants though. I can cut it over the weekend & ship it on Monday. I could send you the whole roof, but I don't think it would fit in your mail box.....
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2017 at 5:47pm
Scott, the bad section of drip rail is 4.5" long, but perhaps he'll just want to go all the way to the end of the rail rather than section it in, so that would make it 7" long.

I don't think you need to go 4 or 5 inches back into the roof as the roof itself looks fine. An inch or so into the roof should give him plenty to work with.

Geez... what a great bunch of guys we've got on this forum!

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2017 at 6:04pm

Sprayed epoxy primer on the roof today.  As it's been breezy here the last couple days I started early so I could get done before the wind came up.  I got the car masked off, paint mixed and was waiting the required 15 minutes after adding the hardener to begin painting.  Of course, while I'm waiting a gust comes up and threatens to tear all the plastic and paper mask off the car.  Got it taped down again, and the breeze cooperated to be good enough for a base coat that will be covered by a vinyl roof. I'm sure glad I wasn't trying to paint a finish coat though!

Gives me an idea what the car would like like with a black vinyl top.  Not too bad, but I'm still going with the tan.  This Baja Bronze color looks like copper in the sun-- in which case a black roof looks great-- but in the shade the combination looks bland.

The engine compartment's already looking a lot better.  I still have to disconnect the harness and give the firewall and sides a good degreasing, but just reaching between the wires with a rag I've managed to make it look lots better. Painting the valve covers, intake, air cleaner, a/c compressor, p/s pump and some new decals helped too.  The wiper motor is still pretty nasty looking though.

I doubt that the red oil cap is correct, but it's the color I had in my hand at the time.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2017 at 9:31pm

What? More engine photos?? 

Well, yes, and if you were thinking I'm not "restoring" my car so much as "detailing" it, you wouldn't be wrong.  My '69 AMX was a rotisserie restoration, and I still have the bills to prove it, lol.  This time though, I started with a car in much better shape, and a lot of what it needs is just cleaning and touch up.  My first job was as a lot boy at a used car lot, so I guess this car was meant for me. 

I continued on the engine bay yesterday and today, pulling the harness back and repainting the passenger side of the engine bay.  It looked like maybe battery acid has splashed on the passenger side shock tower at some point, so I sanded it down, removed the battery tray (which I'd installed just a few weeks ago) and sanded/repainted underneath and fixed some wiring issues at the starter relay.  

I also removed all the relays and voltage regulator and wire brushed and repainted them, including the wiper motor which I gave a faux anodized finish (metallic gold paint) without removing it from the car. 

That took about an hour of masking, but I'm very pleased with how it turned out.  Of course, now the passenger's side looks better than the driver's side-- though the driver's side wasn't as bad-- but that will be for another day.  Same with the firewall and front of the engine.  

Yes, this was a red-engined California car originally. I didn't change the color. 

Here's what I started with:

New a/c hoses, condenser and drier are coming, assuming I can get the fellow I'm buying them from to answer his PMs. 

Edited by CamJam - Sep/24/2017 at 9:12am

23baseball3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2017 at 11:29am
That looks fantastic! Hoping my car can look like that someday!
1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed AC
2005 Volvo V70R
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2017 at 11:56am
Presented with that older stuff that AC connection looks so old and ugly. Everything else in here looks like a jewel and that one rusted line stands out. Confused The new stuff looks 100%.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 34>
  Share Topic