TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My new 1964 classic!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty 64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My new 1964 classic!
    Posted: May/13/2018 at 7:08pm
Hey people! New to the forum.. just picked up a 64 rambler classic 770 with the 196 in it.. 60k on the clock! it's been sitting for years! Plates say 1985.. changed the oil. And threw an new set of points at it.. ran the fuel line into a small tank and she runs!
The value train seems loud.. took the valve cover off lots of carbon build up and it seems like it's not getting much oil up there.. it's running 30+ psi at the oil galley.. is the valve train oiled off the small oil line at the front of the head? Should I take it apart and clean it? I assume the valve train needs to be adjusted . This motor is new to me and I don't want to kill it.. thanks in advance for all the help and wisdom
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2018 at 8:15pm
Torque the head bolts at 60 ft lbs. You will probably find them quite loose. Adjust the valves and yes make sure that line is flowing oil. Drilling a small hole in the thermostat helps getting the water flowing. You should be able to get another 60k on it without much for problems. 

Watch that the umbrella seals don't disintegrate and plug up the intake screen. I'd put an oil pressure gauge inside. 

Edited by vinny - May/13/2018 at 8:18pm
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2018 at 8:32pm
Get a service manual and do a valve adjustment after retorqueing the head bolts as above.   I assume it is the cast iron 195.6.  That engine can have a noisy valve train if the valves are not properly adjusted because it has solid lifters.  The valve adjustment specs are cast into the intake manifold plate.  The cylinders are numbered from front to rear.  If you are adjusting the valves without running the engine until it is fully warmed up, allow another .02 inch or so clearance in each valve for the adjustment.  By looking at the engine you should be able to determine which are the intake valves and which are the exhaust valves, because of the way the exhaust valves line up directly across from the exhaust ports.  If you have any questions feel free to post to the forum.  Good luck.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 7:57am
Adjusted correctly with the valve cover off the valves will still sound like a well oiled sewing machine... even with the cover on. But you shouldn't be able to hear them much with the hood down, and especially not inside the car. You shouldn't have oil spraying everywhere in the head. Oil comes through that small line to the head then just dribbles into the rocker shaft through one of the supports. You should have just a little oil dribbling out the back of the rocker shaft with the engine idling. If not the passage in the rocker support is more likely clogged than the line, or the passage in the head. Easy to see and run a wire in either once the rocker shaft is off.

You don't have to worry about head bolt tightening sequence if you do one bolt at a time. Loosen slightly then torque down to 60 ft/lbs. Do that every 10-12K miles or once a year, and adjust valves at the same time. Those are required maintenance for the 196 OHV. IF you don't torque the head bolts they eventually work loose and you will run it hot, possibly cracking the hard to replace head.

Frank Swygert
Dusty 64 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty 64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 8:10am
Awesome! Waiting on a tsm and I'll get after it! Thanks guys
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic