TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My "new" 72 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 34>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2018 at 9:35pm
Ha! Took a cruise to town this evening-- windows down-- just in time for a beautiful sunset!  Life is good!!
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

JolleyGreenSST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2018 at 12:28pm
Happy to hear you worked out all the bugs and you can enjoy the fruits of your labor !   
"God is good all the time and all the time God is good!"
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2018 at 11:12pm
Thank you, David.

Here's a 4 minute video I shot today at the request of someone on Facebook. It basically just shows the car going through the gears going up and down the hill outside my subdivision. I ran the volume up a little so you can hopefully hear it shifting.

There's a little GPS speedometer with a heads-up display showing on the windshield above the radio speaker.  It's kind of hard to see unless you run the video full-screen, but it might help give you some idea of the shift point speeds.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2018 at 10:16pm

Today I installed this headlight harness that I bought from E-Bay:

Yes, it's made in China, but I couldn't buy the wire alone for the $9.11 (including shipping) that it cost.  It includes a fuse and two relays, and installed with minimal fuss.  You simply plug the original headlight plugs into the sockets provided, then connect their plugs to your headlights.  You connect the 12V line directly to your car's battery, or as I did to the hot side of the starter relay.  The only modification I had to make was extend the 12V line by about by about a foot as it was a little short, and now my headlights are as bright as they probably were in 1972, which means a little dim by today's standards but much better than they have been recently. One of these days I might spring for some super-duper headlights, but the car seldom gets driven at night so I can't really justify the expense. 

I'm planning to drive the Javvy up to Las Vegas for the AMC Reunion in just about two weeks from now. It's 275 miles each way, and will be the first trip longer than about 25 miles that I've made in the car, so I'm making sure she's roadworthy.

I put new front brake hoses on a couple weeks ago, and that fixed a pull to one side that I had.

I also installed an aftermarket tach and found that there was no engine-to-crossmember ground strap. I'm not sure if the transmission shop failed to put it back on when they lowered the crossmember to replace the rear seal, or of it was removed by a P.O., but replacing it fixed some flickering of the headlights and interior lights that I had noticed recently.

The car had no thermostat when I bought it, and therefore no heat.  I bought a 180 degree thermostat and installed it the other day, but the heat is still meager. It took me a couple tries to get the thermostat housing to seal properly, so rather than try a 192 thermostat I'm tempted to leave it as is and block off a portion of the radiator if I run into some cold weather and need to build some heat. 

Tomorrow I'm installing a Pertronix points eliminator and having a new windshield installed.

Edited by CamJam - Oct/17/2018 at 10:28pm

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 4:06am
Donno, not that here is any issues with Chinese parts, just there seems to be a wee issue with power connection to the relays, which is to drive up to 6 amps to the bulbs. The thick looking red wire is a sheath to combine two separate hot wires to the relays, and to neaten things up a bit.

Good side of it, Halogen uses less current than standard bulbs for more brightness. So I would assume without checking the rating of your new headlights, they use no more than 5.5 AMPS when High beams are on.

Doesn't seem to much of a problem as all that needs to be done at the most is, cutting the small diameter eye for battery connection and to install a larger eye for mounting to the solenoid'S battery side terminal.

first, knowing your plan for connection, is to mount the relays for best placement, and then cut the power lead wires to shorten if needed for cleaner fit and function. Shortening the leads will assist in removing wire stress if the gauge of the wire is a limiting factor.

All in all you can't beat the price here at the stores, even at Walmart. Plus none of the off the shelf kits are made in the US. The parts are shipped from China and may be assembled Canada or South America / Mexico.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 8:43am
Never seen that before, i like it.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 9:13am
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Donno, not that here is any issues with Chinese parts, just there seems to be a wee issue with power connection to the relays, which is to drive up to 6 amps to the bulbs. The thick looking red wire is a sheath to combine two separate hot wires to the relays, and to neaten things up a bit.

You must have read my mind, James. The main wire to the battery appears to be 16 AWG. The Wagner H6024 I'm using draw 4.69 amps each on high beam, so I think the main wire to the battery should be at least 12 AWG. I don't feel the wire getting warm-- probably because I run low beam most of the time-- but to allow for constant high beams with minimal loss I think it would be good to replace this one wire with 12 AWG.

This harness is sized perfectly for the Javelin, but it would probably be too short for an Ambassador or Matty. I'm only guessing that their headlights are farther apart than the Javelin's?

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 9:22am
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

You must have read my mind, James. The main wire to the battery appears to be 16 AWG. The Wagner H6024 I'm using draw 4.69 amps each on high beam, so I think the main wire to the battery should be at least 12 AWG. I don't feel the wire getting warm-- probably because I run low beam most of the time-- but to allow for constant high beams with minimal loss I think it would be good to replace this one wire with 12 AWG.

This harness is sized perfectly for the Javelin, but it would probably be too short for an Ambassador or Matty. I'm only guessing that their headlights are farther apart than the Javelin's?

That could be so, about large bodies may be too wide apart.

If you can manage about 12", or less, with the battery lead to the relays, that will do just fine, but 14awg or 12awg would be fine if running back into the cabin.

Once you get it, you should see better on how it will work out for you.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
JolleyGreenSST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 12:58pm

Tomorrow I'm installing a Pertronix points eliminator and having a new windshield installed.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you getting your windshield from and how much is it going to cost? I need one as well.
"God is good all the time and all the time God is good!"
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by JolleyGreenSST JolleyGreenSST wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, where are you getting your windshield from and how much is it going to cost? I need one as well.

I got a U.S. made Pilkington windshield from a local glass shop for $319 installed.  I could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere, but been there, done that and it cost me more in the long run.  The guy I use now has been doing glass since our cars were built and understands what it takes.  The windshield I replaced was less than a year old, but it was cheap Chinese glass, and the previous installer set it too low in the channel so that there was a gap between the glass and the stainless steel trim.  Also, because the glass sat too far down, I couldn't put the clips in that hold the trim on.  I cracked the glass trying, which is why I had to replace it already.  The trim clips should be put in before the glass, and make sure your installer knows to fit the glass at the proper height.  My glass guy tells me that industry standards require urethane now, but he does butyl on old cars when requested. He also said when you use butyl to use 3M or you can end up with a sticky mess.

Edited by CamJam - Oct/18/2018 at 9:46pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 34>
  Share Topic