TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My "new" 72 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 34>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My "new" 72 Javelin SST
    Posted: May/31/2017 at 11:02pm

I've been looking for a humpster project for a little while now. An AMX with a 360 or 401 would have been ideal, but all I found were either rust buckets or out of my price range. 

Instead what I found was this worn, but mostly original Javelin SST with a 304.  It has been in Arizona or California all its life, and has no rust at all except pinholes at the bottom of the rear window. It was cheap, and the engine seems to run really well.  I say "seems to" because I really haven't been able to drive it anywhere... it has NO brakes.  Right to the floor!! Anyway, it sounds awesome idling in my driveway.

As always, the car looks substantially better in the photos,  but it has no bondo and just a few minor dents. Both bumpers and even the grill are good too!  The carpeting is original, but the seats have been reupholstered.  They put the same fabric on the lower half of the door panels too, so that will have to go. The interior plastic trim is toast... common here in Arizona, but the dash is good except for the usual humpster dash design flaws.  The vinyl roof is gone and has been replaced by rattle can paint.  I plan on going back to vinyl.

At first it seemed a bit of an unfortunate color (Baja Bronze)  but when I saw this photo of another Baja Bronze car I realized the possibilities:

My plan is not to make it a show car, but just a nice driver.  My preference is always to keep a car as original as possible, but I'm not going to go down the NOS dated-coded route like I did with my '69 BBO. That's my story anyway, lol.

This is going to be a spare time project, so updates will likely be slow coming.  

Edited by CamJam - Oct/04/2017 at 12:15am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2017 at 11:14pm
Oh yes, it's a factory AC car too!

Unfortunately, the brakes (or lack thereof) are manual drums, so I'll be upgrading to power brakes and discs up front.

AMoCoLite View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2017 at 11:36pm
Nice find!
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2017 at 1:50am
nice find looks very good shape good luck on the project i do like the color to
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2017 at 6:12pm
I assumed a PO had painted my engine red, but figured they must have done it during a rebuild because the red paint is in places that would be hard to get at with the engine in the car. Then I remembered that California cars after '71 were painted red!  This car was located just a few miles from the California border, so I assume it must have been bought there.  

Not sure about the air cleaner though. Were they black or red on California cars?

401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2017 at 8:55pm
I had a 72 Javelin SST in very rare skyway blue back in the early 90s. It was a 304 auto car from California and it had the red engine. The air cleaner was black. One of those cars I wish I still had but it had some rust issues from sitting outside in Florida weather. It was a power drum brake car...hated those things
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2017 at 10:10pm
I think the engines were painted red only for the 1972 model year.  I had a 73 Javelin bought new in Pasadena and it had the AMC blue engine of the time.  Check the emissions sticker on the firewall to see if states that it meets 49 state and CA emsissons.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2017 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Oh yes, it's a factory AC car too!

Unfortunately, the brakes (or lack thereof) are manual drums, so I'll be upgrading to power brakes and discs up front.

I had a 73 304/3-speed javelin AMX with drums on all 4 corners, and yes, they sucked.  I upgraded to front discs, changed out the master cylinder, but did not go with a power booster (I was broke!) and I was very pleasantly surprised that the car really didn't require a ton of pressure to stop, and the brake 'feel' was really good. I added an adjustable proportioning valve later, which helped with brake balance, but for street use, you probably wouldn't need to do that.

The front disc setup I used was a Bendix setup off a 78 Matador.  direct bolt on.  You could use a setup off a Gremlin/Hornet just as easily, but the rotors are thinner, and will heat up/fade quicker.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

I think the engines were painted red only for the 1972 model year.  I had a 73 Javelin bought new in Pasadena and it had the AMC blue engine of the time.  Check the emissions sticker on the firewall to see if states that it meets 49 state and CA emsissons.  Joe

It does indeed have the California emissions sticker.  Thanks for that tip, Joe.

Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2017 at 11:33am
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

It does indeed have the California emissions sticker.  Thanks for that tip, Joe.
The red engines were in 71 models also. all 2 barrel motors?  Lee 
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 34>
  Share Topic