TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My "new" 72 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 34>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2018 at 8:49pm
Looking good Cam, And I think that's a great price for your bumper. Much cheaper than I paid.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2018 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Scene One Scene One wrote:

Looking good Cam, And I think that's a great price for your bumper. Much cheaper than I paid.

Thanks, Buster.

Today I got the Javelin in the garage with the AMX for the first time.  I've been storing a bunch of boxes of electronic parts in there so there has been room for only one car, but I just had a storage shed delivered.  For the first time in three years I've got a two car garage again!

Got some more stuff to clear out against the left wall, but it's a good start. 

'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2018 at 1:45pm
Cam, the cars look great together. I like the BBO AMX bumper guards. The black rubber really sets them off. I can't remember seeing that before. Thumbs Up
Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 10:05am

I've taken time off from the Javelin for awhile while I work on putting a T5 transmission into my Opel GT.  That's the T5 sitting on the garage floor next to the AMX.  I've got a few weeks now while my transmission adapter is being machined, so decided to get back to painting the Javelin.

If you've been following this thread you'll see in some of the earlier photos that I had some areas of bad paint.  I've determined that these were minor repairs that were made by a P.O. and cheaply done.  Some filler or guide coat had been used, and while the repairs themselves weren't bad, they seem to have painted directly over them without primer and the paint was flaking off.  I also had areas where a car cover had worn through the high points.  The sad part is, most of the original paint was in pretty good shape otherwise, so I hated to repaint over it.  

What I've been doing is repainting the car a section at a time.  The new paint blends pretty well with the old, so I've been concentrating on just painting the sections that need it.  If I continue this way, maybe eventually I'll have the whole car painted.

The hood had some dents that were going to be hard to fix. Luckily, a local party had a really nice hood from a '71 Javelin for sale at a reasonable price, so I decided to just buy it and repaint it as it only had one very minor dent on it.  I painted the underside last week, and yesterday primered the topside and the two fenders.  

I've finally got my paint and body skills to the point where I'm not embarrassed by my work, though I'm not anywhere near the capability of some on this forum who can weld panels seemingly at will repair and make it look like it left the Kenosha factory that way.  

So today, with temperature in the low '70s and a calm wind, I'm going to try top-coating the hood and front fenders. To me, painting is like making a good cup of coffee.  It can be elusive, but once you figure it out you can repeat it consistently if you buy quality materials and stick to the formula that works for you.  That said, I'm actually having better luck with a $15 Harbor Freight paint gun that with the $150 Sharpe/Finex gun I bought. Wacko

Edited by CamJam - Mar/20/2018 at 10:14am

bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 10:54am
Close the garage door...i see overspray on the bbo car... looks great! Keep up the good work!
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by bigbadgreen bigbadgreen wrote:

Close the garage door...i see overspray on the bbo car... looks great! Keep up the good work!

Ha!  You can bet I'm paranoid about that!  The door goes down as soon as the paint can gets opened!!

Anyway, had a good day painting.  Might have turned out a little too good this time, meaning the rest of the car will now look like crap, lol.

I've often suspected my paint was too thick at times, even though I was mixing it according to the paint manufacturer's tech sheet, so I invested in something called a Zahn cup for checking the viscosity of my paint.  It's basically just a cup with a hole in the bottom of it.  You fill the cup with paint and time how long it takes to drain with a stop watch.  Sure enough, the viscosity of the paint varies quite a bit depending on the ambient temperature, and the cup takes the guess work out of it.  The orange peel problems disappeared once I got the air pressure and viscosity dialed in. I've also gotten better at knowing how much paint to deliver.  At first I was putting on either too much or not enough.

I'll paint the hood tomorrow if the weather holds up, and then at least the front of the car will look good at next month's Cactus Classic, our annual AMC car show here in Arizona.

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 10:03pm
That looks really good Cam!

Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 10:16pm

Thanks, Tony.  I guess even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile. LOL

I've been using acrylic enamel, because I wanted the repainted areas to match the factory paint as close as possible.  Now that I realize I'll probably end up painting the whole car, I kind of wish I'd used base-coat/clear coat, but no big deal. They say painting with single stage metallic is hard, so I guess after this the clear coat paints will seem easy.

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2018 at 6:39am
Looking real good Cam.  Thumbs Up

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2018 at 4:40pm
Looking good! Hopefully I'll see you at the show in a couple weeks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 34>
  Share Topic