TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My "new" 72 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 34>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2017 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by DaemonForce DaemonForce wrote:

Presented with that older stuff that AC connection looks so old and ugly. Everything else in here looks like a jewel and that one rusted line stands out. Confused The new stuff looks 100%.

I know what you mean. I didn't worry about that too much as the a/c hoses are going to be replaced anyway.

Thanks, Dominic. I've done this with the engine in the car. Just takes some time and planning, plus lots of masking tape and paint, lol.  A wire brush on a bench grinder comes in real handy too.

Edited by CamJam - Sep/24/2017 at 4:03pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2017 at 5:14pm
Very nice Cam
mudslinger View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2017 at 3:30pm
Lots of good information here.  Thanks for the updates.
1970 AMX 390
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2017 at 7:38pm

Thanks Buster and Mike.

Took the old girl out for a drive today to celebrate her new mufflers and tie rods.  She doesn't look too bad from 20 yards away!

The mufflers worked out well.  The car had some Thrush mufflers that sounded great at idle, but I was always a little too self-conscious driving through the neighborhood about being a nuisance, and it droaned quite a bit on the highway.  It still has the throaty idle, but is much quieter overall... pretty much what I was hoping for.  They're just standard Walker mufflers, and I'm surprised they're as throaty at idle as they are.  I have the same mufflers on my AMX, so I pretty much knew what to expect, but seems like they are a little louder on the Javelin for whatever reason. 

EDIT:  So glad I rebuilt the front suspension.  Between that and the new mufflers it's like driving a new car now.  Forget my previous whining about the rear shocks being too stiff.  Either they've loosened up or (more likely) I've gotten used to them.

Edited by CamJam - Sep/30/2017 at 1:58pm

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2017 at 11:05pm

Hey, look what I found in the rear seat back springs!

As you can see, nothing is readable but the handwritten parts.

79-7 is a Javelin
66S  is short for the trim code (266S)
I'm guessing TR 3S means 3-speed transmission?

Anyone know what the other numbers mean?

EDIT:  Found some more info on Eddie takes site:

OM = Outside mirror (right side I believe)
CG = Convenience Group
AP = Might be Appearance Group

Edited by CamJam - Oct/03/2017 at 11:35pm

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2017 at 9:33pm

Made myself a new trunk divider out of fiber board today, using the old one as a template.  Since fiber board is not very flexible, I scored the top on both sides with a razor knife to give me the same bend as the original cardboard divider, and then lightly painted it with truck bed liner.  

I also put some foam weatherstrip between the divider and bulkhead to help seal the trunk from the passenger compartment a bit better, and also put some Roadkill (similar to Dynamat) under the rear seat to help keep exhaust  and road noise inside the car to a minimum. Forgot to take photos of that before I put the rear seat back in.

Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2017 at 9:35pm
Wow it looks great Cam, nice work!!
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2017 at 10:28am
Thanks Buster, but mere child's play compared to what you've accomplished with your '71. It's just amazing!!

Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2017 at 8:10pm
The car looks great, Cam. I'm glad you got it on the road. It gives me more incentive to start working on mine again. I'd like to get it on the road by next spring. I can use a lot of your tips while working on mt car.
Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 6:13pm
Windshield and backglass are out for some rust repairs at the lower corners.  I have a good used backglass to replace the scratched one that was on the car and am picking up a new windshield this weekend. The old one had some nasty gouges on it from running without a wiper blade at all, it would appear!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 34>
  Share Topic