TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My "new" 72 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 34>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2017 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by bigbadgreen bigbadgreen wrote:

It looking great! Especially for a driver.I bet it's nice to drive, and a lot less worries than when your bbo car is out. Enjoy!

Thanks, Earl.  Yes, you're right... it's nice to have a driver I can enjoy and not have to worry so much about!
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2017 at 9:20pm

Upholstery is done.  Seats feel great, and I don't have to sit on a pillow any longer!

Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2017 at 7:18am
Looking great Cam! Keep up the good work, Your an inspiration. I have the same color interior. It's nice to know there's light at the end of the tunnel. This is what I'm working with.

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2017 at 11:37am
I actually prefer the dark carpet. It makes the interior more inviting and provides some contrasting color. Looking great Cam! When does the the hitch get installed so you can tow the AMX?
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2017 at 4:58pm
Thanks, Tony.

Tom, thanks for posting the photos of your original interior.  I don't think I've ever seen the parchment interior on a '72... only a '73, which has parchment color only on the center inserts. It's nice to know that what I have looks very close to what was originally in the car.

I finished installing new front wheel bearings today, and with that, everything in the front-end except the idler arm and the inner tie rod ends has been replaced.  They don't seem to need it, but perhaps I'll get to them when I run out of other things to do.  

The incremental improvements every time I replace something and take the car for a test drive are very rewarding.  When I think back on the first time I drove the car, I was afraid to go over about 40 mph because of how loose the car felt (with good reason, as it turns out because the next day one of the old tires blew).  The front end now feels like the car just left the showroom, and in fact it might even be better since I installed the '94 Grand Cherokee steering box.

The new wheel bearings got rid of a groan that I'd notice on smooth roads. I assumed they were causing it, but you can never be too sure.  The rear diff carrier and pinion bearings are probably original as well, and surely contribute their fair share of whines and groans, but changing the gear oil in there this morning seems to have quieted it down a bit too.

Thank goodness the engine and transmission on this car work well.  Those are a couple of major expenses I can do without.  I'll probably have the rear diff refurbished at some point, but I'm going to wait until I can find a shop that I can trust.  We had a great drive line shop here a few years ago, but the guy retired and I don't trust any of the others with setting the preload properly, etc. 

I paid $4,500 for the car, and by now I probably have another $4,000 into it.  I could have probably bought a Javelin as nice as this one for that money, but I now have new bushings, springs, u-joints, transmission seals, master cylinder, battery, wheels & tires, windshield, interior, vinyl top and a rebuilt carb.  More importantly, I know what's been replaced and what hasn't because I did it myself.

Edited by CamJam - Dec/30/2017 at 5:19pm

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2017 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Thanks, Tony.

Tom, thanks for posting the photos of your original interior.  I don't think I've ever seen the parchment interior on a '72... only a '73, which has parchment color only on the center inserts. It's nice to know that what I have looks very close to what was originally in the car.

I finished installing new front wheel bearings today, and with that, everything in the front-end except the idler arm and the inner tie rod ends has been replaced.  They don't seem to need it, but perhaps I'll get to them when I run out of other things to do.  

The incremental improvements every time I replace something and take the car for a test drive are very rewarding.  When I think back on the first time I drove the car, I was afraid to go over about 40 mph because of how loose the car felt (with good reason, as it turns out because the next day one of the old tires blew).  The front end now feels like the car just left the showroom, and in fact it might even be better since I installed the '94 Grand Cherokee steering box.

The new wheel bearings got rid of a groan that I'd notice on smooth roads. I assumed they were causing it, but you can never be too sure.  The rear diff carrier and pinion bearings are probably original as well, and surely contribute their fair share of whines and groans, but changing the gear oil in there this morning seems to have quieted it down a bit too.

Thank goodness the engine and transmission on this car work well.  Those are a couple of major expenses I can do without.  I'll probably have the rear diff refurbished at some point, but I'm going to wait until I can find a shop that I can trust.  We had a great drive line shop here a few years ago, but the guy retired and I don't trust any of the others with setting the preload properly, etc. 

I paid $4,500 for the car, and by now I probably have another $4,000 into it.  I could have probably bought a Javelin as nice as this one for that money, but I now have new bushings, springs, u-joints, transmission seals, master cylinder, battery, wheels & tires, windshield, interior, vinyl top and a rebuilt carb.  More importantly, I know what's been replaced and what hasn't because I did it myself.
<span style="font-size: 0.75em;">.</span>
<span style="font-size: 0.75em;">
</span>
<span style="font-size: 0.75em;"> </span>

Plus there is little to worry about on the work done, as you did your best not to change too much, like others have done with finding small to medium issues. You probably have a better peace of mind with getting down to details that could have stayed hidden, if not having to replace a top and getting into old touch up work.

As for parchment interior, never seen one on a 72. My had something similar, but is not so striking with contrast. Maybe it's the lighting and dark carpet. The only other contrasting look would be the white interior option, which would be like how your seats are.

Edited by 304-dude - Dec/30/2017 at 5:36pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2018 at 5:33pm

Been considering changing out the 998 transmission for a 4-speed A340.  I found a suitable '95 Cherokee 2WD for the donor tranny today, but it has 240k miles on it, so I think I'll keep looking.  It's a shame though, because so much stuff has already been stripped off the Jeep that removing the tranny would have been a breeze.

bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2018 at 5:42pm
Always good to do the stuff yourself, so you know what you have.
Difference in definition of restored, rebuilt, and overhauled in ones eyes .I'd look for a lower mileage tranny to.interior looks great!wonder what gears would be best to run with o.d. trans?
Woosterkevin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woosterkevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2018 at 7:14pm
I am not a big fan of white interior, but that color combination looks great.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2018 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by bigbadgreen bigbadgreen wrote:

Always good to do the stuff yourself, so you know what you have.
Difference in definition of restored, rebuilt, and overhauled in ones eyes .I'd look for a lower mileage tranny to.interior looks great!wonder what gears would be best to run with o.d. trans?

I think 3.54 would be about perfect, but with 2.87, which I probably have (though haven't verified yet) it might be too (numerically) low.  I calculate 1920 rpm @ 70 mph with my tire diameter.  My Chrysler Aspen does 2100 at the same speed, so I'm not too far off.  I'm hoping my diff turns out to be 3.15, which should put me in the ballpark.  Will jack the car up tomorrow to find out.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 34>
  Share Topic