TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My 73 Gremlin build project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
73 Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2014 at 3:49pm
A Canary Gremlin cross...sounds like a mix breed.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2014 at 10:58am
http://s780.photobucket.com/user/tsar65/media/Gremlin/IMG_20140127_163501_712.jpg.html -
A look at the rear valance from the drivers side. The heaviest damge is on the center left near the license plate mount. If I ever have another one of these to do with this heavy of a dent I may have a flat piece of metal cut that matches the pattern of the valance and weld it on right over the damaged one and feather it in on the edges. Another option short of removing the entire panal would be to remove the tank and cut out the flat vertical panel behind valance so the metal can be accessed from both sides. That panel is mostly blocked from view by the gas tank and would not need  a high finish. Knock the valance dent out from behind, weld the cut vertical section back in, grind it back down, put some kitty hair type fiberglass over the welded area to prevent moisture movement, smooth that off, prime it, paint it black, put the tank back in and go.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2014 at 7:11pm
http://s780.photobucket.com/user/tsar65/media/Gremlin/IMG_20140127_210136_258.jpg.html -
I didnt document the before pics on the front valance but it was bashed in also. A normal condition to be expected at this point in a 41 year old cars life. This one I did drill out the spot welds (just 30 or so...) and remove the panels to bump the metal from both sides. Thick stuff and hard to move even off the car it was a beeauch to straighten. At this point I probably had 12 hours in the job. Its welded back on repaired and has a coat of primer.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2014 at 7:31pm
http://s780.photobucket.com/user/tsar65/media/Gremlin/IMG_20140130_200346_208.jpg.html -
I got this grill in 7 broken pieces but almost all there. I used Locktite 2 part epoxy to join the ends back to the center and Scotch blue tape as mini forms to make new mounts and mouting holes from epoxy. I also used the epoxy to add a small piece of flat stock to the underside of the grill top all the way across. (the part thats just below the hood when the hood is closed) This will give the top of the grill more strength. Additionally this grill had sagged in the center from many years of high desert temprature and intense heat. Only so much could be removed with out breaking the grill so a happy medium had to be good enough. 2 of the center slats were missing so I made some new ones from an old Dodge truck grill. I broke off the plastic from the truck grill, put it in the vice and ground it down until it was about right and glued it in. I also replaced the upper grill support brackets with some much thicker flat stock. Drill a hole in each end of the new flat stock and bend some 90* angles and your good to go. Those old stock one were certainly weak.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2014 at 3:53pm
Today I scored a Mustang GT limited slip 4:10 gear  rearend at the u-pull it yard for $76.00 Same width as the stock Gremlin.  Big smile
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2014 at 10:47pm
Neat car.......Its very hard to find a rust free Gremlin......like the original color, but I suspect you will paint it a different color.....
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 12:27am
Thanks. Not so easy to find them even here. This one was WAAAAAYYYY out in the BFE Cali desert. The seller had a little shack with hardly a flake of paint and a blue tarp on the roof to keep out the once a year (or so) rain. This guy was like something straight out of a 70's biker exploitation movie. But the people you meet are half the fun. Right?

As far as the color....I've had a few early 70's green cars. That color matched everything else in those days...living room carpets, drapes, kitchen counter tops. I had enough of it then to last me the rest of my life.

I'm done with it.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 12:40am
Speaking of green, I've been doing a little color change on the dash. I used the concentrated SEM black thru my airbrush. I enjoy using the airbrush on dashes and jams. They have so much less overspray, much better control and the ability to get in tight corners. Dont use a cheap airbrush though, it will just be a lesson in frustration. ( Ask me how I know this....) I did not paint the wheel as I plan to ditch it in favor of something nostalgic like a wood wheel...or maybe chrome chain link..... j/k http://s780.photobucket.com/user/tsar65/media/Gremlin/IMG_20140403_102927_828.jpg.html -
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73 Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 12:54am

This week I had a deal 99% done on a 350 Chevy NOS motor and built overdrive trans in an unfinished mid 70's C10 shortbed project. My plan was to get the eng/trans combo for the Gremlin (no apologies for the AMC purists here) and off the rest of truck project. 5 minutes before the tow truck got there the deal crumbled!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAUUUURRRRGGG! So fraking frustrating!!!! (Messed up paperwork and my fault to boot!) Hopefully I can still pull it off this coming week. Stay tuned.

rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 2:07am
As you're living in Arizona and are thinking about putting a chrome chain steering wheel I certainly hope you have a pair of asbestos driving gloves because you're gonna' need them if the car sits out in the sun and you jump in and grab the wheel.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic