TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My 73 Gremlin build project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
73 Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2015 at 10:06am
On another note, the week before last I bought a 78 Gremlin for parts. It was a mostly complete 6 cyl car in solid but neglected shape. Not sure of the history but I believe it was left behind some years ago at a mechanics shop and then rolled into storage.

The seller was a very difficult type who got fairly abrasive when I countered his asking price. He locked up the storage yard right away, wouldn't look at me and said " He ask's a fair price and doesn't negotiate", he went back into his shop and stuck his head under a Camero hood and turned his back on me. This not being my first county fair I remained calm, thanked him for his time, then raised my offer, which he refused not so politely. I thanked him again and walked across the street and started my truck and sat there pretending to fool with the phone. I was thinking to myself "If this guy is smart enough, he wont let me leave with my money". After just a few minute's here he comes out of the shop and across the street and we struck a deal. I came up a little more and he came down, deal done.

So far the car has gone down quite a bit, front sheetmetal, doors, bucket seats, windshield, and the dash are all gone and I am almost at my breakeven point. At this point I am going to break even and get my parts for free, which was the name of the game anyway. With a little luck I'm going to put some money in my pocket and have everything I need to complete my car.
Butch B
Rodney Schultz View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodney Schultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2015 at 2:23pm
PM sent regarding parts car.
Rodney
'78 Gremlin... The never ending project... But we will succeed!
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2015 at 2:54pm
I dropped off my latest 401 at the machine shop yesturday to start the rebuild. Then it gets mated to a 727 and going into our 74 gremlin.

71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2015 at 7:03pm
Twins Big smile
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2015 at 12:23am
Great minds think alike
Butch B
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2015 at 10:01am
Disc brakes being installed.
Butch B
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2015 at 10:10am
Different brake pedals from the 73 and the 78 disc brake car. The one with 2 holes in it is the 78. I welded a tab on the 73 pedal and used it as the mc rod was longer on the 78 mc and the brake pedal would have been up way to high. The mc rods from the 73 to the 78 were not interchangable and I didnt want to cut the rod to shorten it.

[/URL]
Butch B
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2016 at 1:17pm
No big leaps forward on the Gremlin although a few small improvements have added up. I tinted the 1/4 windows and installed and tinted the rear hatch glass and lift arms. Was going to tint the side glass too but ran out of tint film. I swapped a like new set of Cragars destined for another project with the old ones on the Gremlin and bought new lug nuts ($30). The better wheels really set the car off nicely.

I have been looking for some flat type black paint to do the hood but for now I am going to go with black base urethane. I made the mistake of wiping the hood off with lacquer thinner before trying to paint it. Even after 3 sandings and cleaning the paint it still fish eyes like mad. Sigh.

I went to install the buckets but realized too late that like a DF I sold the tracks with the buckets from the yellow donor car. Rather than trying to find another set of AMC tracks I will probably get some junkyard sliders from some other make and adapt them.

The disc brake upgrade probably saved both me and the car. On one of the rare occasions I drive it some dip**** didnt stop at the light before turning right at the freeway on ramp. He popped out in front of me on my right sliding sideways as I crossed the intersection. I locked up the brake to avoid him, something that would not have happened with the old front drums.

I got a cheap dash cam at WallyWorld and now seldom drive without it.

I did show it in the Phoenix ComicCon Car show. Its cool to put the little Gremmie out in front of 90,000 people. ( The theme of the show is "Will it make it?" and features a lot of Mad Max type stuff and Cars styled after movie and TV show cars). The promoter laughed when I pulled up. He told me straight out  " You know the only reason I let you in this show is because this is a Gremlin"

LOL
Butch B
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2017 at 11:56am
Finally putting together the 327 for the Gremlin.
Butch B
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2017 at 12:07pm
Just looking back over this thread and noticed this.
oops spoke too soon, had to edit my 'AMC PRIDE' statement because I noticed you want to put a Chevrolet engine in it...
No Apologies? To us 'purists'?
It's an intense rivalry. Nothing more & nothing less.
This thread belongs in the Frankenrambler category.

I've decided to nickname this car "Blasphemy" as a nod to all the AMC purists out there.
LOL

Butch B
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic