TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My "new" 72 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 34>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 6:16am
One of the easiest mild restoration done today, considering the condition. Well worth every penny, and then some. If you want to darken up the tan top, there are vinyl stains with UK protection. Some are near clear coats. Probably can match to the lower A pillar trim pieces as if were stock.

Because of the darker trim pieces, I tend to think of making the top a tent of golden copper, like a few shades lighter than the car body color.

I am color blind, so them trim sections look more closer to body color but light, considering, to me on the photos.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

One of the easiest mild restoration done today, considering the condition. Well worth every penny, and then some. If you want to darken up the tan top, there are vinyl stains with UK protection. Some are near clear coats. Probably can match to the lower A pillar trim pieces as if were stock.

Because of the darker trim pieces, I tend to think of making the top a tent of golden copper, like a few shades lighter than the car body color.

I am color blind, so them trim sections look more closer to body color but light, considering, to me on the photos.

The roof trim paint was left over from repainting the interior, so I decided to give it a try.  I'm not sure it will stay that way, but I think I like it ok.  I tried black first, but it just seemed to draw too much attention to the trim. 

I agree more of a light copper or saddle brown would look nice for the vinyl roof, though the roof color is actually a little darker than it appears in the photos.

In any case, when I walk out from a store now and see it in the parking lot my first impression is that  it looks pretty good. Distinctive enough to not look like any other Javelins I can remember as well.  

'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 9:07pm

Originally posted by SEdmonds SEdmonds wrote:

Cam - I really like this car - love the color!

Thanks for the comments, everyone!  The pictures make it look a little better than it is, but at least I don't feel like I'm driving a beater when I take it to town now. The tan of the vinyl top seems to accentuate the copper colors in the paint more than the original white top did.

Edited by CamJam - Nov/11/2017 at 6:07am

Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2017 at 10:01pm
Love the colour! Clap
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2017 at 6:48pm
Very nice work it looks GREAT!!
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2017 at 3:23pm

Thanks guys. Little by little it's getting better, though it's meant to be a driver and not a show car.

I mentioned earlier that I was having trouble with the vinyl roof trim.  The clips I got from Galvins just don't work very well.  but fortunately my local Napa store had the perfect clip... Balkamp 665-1307.  It was in stock, so I assume it's used on other makes of cars as well.

The clip Galvins sells is on the left, and the Balkamp one is on the right.  These clips slide onto a post that the factory welded to the roof, and then the trim snaps in place by pushing it in with some force.  The problem with the Galvin's clip is that they sit too close to the roof, so the trim can't grab under them.  I was able to make them work somewhat by putting a small washer under the front of the clip to act as a spacer, but it seemed Mickey Mouse to me and still didn't grab all that well.  The Balkamp clips worked perfectly, and the fact that they're available locally was a bonus.

I painted the side trim pieces above the quarter windows to match the vinyl and the rest of the trim.  Though the peanut butter trim color looks ok on top of the roof, I'm not so sure I like it when I see the quarter window trim pieces in place.  In any case, it will do for now. It's not that big a deal to change later if I decide to. 

Edited by CamJam - Dec/08/2017 at 8:33pm

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 7:25pm
Haven't posted in awhile, but I have actually been pretty busy on the car.  

I spent a lot of time filling and sanding the rust repairs made to the valance at the lower corners of the rear window, then painting the whole panel.  The part I was most worried about was getting the new paint to look like the old. To match the gloss level to the original, I sprayed the last coat a little light and held the paint gun farther away.  This introduced a slight amount of orange peel, but it got the gloss just about perfect.  The photo shows the trunk lid, with 45-year-old original paint, and the new paint between the trunk lid and the rear window. It's hard to tell the difference.

Actually, I had to do the paint twice, because the first time I got a big run on the last coat.  Trying to fix it only made it worse, and I ended up sanding down to primer again and starting over. Unhappy

The rear bumper is now at the platers getting rechromed.  In the meantime, I put in a new rubber trunk seal, which accounts for the poor fit of the trunk lid in the photo below.  The trunk seal came from Galvins (no brand-name on the package) and was a LOT harder than the Metro Seal rubber I used previously in my AMX.  I remembered from doing the AMX that you really have to force the rubber into the groove if you want the trunk lid to close properly, but this hard rubber just would not go. For now, I adjusted the latch so that I could at least get the trunk closed.  Hopefully it will eventually compress the rubber enough that I can readjust the latch down later.

I got a 12.7 ratio power steering box from a '94 Jeep Cherokee from the local Pick 'n Pull, and finished installing it today.  I'm just awaiting an adapter for the high-pressure power steering hose as the later boxes (after 1979 or so) use metric fittings.  I mistakenly ordered the wrong adapter, and now I'll have to wait until Monday for the correct one to arrive.  I'm itching to see how it drives, but it's not going anywhere without the adapter.

For those who are interested in doing this, here's what you need:

Saginaw power steering gear from a 92-96 Jeep Cherokee *
Napa WH-1447 Adapter for high-pressure hose https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/WH_1447 ***
Make sure to keep the low pressure fitting from the Jeep's steering box, or you'll have to order another adapter.

* Lots of info on previous threads about this swap both on this forum and on Camaro and Chevelle forums too.  The Jeep box gives a quick 12.7 ratio (compared to the original 15:1 or thereabouts) and higher effort, which are supposed to give the steering feel of a modern car. This is more or less a direct bolt-in-- uses the original mounting bracket and Pitman arm-- but Saginaw changed the mounting locations slightly through the years and now only two of the three mounting holes line up with the Javelin.  Some have not worried about securing the third bolt, but I plan on fabricating a bracket/adapter out of plate steel to secure it.  I've heard you can use Jeep boxes up to model year 2000, but I can't verify that.  Quick ratio boxes from various GM models are available too, but many of them have internal stops that will to be increase your turning radius. The Jeep box has no such limits (our cars have external stops).

** The size of the steering shaft changed around the same time the metric fittings were introduced, so the original rag joint will need to be replaced with this part.

*** This adapter allows you to use your original high pressure power steering hose. Low pressure hose will not need an adapter if you use the fitting on the Jeep box.  EDIT:  The high-pressure hose needs a new fitting. The Javelin hose is 3/8" inverted flare on one end and 7/16" on the other.  I had to have my local NAPA store remove the 7/16" fitting and press on a new 3/8", which allowed me to use the WH-1447 above.  If I had it to do over I would just check to see if they could put on an 18mm o-ring fitting, which would mate to the Jeep steering box without the adapter, but this way worked and I already had the adapter.

I've ordered new upholstery and seat foam from Legendary.  I went with the vinyl that came in the car originally.  Would have loved to have corduroy, but just couldn't justify the extra cost.  It won't be here for a couple more weeks.

Edited by CamJam - Dec/11/2017 at 7:36pm

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 7:43pm
Car is looking good! Out of curiosity, how many bolts are holding the steering box on now?

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 7:50pm
Don't know about the rear trunk seal you have from Galvin's.

I have a metro one, and it will need trimmed along the channel surface to fit about 1/16" lower. That is comparing to my original, once glued down and lid closed the lip will conform.

I did a test fit before modding and gluing. The gluing part will be done after the body has been painted.

There are a few good reproduction seals for restoration oem style, which are listed in the early Javelin and AMX threads for the providers. I think one of them was listed as recent as this week.

Don't know if you are planning on door seals, metro takes a bit of modding IMO if wanting close to oem in fit and having the metal plates to keep the seal tight at the door front corners. Don't know about the other restoration quality seals, but you may want to keep your original door seals until you check out the ones you obtain. You'll probaby need to transfer the plates, once you strip away the old rubber that they are molded in.

I have a thread on my Metro seals mods to make them fit better.

As for roof rail seals, they are a nice fit, but a wee stiffer, but don't need modification to install.

EDIT... Here is the link to some nice restoration quality seals.   www.amcrambler.com

Here is the link to my Metro door seal mods.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/door-weather-seals-hidden-parts-restoration_topic81289.html?KW=Door+seal

Edited by 304-dude - Dec/08/2017 at 8:18pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Car is looking good! Out of curiosity, how many bolts are holding the steering box on now?

Two bolts hold the steering box to the mounting bracket, and the original three holes mount the bracket to the car body as the original AMC mounting bracket is used.  I read somewhere that on mid-60s Ramblers all three mounting holes will line up with the Jeep box.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 34>
  Share Topic