TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My "new" 72 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 34>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 5:08pm

Well, I ripped the repop trunk weatherseal out and threw it in the garbage.  That's the best place for it.  The Metro seal that I had in my AMX had to be pressed in tightly with a plastic trim tool, and once I did that it worked like a charm.  It was soft enough to do that, but this stuff was about as hard as the 45 year-old seal I took out. 

Thanks for the tip on amcrambler.com, James.  I'll give them a try.

EDIT:  Just checked my receipts, and the weatherseal that worked for my AMX came from Galvins too. Confused  I'll have to call them and see if they've changed vendors.

Edited by CamJam - Dec/09/2017 at 5:23pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2017 at 7:30pm

Got the fittings I needed for the steering box and went for a drive tonight.  My apprehension over using a junk-yard steering box was for naught, and the car drives great!  The 12.7 ratio is perfect, and the extra steering effort really does make it drive like a modern car.  The original ratio wasn't too bad with the sport steering wheel, but the Jeep box makes it that much better and has eliminated the bit of free play and some wandering I had previously with the steering wheel on-center.

I spent $60 for the steering box, $20 for the hose adapter, $18 for NAPA to put on a new hose fitting, $8 for new power steering fluid, and $45 for the steering coupler, so $151 total.  I couldn't be happier. 

I also bought a new Pitman arm since mine was worn, but you can use the original Javelin Pitman arm if you want to.

Edited by CamJam - Dec/11/2017 at 9:59pm

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2017 at 5:36pm

Received the upholstery and new seat foam from Legendary and removed the seats to take them to the upholsterer.  

The history of this car remains a mystery to me.  When I got it, it seemed like a bit of a beater, but when you look closely, it's really in very good shape underneath... just mostly needed a good cleaning.  Being a desert car certainly helped. Not sure whether this is the original carpet, but it sure looks like it except that there's little wear for a 45 year-old car.  The seats had been recovered before, so perhaps they replaced the carpeting at that time. 

I added some Dyna Mat-equivalent matting a few weeks ago and am going to take the opportunity while the seats are out to spray some sound deadener (Lizard Skin) into the door and rear seat area panels.

Edited by CamJam - Dec/22/2017 at 11:01am

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2017 at 5:50pm
My 71 and 73 did not have a nice border trim as shown. They were left with cut edges. Plus I never saw a tan interior with dark carpet. Only a golden tanish color, which my 73 had.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2017 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

My 71 and 73 did not have a nice border trim as shown. They were left with cut edges. Plus I never saw a tan interior with dark carpet. Only a golden tanish color, which my 73 had.

Good to know, James, THANKS!  I have only ever seen the tan carpet as well and did wonder about that.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2017 at 8:02pm

Finished putting new pins and bushings in the door hinges today.  Dorman #38688, available from O'Reillys, while not an exact match to the originals, works just fine.  I just had to ream the holes out slightly with a 3/8" drill bit and the bushings tapped right in. They sell the kit for $12.99 per door.

No more play in the hinges!!

Edited by CamJam - Dec/22/2017 at 8:07pm

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2017 at 8:58pm
Hey, if you had a real winter, by the time spring comes, all your work into the car will not feel like it has been too much effort. Meaning a good rest to let it all the gpod soak In.

Its almost looks as good as my 98% stock late 73 California Javelin, when I bought it in 84 from the original owner. Though your engine bay and engine is a lot cleaner than mine was, even if i steamed mine, so you get extra points on that. The paint on the engine was hardly there. Plus air cleaner looked like it needed stripped and repainted.

I would say, since you got the seats out, get a proper carpet color and everything will look as stock as it could be for the work done.

Just surprised that the belts are black, mine matched the interior colour. Just an oddity to me, as many say all Javelins had black belts. Should have taken pix or kept my original belts.

Edited by 304-dude - Dec/22/2017 at 9:03pm
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2017 at 9:25pm

Yeah, it gets cold at night here in the high-desert-- low 20s last night--  but the winter days are usually in the 50s & 60s.  Only in the 40s here yesterday though.  I used the cold temps this morning to get my choke working properly.  Previously, it wasn't working at all, which isn't a problem most of the year here, but I was putting a lot of wear on the starter this winter and decided it was time to fix it.

I plan to keep the dark-brown carpeting.  This is only a driver, not a concours restoration, and most people won't know the difference anyway.  It's also doesn't show stains, which suits me fine.

If it's warm enough tomorrow I'll spray some Lizard Skin inside the doors.

Edited by CamJam - Dec/22/2017 at 9:45pm

bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2017 at 9:42pm
It looking great! Especially for a driver.I bet it's nice to drive, and a lot less worries than when your bbo car is out. Enjoy!
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2017 at 5:24am
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

I plan to keep the dark-brown carpeting.  This is only a driver, not a concours restoration, and most people won't know the difference anyway.  It's also doesn't show stains, which suits me fine.

Ah, not saying you must replace it... yep, totally understood. Just the wee few AMC peeps who had tan interiors will look at it as a bit odd. Just if you had more dark panels to match the carpet it would not be so contrasting so to speak. I guess for me it's not that I am a stickler for details, just not use to it and all.

It seems their is proof of my old reasoning, no matter how well you find an old original car, there will be a number of wee fixes and replacement of maintenance items to keep you busy after making it operational. It's like they pop out of the wood work one after another to make you work for it a bit. Nothing is as simple as it seems, yet I don't think you would find any other car in such condition when found being any simpler. If anything wee bleeders of your time and piggy, are better than a flood of critical issues once you start digging.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 34>
  Share Topic