TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My "new" 72 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 34>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2020 at 10:26pm
Thanks Buster!  Are you going to bring your Javelin out to the AMO National next year? Would love to see it.

Here's a better photo of the new setup  I can't drive it yet though as my new brake hoses don't get here until tomorrow.  The Bendix sliding caliper use a 7/16" fitting while the previous drums were 3/8". Otherwise, it's basically the same hose.  

The outer pad rubs ever so slightly on the hub.  I think the answer is to bend the tabs at the top of the pad down just a little, which will raise the pad a hair.  Most of the drawings I've seen show the outer pad with a curve at the bottom, which would keep this from happening, but the old outer pads that came out of the calipers were straight on the bottom too so I must have the right pads. Seems a bit odd though.  In these days of Chinese outsourcing though it seems you never know what you're getting.

EDIT:  I see some of the Mopar guys have had similar problems with aftermarket rotors. Apparently the hubs are sometimes machined a little wider than the originals, though I haven't compared my new ones to the old yet. In any case, the easy fix is just to grind a little from the pad backing plate where it rubs.

Edited by CamJam - Jan/19/2020 at 9:20am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2020 at 11:13am
I've been investigating my brake pads rubbing against the hub of the rotor and found that the new pads are off by about 1/4" in nearly every dimension.  I bought them from AutoZone because they were advertised on their web site as "ceramic".  They're not.  The outside of the box is marked "organic". And they don't fit.  Nothing a BFH and a grinder won't fix, but if you need new pads you might want to look elsewhere.

The good news is the O'Reilly's calipers (probably Chinese as well) seem to be the same dimensions as the originals.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2020 at 11:16am
Those are Ford style calipers so you should be able to find ceramic pads for a Ford for them.

I looked up calipers and pads for a 79 Thunderbird and they look the same but I'm not sure of the size but they list several ceramic pads for those and the outer pad is curved like they should be. If you can figure out what the Ford cross reference is, you should be able to find the proper set of pads. One good thing AMC did is buy a lot of off the shelf parts so all we have to do is find the cross reference to the more popular version. Wink

Edited by Mopar_guy - Jan/19/2020 at 11:25am

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2020 at 5:04pm
Well, friggin' O'Reillys dropped the ball and my brake hoses didn't arrive today. And they wonder why Amazon is stealing their business! Overpriced Chinese crap, what they stock locally is pitiful, and even then they can't deliver it when they say they will.

So my car sits, until Tuesday at least… finished except for the hoses. Ouch

Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2020 at 9:05pm
Cam there is nothing I would like more, but it looks like work is going to get in the way. My wife really wants to go  she has been insisting we make the trip. I haven't made any reservations yet but  I probably should  in case I can make it. She would like to make an extended trip out of it and stop in see some relatives on the way in Iowa. Time will tell.

B.P.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2020 at 12:59pm

Got the rear diff out of the car and into the back of the Focus for the trip to Dan Curtis' shop in Phoenix.  I'm having them put new pinion, carrier and wheel bearings/seals and one-piece axles in before the drive to the AMO National at Colorado Springs in June.

In the meantime, I'm putting new bushings in the leaf springs and cleaning and painting everything at the back of the car.  My new air chisel made short work of the front bushing casings...or at least one of them,  The first one I had to beat on with a sledge hammer and chisel for about an hour before I got it out. I decided then that there had to be a better way and bought the air chisel.  Best $20 I've spent in awhile.

I already got the front end looking decent last year (with the exception of  the engine crossmember) when I rebuilt the front suspension, and I just keeping working away on the rest of the car a little at a time.  This is much more fun than when I did the full rotisserie restoration of my BBO AMX, as I can work on it as time allows and I get to drive it in-between.  Also, since this car is a driver I'm not being so anal about making sure that everything is 100% factory correct with date codes, proper markings, NOS  etc.

Not quite sure how to deal with the gas tank yet.  It's in good shape except for surface rust.  I tried some aluminum paint on a portion of it and it just looks too fake for my liking.  Undercoating will cover a lot of ills, but still I want the parts that show to look good.  It might just be easier to pull the gas tank and do it right.

Edited by CamJam - Mar/02/2020 at 6:17pm

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2020 at 7:46pm

The diff is back from AZ AMC Restorations with new bearings, seals and single piece axles.  I spent today painting it and it's back in the car. Tomorrow I'll do the rear brakes and it'll be already for the drive to the Colorado Springs AMO National.  Of course, the AMO National isn't happening now, but we'll be ready!

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2020 at 11:10pm

Got the brakes done just as the sun was setting.  Everything went fine until I went to put the wheels back on, and the studs on the Dr. Diff axles are too long for the cap-type lug nuts of my Minilites. They bottom out before the wheel is snug.  The studs screw in from the back side, and I doubt there is enough clearance between the flange and the backing plate to change them.  I'm thinking I might have to cut them down, which will be a bit of a pain.  I'll take the wheels back off and check it out in the morning.

I didn't get a chance to drive the car yet because of this problem, but a quick check of the run out with the car up on jacks tells me that the wobble I had previously from a bent hub or axle is gone, and the diff sounds nice and quiet.  Hopefully there won't be any vibrations at speed.

Little by little the undercarriage is looking better.  The biggie left to do is the engine crossmember.  I'll probably have to support the engine and drop the crossmember to do it right, but that's a few weeks down the road yet.  Susan's Prius needs some bodywork and paint first, and if the weeds in the front yard get any bigger I'm going to need a whip and a chair to tame them.

Edited by CamJam - Apr/04/2020 at 11:15pm

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2020 at 11:16pm
Hey Cam, by the looks of that picture, you have the shoes on backwards. The shoe with the longer lining on it always goes on the back side of the axle. The shorter lining goes towards the front. Double check it as it might be an optical illusion in the picture that the one on the front looks longer than the rear to me. Wink

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2020 at 12:29am
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Hey Cam, by the looks of that picture, you have the shoes on backwards. The shoe with the longer lining on it always goes on the back side of the axle. The shorter lining goes towards the front. Double check it as it might be an optical illusion in the picture that the one on the front looks longer than the rear to me. Wink

Actually, it is a bit of an optical illusion.  The lining is the same length on both front and back.  I know that's not how it's supposed to be, but that's the way these shoes came.  They were new-in-box in a bunch of spares that came with my '69 AMX, so I decided to use them up. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 34>
  Share Topic