TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My "new" 72 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 34>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2018 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Woosterkevin Woosterkevin wrote:

I am not a big fan of white interior, but that color combination looks great.

Thanks, Kevin.  I felt the same way, but went with this because it's what the car came with. It's more of an off-white, and I'm happy enough with how it turned out.

I used to stay in Wooster sometimes when I worked on the Indy Car circuit.  When we raced at Mid-Ohio sometimes Wooster was the closest hotel room I could find!

Edited by CamJam - Jan/02/2018 at 9:53pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

23baseball3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2018 at 9:04pm
Everything looks great Cam! Some might be upset by disrupting the cars originality, but whatever works to help it cruise a little better I think is a healthy improvement! 

I've been to Mid-Ohio once. Almost two hour drive for me, but I saw an Indy Car race there a few years back.
1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed AC
2005 Volvo V70R
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2018 at 5:19am
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Originally posted by Woosterkevin Woosterkevin wrote:

I am not a big fan of white interior, but that color combination looks great.

Thanks, Kevin.  I felt the same way, but went with this because it's what the car came with. It's more of an off-white, and I'm happy enough with how it turned out.

I used to stay in Wooster sometimes when I worked on the Indy Car circuit.  When we raced at Mid-Ohio sometimes Wooster was the closest hotel room I could find!

Yep, it's not so white as in the pictures... 73 had similar light tan top cover on the seats. Which did not look too bad. Having the dark carpet, will make such a two toned covering look more dramatic with contrast.

The seat covers seem to go with the vinyl top you chose, maybe one reason you picked such a color when you made the choice.

All in all it looks great! 

I think 72 had some of the most dramatic color interior options for 71 to 74 Javelin. White, Red and black, and the two toned tan (since the top cover is a bit lighter than all other colors but white)..
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2018 at 4:24pm
While the rear bumper was off at the chrome shop, I decided to tackle the rear panel.  The rear valance, like the front one, was covered with a salt-like chalky film that had some light corrosion underneath. 

I sanded it down to bare metal, straightened and filled a few dents, then primed and repainted it with PPG acrylic enamel.  I made the mistake of not checking my paint sprayer pattern on paper before I started (I should ALWAYS do this) and as a result my paint was coming out of the gun too heavy and I caused a big run on the first pass.  At that point I decided I had nothing to lose and with the paint spray I chased the run all the way down to the bottom of the valance, where the excess paint dripped off.  I just kept adding paint, and as I did the run kept moving down and eventually dripped off the bottom. Turns out it's probably the nicest looking piece I have painted to date, lol.  It looks like it was dipped in paint... no orange peel whatsoever.  As my dad likes to say, "I fell in a bucket of s**t and came up with a gold nugget!"

I also repaired a broken tab on one of the the seat clam-shells with a right angle bracket I picket up at WalMart.   I just cut it down to the size I needed, bent it to the proper angle and glued it to the clam shell with JB Weld plastic epoxy.  Not the prettiest repair I've ever made perhaps, but it works, and I think it will hold up better than if I'd tried to reconstruct an exact replica of the original tab out of plastic.  Of course, it'll be on the inside and out of sight anyway.

Edited by CamJam - Jan/07/2018 at 7:06pm

Woosterkevin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Woosterkevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2018 at 4:32pm
Looking good, keep up the good work.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2018 at 6:23pm

Picked up an AW4 from the local U-Pick-It, along with the shifter, computer and slip yoke, so fitting it into the Javelin will be an upcoming challenge.  

I'm also in the process of replacing the stock 4-speed manual in my Opel GT with a 2005-10 Mustang T5.  I'll have to do that first as I have a rally several hundred miles long coming up in April and want to have the 5-speed in for that.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2018 at 5:13pm

The rear bumper is back from the chrome shop.  Kind of a shame that it covers up my nice repaint of the rear panel. Ermm

target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2018 at 7:55pm
Can you show the jb weld plastic adhesive? If that worked id like to get some myself.
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2018 at 8:19pm
Cam, the bumper looks awesome. Better than stock. I've got to re-chrome mine, too. I'm afraid to see how much it will cost. Was it less than $500?
Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2018 at 9:10pm
Target, it's this stuff. So far the clamshell repair is holding up fine.

Tom, to rechrome the bumper was $340, and the bumperettes were $48 each.  That included taking a small dent out of the bumper.  That was from Metro Plating, in Mesa AZ.  They're not the speediest, but they're nice folks and do good work.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 34>
  Share Topic