TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My AW4 swap into a '72 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2018 at 5:08pm
Torque rating of the AW4 is 450 ft. lbs,so should be fine with any stock AMC V8.   A 500 hp fire-breathing monster is another story. Smile
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2018 at 5:09pm
Uhm, it DOES. The whole onus of building up the AW4 in a Javelin is for exactly that. I would most likely be looking at a GoPNH 8040 converter but there's a LOT of options for this transmission, thanks to Toyota support and popularity. Another reason to jump to it.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2018 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Originally posted by DragRacingSpirit DragRacingSpirit wrote:

If the AW4 could hold up to a 500HP hot street 401 and have a selection of torque converters it would be interesting.

Until then I just dream of a gear vendors unit for my switch pitch 400 turbo.

Here I thought I was the only one going that route... few have switch pitch 400 trannies and even fewer have the gear vendor setup. 

My local street racing buddies from the 80's were all Buick guys. We use to search the scrap piles and save any switch pitch trannies we could get our hands on as well as the smaller converters out of the cars with the switch pitch super turbine 300 which had a high stall speed of around 2800 rpms and low stall at 1800.

For a hot street car that stock super turbine 300 converter worked very well in a switch pitch 400.

It is all very easy to add to an AMC case turbo 400 if you know what you are doing.
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 9:10am
The AW4 (Toyota A340) CAN be built to take 425-450 hp. You can get a complete performance built A340 from IPT (Import Performance Transmissions) for around $3k. It will last -- is run behind hopped up turbo Supras. At least the early models used the TV cable, though later ones used an electronic line pressure controller -- basically a servo motor with a link through the TV cable hole in the case that the computer controls. Wouldn't be too hard to lock the line pressure control in the high pressure position. As one of the guys on the Supra forums put it, "you have to hold your foot on the brake harder when stopped" (well, that's close to what he said...).  There are some slight differences between the AW4 and A340, but just calibration AFAIK. Anything that can be done to one should work on the other.  I'd contact IPT first though, as I know the bell is different and the pump input shaft could be a different length or splines, as well as output shaft. Their hi-po rebuild kits and valve body mods will work with the AW4 for sure.

The AW4/A340 is supposedly capable of 450 ft/lbs of torque stock, up to 650 modified (depending on level of modification). The twin turbo Supra guys run 450 hp, but the turbo I6 doesn't produce the torque that a 500 hp 401 would. TORQUE is the issue with a transmission, not hp.  So the trans can be built, and it's not as expensive as it once was. I think 501 Performane was the first US company to build them, can't really find anything on them and the AW4/A340 now, but the Performance Import Transmission site has a lot of info, and the two links below.

If $3K (+ shipping) for a performance replacement trans seems like too much money, you an always go the 2004R/700R4 with adapter route. Probably cost as much or more. I'd start looking for a 5L50/5L60 or 6L60 myself. The more gears the better! Those would probably be a bit on the expensive side though, especially since you would need an aftermarket controller, and the only one I found is $750.

PADDLE SHIFTER!!!   Bear with me a moment as I describe the rotary switch I've used to manually shift my AW4 for years. TV cable is still connected, but no shift computer. The rotary switch works well, you have to manually shift up and down. Put the shift lever in D (or OD if in a Jeep) and the trans starts in whatever position the switch is in. Simple to wire up using diodes for the logic. I have it wired to shift 1-4 with a rocker switch for the lock-up. The trans will not lock the converter in 1st, so I usually leave the lock switch on all the time. 2-3 shift is a bit hard, but if you let off the gas momentarily when shifting it's nice and smooth. The rotary switch works great as long as you have a console with armrest to mount it on so your hand naturally lies over the switch. Two disadvantages -- 1. If no conveniently located console with arm rest it's a PITA as there is no convenient place to mount it.  2. One hand is off the wheel, not good for performance driving. There is no worry about dropping into 1st at speed, or 2nd when in Drive. The trans only brakes in the top two gears -- 3-4 in D, 2-3 in "3" (IIRC that's the next down from D in the XJ). So you an drop to 1st from 70 mph and ride the brake to stop even with the lock-up engaged. I gear down for the engine braking to 3rd then drop through 2nd (even though no braking) down to first at the appropriate speed. That way if something unexpected happens I'm the right gear to get out of the way. If I dropped all the way to 1st from say 50 mph anticipating a stop (safe to do that) and for some reason needed to scoot out of the way, the engine would have to rev way up before the trans would engage due to the gearing for 1st. Going down through the gears I'd be in 3rd and ready to scoot. That's saved my butt a few times!!

I'd never seen this paddle shifter before! The logic circuit will of course work with any two momentary switches, paddles or push buttons. Real neat way to do things! I can't believe I never found it since it's a 2005 thread! But no AW4 reference, and A340 is only mentioned in the text a couple times, not in the subject. I knew Volvo used the trans in the 960, I had a 960 for a few years, but never thought to search Volvo forums!!  The link was found on the Jeep Strokers forum though... don't know how I missed it until now!!

Frank Swygert
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 2:43pm
My question is how hard is it to find a Jeep AW4 ? I'm assuming you need a 2 wheel drive Jeep and that the Toyota version does not have the AMC/Jeep bell housing pattern ? LRDaum
LRDaum
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by mramc mramc wrote:

My question is how hard is it to find a Jeep AW4 ? I'm assuming you need a 2 wheel drive Jeep and that the Toyota version does not have the AMC/Jeep bell housing pattern ? LRDaum

CamJam got one, but I assume it's all about location. Bigger towns and cities may have them more available at pick and pulls and truck salvage yards.  Though I was in the impression like the th400, an aw4 can be converted to 2 wd with proper parts. Just need a good tranny shop to source parts if that is the case. 
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
6t8amxetc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 3:01pm
I've been able to pick up 2 of them for $100-$150 off Craigslist. I have one in a complete Jeep Cherokee 2wd that I am swapping in to my Hornet also!Smile
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 3:14pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 5:25pm
In snow country 2WD Cherokees (XJs and most Grands with 4.0L used the AW4) are hard to find. More prevalent in the southeast. You CAN convert 4x4 to 2WD, but would need a 2WD AW4 for parts anyway. You should be able to use a Toyota A340 for the 2WD parts from what I've read though. The output shaft splines might be different, but you could always use the Toyota driveshaft yoke if necessary.  Converting requires total trans disassembly, just like converting a TH400.
Frank Swygert
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by mramc mramc wrote:

Row52
Vehicle Search
1987-2001 JEEP
ZIP Code
SEARCH.
Click each result and look for RWD.
95/5 it's going to be issued an automatic.
The AW4 is a Toyota product with a detachable bell housing. The Jeeps are issued this transmission with the AMC bell pattern. I know, the answer is don't think about it. The more you try to figure it out the hard way the more it's going to hurt. Make sure you grab the output yolk and torque converter while you're picking.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic