TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My "new" 72 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 34>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 6:35pm
I am 100% in favor of the experienced glass shop route.

About 3 weeks after install my windshield developed a stress crack. They replaced it no questions asked.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 10:57pm
Pertronix is in and the car is running great.

Pulled the dash pad and instrument cluster again to fix the noisy speedometer cable and install some LEDs.  The '72 Javelin has a 2-position dash light dimmer.  The green 100 lumen LEDs I got are a little too bright on the high setting, but they're just about right on the low position.  For anyone else trying this, I'd suggest sourcing LEDs that are about 70-75 lumens, which should be useful in both the high and low dimmer switch settings.  Note that later Javelins used a variable rheostat for the dimmer switch.  Not sure how LEDs would work with that.

With the rebuilt front-end, new seat foam and upholstery, new transmission, close ratio Jeep steering gear, stereo, brighter headlights and dash lights, the Javelin is now quite the highway cruiser.  The upcoming 4.5 hour trip to Las Vegas for the AMC reunion will be a lot nicer than it otherwise would have been.

Edited by CamJam - Oct/19/2018 at 11:00pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 4:29am
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Pertronix is in and the car is running great.

Pulled the dash pad and instrument cluster again to fix the noisy speedometer cable and install some LEDs.  The '72 Javelin has a 2-position dash light dimmer.  The green 100 lumen LEDs I got are a little too bright on the high setting, but they're just about right on the low position.  For anyone else trying this, I'd suggest sourcing LEDs that are about 70-75 lumens, which should be useful in both the high and low dimmer switch settings.  Note that later Javelins used a variable rheostat for the dimmer switch.  Not sure how LEDs would work with that.

With the rebuilt front-end, new seat foam and upholstery, new transmission, close ratio Jeep steering gear, stereo, brighter headlights and dash lights, the Javelin is now quite the highway cruiser.  The upcoming 4.5 hour trip to Las Vegas for the AMC reunion will be a lot nicer than it otherwise would have been.

Camjam, later on during the winter, I should be around to do my hobbiest voltage to frequency module upgrade to my wiring. Should convert any led to function in pulse width modulation. So adjusting difficult to dim leds can be done. Though it's dependant on how well you match panel leds to indicator leds.

It may help with your adjustments without need to buy other led kits.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2018 at 5:21pm
Got the dash and headlights done in time to drive the Javvy up to the Las Vegas AMC Reunion, which was about 600 miles round trip.  As I'd never taken a trip in this car longer than 25 miles or so, it was a bit of a leap of faith, but I felt like the car was mechanically sound.  I'm pleased to report that I made it there and back without any issues, and managed 17.2 mpg average for the trip, at mostly 70-75 mph.

We also managed to get a first place trophy, but since there were only two of us in the 71-74 Javelin class I can't really claim that it was a great feat.  Still, it's better than being 2nd in a class of two!

I was feeling pretty confident with how the car was running, so picked a route that took me through some of the most remote parts of Arizona for at least part of the way.  This runs near the town of Bagdad, AZ, which owes its entire existence to the copper mine there.  It's a long stretch of windy road with hardly any traffic, some of it quite mountainous, with few places to pull out if you have a mechanical problem.  Fortunately, they weren't needed except for a few photo opportunities.  

When I installed the transmission a couple months back I had done a home-brew drive shaft balancing job with hose clamps.  It worked fine for the most part, but at speeds above 75 mph I could feel some vibration, so when I got home I pulled the driveshaft and took it down to Phoenix to be balanced.  I'd marked the locations of my hose clamps before I removed them, and was surprised how close I had come to where the driveshaft shop added the weights.  That little bit was enough to make a difference though.  I took a test run this morning up to about 90 mph and there's now no vibration at all!

The O/D transmission sure made the Interstate portions of the trip more enjoyable.  Our Interstate speed limit here is 75 mph most of the time, which means people drive 85 and 90 mph.  The Kias and Hyundais were still blowing by me, but not because I couldn't keep up. I was simply taking my time and enjoying the trip.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2018 at 5:55pm
Great to see you have an enjoyable trip and time at the show. Isn't that ProstockAMX's Hemi Javelin next to your car... looks like he had to do some body work on the front?

Something not part of your comments... though part of your past comments. There was a picture you posted of your Javelin in the shade... your right, it (brown) doesn't look so good not in the sun. Good thing it was sunny. Hehehehehe!

PS, I got my pulse width modulator module in... will wire up a test run soon, to make the led cluster lights adjustable with the dimmer switch. Once I verify how well it works, I will add to your thread on what to do.

Probably have everything tested by late next week.

Edited by 304-dude - Nov/10/2018 at 5:58pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2020 at 9:03pm
It's been over a year since I last posted, but I still find plenty to keep me busy on Javvy.  Today's project was getting started on replacing the drum brakes with discs.  I bought the setup from a 77 or 78 Gremlin (or Hornet?) at Kenosha a couple years ago and vowed to make it a spare time project.  Actually, the old drums mostly worked fine, but they were going to need new shoes eventually and I had some time, so I decided I might as well make the swap.

77-78 are the big bearing single-caliper Bendix brakes.  I got the Raybestos rotors for $38 each at Rock Auto, which seems like somewhat of a bargain to me as they look to be high quality pieces, though I suspect made in China.  They came with the bearing races installed, but I opted to knock them out and use the races that came with the Timken bearings.  Calipers came from O'Reilly's for around $25 each.  They say they are re manufactured, but actually look to be new repop housings.  No Bendix name on them but they do have the Bendix part number.

I managed to get just one wheel done today, which included replacing the upper ball joint, but tomorrow will be easier now that have the races installed and I know how all the parts fit together.  I don't have a '77 TSM and there are some differences from the '72 Kelaey-Hayes setup, so I was shooting in the dark somewhat.  Fortunately, the spindles, brackets and spacer plates can really only go one way, though I didn't immediately realize that until the caliper bracket hit the lower control arm.  I resisted the temptation to take a BFH to it and sat down and eventually worked out what I was doing wrong.

I only have one dust shield, as the other was too rusted to save.  I know a lot of people don't bother with them, but AMC wasn't one to spend money unnecessarily so they must have felt that they were needed.  I'll only be running with one though until I can find another.

Here's a before and after of today's work.  I couldn't bear to put the old, dented cover back on the center of the hub, so I left it off and will pick up a couple new ones tomorrow.

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2020 at 11:20pm
don't forget the cotter pin and brake pads! :P

Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Ambassador
AMO#10333
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2020 at 12:43am
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

don't forget the cotter pin and brake pads! :P

Details, details! Wink  Actually, the cotter pin is there, but I gave up on the brake pads as it got dark and I was hungry and grumpy, not to be confused with my usual grouchy old man demeanor. LOL

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2020 at 8:45am
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah the dreaded "hangry".....
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Ambassador
AMO#10333
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2020 at 7:22pm
Looking great Cam!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 34>
  Share Topic