TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My "new" 72 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 34>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2017 at 1:24pm
Looks like a nice find Cam, congrats!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Ambassador
AMO#10333
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2017 at 2:43pm
Cam, What interior parts do you need?? I have lots of 71-74 Javelin interior I can bring to Gettysburg, where I'll have a vending spot. None in tan though, all black, so you would have to dye it. All from northern cars that rusted away years ago, so its in good shape. 
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2017 at 1:42am
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Cam, What interior parts do you need?? I have lots of 71-74 Javelin interior I can bring to Gettysburg, where I'll have a vending spot. None in tan though, all black, so you would have to dye it. All from northern cars that rusted away years ago, so its in good shape. 

Awesome, Scott! SEM Color Coat works wonders on changing the color, so that's not an issue.   I need the a-pillar interior trim (both sides), which are two-pieces per side… the main trim piece and tbe top corner.

I also need the upper and lower interior trim at the backglass and a console lid.

Also the pinch weld that runs above the driver's window. Seems to be thinner than the 68/69 pinch weld, which I do have.

Anything else I can think of I'll pm to you.

Thanks again!
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2017 at 5:04am
Congrats on the find and good luck on the project!
Thumbs Up

I was like you on the color, when I first saw my car Golden-lime, I was not very impressed. But the paint needed some serious cleaning and polishing. After looking at some other Golden-lime cars, the enthusiasm increased and now I love the color
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2017 at 9:00am
Thanks to everyone. I love finding and preserving these cars before they fall into disrepair.

Here's what I want her to look like when she's done:

Baja Bronze AMX

LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2017 at 9:38am
That is a sweet color and stance. Good luck with it.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2017 at 5:24pm

The best part is having a backup source for parts now.  I discovered at the last minute that I'm missing two brackets I need on my '69 AMX for Gettysburg. Guess where I found them?  Thank goodness the Javelin is an a/c car too!

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2017 at 4:09pm

After investing $60 in a master cylinder and carb rebuild kit, I now have a Javelin that stops and runs without leaking gas over a hot engine.  Thus, I decided it was time for my first drive outside of my little neighborhood.  I live about eight miles from town, six of which is on 65 mph divided highway, so it's a good drive for a shakedown cruise. 

I'd already established that the car would run and stop, but going over 25 mph was a new experience.  The suspension is definitely old and tired-- the odometer says 44k miles, but I always assumed it was really 144k miles-- yet the motor and transmission both seem strong.  Mechanically, she really just needs a front-end rebuild and a u-joint replacement. That's the kind of stuff I enjoy doing, and I think I'll really have a nice driving car once those two issues are dealt with. 

My mom had a '69 Javelin and later a '73.  I always remember how much nicer the '73 drove, and knowing now that they are basically the same car, it still amazes me. I guess the ball joint front suspension is the difference.  Though it's very similar to the Mustang front end of the day, I always felt that the Javelins were nicer driving cars.  Ford steering was horrible back then, so perhaps that's a lot of it. 

Anyway, back to the drive to town... though I had checked carefully for gas leaks, it was reassuring to step out of the grocery store and not see a crowd gathered around a plume of black smoke rising from the parking lot.  The car started right up after heat soaking the carb in 100 degree Arizona weather for 20 minutes too.

Other than the paint job, it shouldn't be too expensive to bring her back to her glory days.  The interior has been reupholstered. Though not great, it's not horrible either, and I can definitely live with it for the time being. At least the upholsterer preserved the look of the original 1972 seats, even though the fabric is different from the original.  The carpeting is amazingly good. Might not need to do anything with it. Same with the headliner. What I do have to deal with is the crumbling plastic trim around the windows, the rear package tray and the hazy instrument plastics.  Of course, the fit and finish on these dashes was mediocre even when new, so I'm sure that disassembling and reassembling the dash so that everything lines up nicely will be a fun job.

The windshield will need replacing due to some nasty scratches, but the rest of the glass is ok, and the side windows roll up and down without drama.

So, basically I have a tired-but-mostly-original and rust-free Javelin.  Pretty much what I was looking for. 

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2017 at 4:42pm
That bronze color looks nice to me. Though my first Javelin was a 73 that was Copper Tone Bronze with tan interior. Not as dark but had a red hue to it, in the shade. It let the lines of the car show very well.

Looks pretty good and is a driver. Never knew Cali had red engines for one year only. It would've been interesting in my early years to check out the 72 AMX in California that I drooled at for sale. It was Metalic brown with black vinyl top. If I would've seen the engine, i would have thought all AMC v8s were red. Ha! Though the air cleaner sure did not look right when I first saw it. Probably had the sticker installed for emissions or for looks. California was a stickler for emissions. My 73 was originally a Michigan car for less than a year. Then when in California the owner had to have the dealer add emissions to it. Don't know what parts were needed but they told me that when selling.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2017 at 5:56pm
Sounds like a great cruiser Cam! I wish i could have a similar car to just burn around in!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Ambassador
AMO#10333
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 34>
  Share Topic