TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My '64 Rambler Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My '64 Rambler Classic
    Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 1:19am
I decided to start a post on restoring my Rambler.  As those of you who have seen my post in the pics section know, it's in pretty good shape, at least on the surface.  It's got several leaks, a missing gas pedal, the sound system has been completely removed, the trans shift linkage is out of adjustment, it needs a new heater core, the chassis electrical system is almost completely non-functional, and the suspension is in sad shape too.

On top of all that, I want to check it out thoroughly for hidden rust.  The headliner has water stains, and the anchor points of that gas pedal had to rust out somehow.  Maybe the sources have been dealt with, maybe not.

Anyway, it's alot of little to moderate things and a few big things.  It'll probably be fairly slow going too. I've got a really bad back and neck.  On a good day, I can do an hour or two of work.  One step at a time gets the job done eventually though.

Today was a little bit of detective work and the start of chasing down leaks.  Going thru the receipts, I found out the car was painted and the seats reupholstered in 2016.  I also found out that a previous owner was a AMCRC member.  His name is Gerald Clark (maybe somebody here knows him).   Got a stack of AMCRC Rambler Readers and a 1997 AMCRC calendar.

As for the leaks, I went for the likely easiest fix of the bunch first; the power steering.  Most of a can of Berryman B12 all around the steering gear box and lines, AND getting the horn out of the way let me find that somebody doesn't know how to install hose clamps:

Replaced the clamp, cleaned up everything even more (which pretty much killed the can of B12) and tested the system.  No visible leaks with the engine running and the wheels turned hard over.  Looks like the problem is solved.  I'll know for sure after a real road test.

Oh, and here's the last remaining piece of the sound system:

Dusty and missing a button, but it appears in decent shape.  Still have to test to see if it's working at all.

Oddly enough, the OEM steel wheels are missing (I think the guy that sold it to me kept them), BUT I have 4 OEM 14" hubcaps in great shape in the trunk.
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 1:52am
Where are you in CA?  I have several 14 inch 5 inch wide (or 51/2) Rambler wheels if you need them.

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 2:00am
Thanks, Joe.  I'll keep that in mind, but I'm actually kind of liking the look of the Cragar smoothies that somebody put on the car.  I'm going to hang onto the hubcaps though, just in case I decide to go with a more stock look on the car at some point.

rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 7:15am
Nothing really new to update today, I just need to vent / rant a little.  Slept wrong last night and somehow tweaked my right elbow.  That put the kibosh on any real work today.

I did try to get the heater core out today (well, yesterday now).  Something that should have been easy, but the bottom 2 fasteners on the housing were replaced with nuts and bolts going thru the firewall, so I need a second person to keep a wrench on the nut while I wrench on the bolt.

Leak checking the power steering a little more drew my attention to the suspension.  Most of the bushings there are shot, and based on the tire wear, the car needs an alignment too.  Got a little better look at the front discs also.  I was hoping they'd be one of the Wilwood kits out there.  No such luck though, it's a system taken from another car.  NO idea what from or what the replacement parts would be.  I can't find the proportioning valve either, just what appears to be the metering valve

You'd think if people were going to Frankenstein a car, they'd have the common sense to document it all for their own records and the benefit of future owners.  I was able to locate the exact radiator and alternator on the car though.  That's a plus.

Long rant short, I'm feeling a bit stressed and overwhelmed by the potential amount of work this car MAY need.  The "Celebrity Rambler" thread showing all the hidden rust on an otherwise good looking car hasn't helped either, LOL

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 8:05am
Keep up a positive attitude, they are all a "can of worms"...
slow steady progress is better than none.......

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 8:50am
Thanks, Ollie.  I'm trying.  Smile

rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2018 at 3:52am
So, my first update in a few days...

I wasn't able to do anything meaningful to the car in the last few days due to tweaking my elbow somehow while I was sleeping.  However, the replacement parts pile is still growing.

Today I also managed to find a DIY garage in town that's still open too!  Miracle of miracles.  I always thought they were a neat concept, but that today's lawsuit happy society made them a liability nightmare.  Anyway, I'm trying to arrange space there so that I can pull the engine and do the gaskets properly.  If it works out as hoped, I plan on dropping the tank to check on a suspected float issue also, and maybe pull the fenders and interior to do a thorough rust inspection.  Bothers me that the gas pedal I found had the connecting tabs rusted out.  Then again, I'm assuming that actually came from this car AND rusted out while on the car...

Anyway, if all works out, I plan to hit the ground running hard and fast to get the car done and out of there.  Time costs money after all, LOL.  But if all goes according to plan, I should have lots of pics to post in the next few weeks.

rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2018 at 7:43pm
Took dang near a week to work out arrangements, but I will *FINALLY* have space to work at the local DIY Car Club on Thursday.  NOT happy with the delays there.

As for the car itself, I got a little bit done today.  I finally cleaned the mountain of crap out of the trunk for starters.  Pulled the back seat out also since I'm going to be checking the chassis wiring from nose to tail.

MAJOR annoyance; I found rust under the trunk liner.  I'm more mad at myself there than anything.  A good chunk of the later portion of my wrenching career was doing inspections and restoration for CarMax.  By the time I left, I had a hair over 3000 inspections under my belt.  I *should* have known better and been more thorough.  I let the excitement of finding a classic at an affordable price cloud my judgement though.  Looks like the back sides of the quarter panels are showing some painted over rust also

Looks like there's at least some patch panels in the Rambler's future.   Not too surprising for a 54 year old car, but I'm still mad at myself for missing it initially.  On top of my CarMax experience, I did Ford resto work with my ex father-in-law.  He always preached bring one of those floppy refrigerator magnets and go over everything to look for hidden bondo and rust.

On the plus side, the rear floor pans look good.  Won't know about the front sections till I pull the front seat.  Rest assured the seats, carpeting and fenders are all getting pulled to look for rust now though.

rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2018 at 5:02am
OK, so nothing posted in a week...  Primarily because I've been jerked around by the car club where I was supposed to be doing the work on the Rambler.  I made a separate post ranting about THAT.

About the only thing I have been able to do was get the Rambler up on their lift for an underside inspection.  Good and bad news there; NO rust visible at all, but more leaks than I thought.

Power Steering is still a mess, and I have no idea how much is extra leaks and how much is running down from above

The torque tube has leaks at both the diff and tranny ends too:

AND most of the tranny is a leaky mess:

I got a look at the back side of what I presume is my scarebird front brake system also:

I didn't get a chance to pull the wheels though, and I doubt I'm even going to try to do anything with the Rambler until the BS with the club gets straightened out.  At this point, moving the contents of our home garage into storage and doing the work at home is sounding better and better.

SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2018 at 10:44pm
Ah....that Rambler undercoat...."The torque tube has leaks at both the diff and tranny ends too". The good news is it keeps rust off those areas. Cool pics - glad you found a spot of the DIY garage. Sorry it sounds like it's not working out. One step at a time and you will get that girl back on the road. Sort of cool the previous owner was in the AMCRC. I've been in that club since 1980. I don't recognize the name, but I can ask some others.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic